It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. is still using floppy disks to run its nuclear program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

That's according to a new report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), which found that the Pentagon was still using 1970s-era computing systems that require "eight-inch floppy disks."

The GAO report says that U.S. government departments spend upwards of $60 billion a year on operating and maintaining out-of-date technologies.

its floppy systems -- which currently coordinate intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft

Source
The idea that our ballistic missiles and nuclear bombers are managed by ancient computer systems that still use floppy disks is a little scary... There's the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but then according to this report, it would've been roughly 3 times cheaper to modernize these systems.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
The idea that our ballistic missiles and nuclear bombers are managed by ancient computer systems that still use floppy disks is a little scary...

From what I understand they will be switching over to the WOPR system shortly.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollzbut then according to this report, it would've been roughly 3 times cheaper to modernize these systems.

The actual quote is "That's three times the investment on modern IT systems".

That doesn't mean that operating costs are 3 times as expensive as replacing it with modern technology.

Modernizing legacy systems can be extremely expensive and fraught with problems. That's why a lot of large corporations are still using mainframes from the 60's and 70's in critical areas.
edit on 26-5-2016 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: trollz
The idea that our ballistic missiles and nuclear bombers are managed by ancient computer systems that still use floppy disks is a little scary...

From what I understand they will be switching over to the WOPR system shortly.

Hah! I see what you did there😂
But seriously. It makes that meme of Kim Jong Un holding a floppy disc claiming "With this technology, I will bring the U.S. to its knees". A wee bit concerning 😕
edit on 26-5-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Wonder if Hilary keeps her emails on floppies ?

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Probably they don't upgrade the nuke system because by now its just for show, all the old nukes must have expire by now

+8 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
It's actually more scary if they had modern up to date wireless enabled devices.

Floppy drive era technology is a lot less hackable than modern technology. No pesky USB sockets for somebody to inadvertently plug an invisible nasty into the system.

I'm quite comforted by this.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin
Wonder if Hilary keeps her emails on floppies ?

Bill uses hard disks to program his interns, I hear.

Oh no I didn't..

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Using floppies suggests the computers may not be networked.

Remember Battlestar Galactica?

Probably a smart move not to upgrade.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
It's actually more scary if they had modern up to date wireless enabled devices.

Floppy drive era technology is a lot less hackable than modern technology. No pesky USB sockets for somebody to inadvertently plug an invisible nasty into the system.

I'm quite comforted by this.

Easily corrupted magnetic media? Comforted, when it's nukes?

god forbid a head alignment error...

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whatsthisthen
Using floppies suggests the computers may not be networked.

Remember Battlestar Galactica?

Probably a smart move not to upgrade.

No it doesn't. USB sticks, re-writeable cd-roms etc, are all functional on non-networked systems. nothing a networked machine has, is needed by a standalone machine.

if you can get your hands on a usb stick and corrupt it with a trojan, you can do the same with a floppy. Hell run a magent over a floppy and you've lost all your data.

It's either not legit, or scary.

eta - the only thing I can imagine this can be good for, is who has a floppy drive these days. but then, if you know what you need, you can have it. so still.. not secure based at all...
edit on 26-5-2016 by Parafitt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

These ancient computer systems you speak of are damn near impossible to hack as the are not connected to the internet.

While these systems could be modernized, there is hardly any point in doing so. The floppy discs contain nothing of true value.

The actual code to launch nukes isn't a code in the sense that a normal person would think of a code. It i vastly more complicated. Pretty awesome actually, and is very much unique, un-hackable, and very secure.

Even if the US did modernize the systems they use for nukes, the actual capabilities and security would remain untouched and unchanged.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
[SELF-REDACTED] Sometimes it is better we keep the older tech, More secure then anything you can buy today. And Isolated away from the networks.

CoBaZ

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I think its more about risk, combined with older administrative officials who do not full understand the technology on either side of this particular time rift.

I talk to a lot of folks in my day to day life. You would be surprised to find out exactly how claptrap most official processes and policies are, both in government and in private sector.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
In IT we call that
"security through obscurity'

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Don't let articles like this fool or alarm you. There are reasons government and corporations still use "antiquated" technology. And I'm talking more than just computers. A few have been mentioned in this thread, but it's also strategic, and doesn't have the pitfalls newer tech does. All it means is, someone in government really is using their noodle.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I heard this on the last No Agenda show too.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

They also still use typewriters and Xerox machines. Why? EMP proof and can't be hacked.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

They also still use typewriters and Xerox machines. Why? EMP proof and can't be hacked.

By "Xerox', you mean mimiograph and not photocopy?

I miss the days of mimiograph.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The whole Federal government is way behind when it comes to IT in most areas. Our computers are always refurbished discontinued models, our office applications are many versions behind the current product, and it makes it a challenge to function. Hell, we just got away from Blackberry phones a few years ago.... Rocking the iPhone4 like a boss (from 2010) now!

<<   2 >>

join