It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Waves, "Freight Train" Sound?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Strange thing happened the other day on our little community beach. Normally the water is very calm except when the occasional cargo ship passes going to/from Port of Baltimore. But they are always clearly visible as the other side of the (Magothy) river very close.

So, on this particular day there wasn't a boat in sight when a "freight train sound" was heard by several people at the beach/park...then the waves started rolling in. No one got the sound recored as I suppose it was sudden and quickly gone, but the video shows the waves and the witness's reaction/confusion.

Video of Mystery Waves

Yes, the mysterious waves seem puny to ocean waves, but I'm telling you the normal "waves" at our little beach are all but non-existent. You can hear the confusion from the residents, some have been visiting this beach daily for decades.

Everything from an earthquake to a submarine has been suggested as the cause, anyone have an idea what the heck caused this?
edit on 5/22/2016 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Wow....it reminds me of a small tsunami type waves ....what ever it was caused a lot of waves !!

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

Could be meteorological tsunami, doesn't explain the sound though.

SOURCE WIKI

A meteotsunami or meteorological tsunami[6] is a tsunami-like wave of meteorological origin. Meteotsunamis are generated when rapid changes in barometric pressure cause the displacement of a body of water. In contrast to "ordinary" impulse-type tsunami sources, a traveling atmospheric disturbance normally interacts with the ocean over a limited period of time (from several minutes to several hours).[2] Tsunamis and meteotsunamis are otherwise similar enough that it can be difficult to distinguish one from the other, as in cases where there is a tsunami wave but there are no seismic records of an earthquake.

edit on 22-5-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
"Bloop" tooted.
Tacos of the Elder Gods.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The water didn't recede before the incoming surge? That lends the surge or waves being more akin to a passing vessel, either cloaked (tilt) or maybe a submarine? Where was this recorded?

The sounds could be related to all the little breakers coming in and receding, they did sorta sound surf like.

Or the cloaked vessels engines… or a tsunami somewhere half way round the world.

Neat video…

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No one said anything about the water receding, and the reported sound wasn't the waves themselves...it was something that happened just before the waves rolled in.

Cape St. Claire MD...Annapolis

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Tried watching the video, it won't work.

YouTube is so easy to upload to and use these days...

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

No one said anything about the water receding…

I know, so it can't be a tsunami…

…and the reported sound wasn't the waves themselves…it was something that happened just before the waves rolled in.

Judging by the video, a large vessel passed by and was gone long before the wake arrived. Unless you have proof of something else that is…

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Yup, source link not working. Says "URL signature expired".

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Yeah. Me too.
OP, please renew the link. Or something.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
www.facebook.com...

From FB, not sure why original link died. Try this link
edit on 5/22/2016 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

My impression is not a boat wake.
But a combination of tide change and meteorological conditions can produce wave trains.
ntwc.arh.noaa.gov...

And to clarify; the term wave train has nothing to do with freight trains.

edit on 5/22/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That is what I am thinking.

It is possible, something underwater fell or has risen.

However I find it odd that other insturments haven't picked it up.

I don't know how they could cover this stuff up.
www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

Maybe they can. I doublt it. There are alot of us watching this stuff.
edit on 22-5-2016 by crappiekat because: to add

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Is there a source available that's not hosted on facebook? Because not everyone has an account.
Edit: I see, you have to blindly click the image to get the video.

Except for the unusual straight line pattern, I can't see anything suspicious.
When two ocean currents meet at right angle (90°), they can form very "strange" patterns, even right angled waves.
The sound has not been recorded?
edit on 23-5-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

This isn't the ocean, it's a river...but it is not far from where it feeds into the Chesapeake Bay. The general consensus around here is that it was a tidal bore. It doesn't seem that way to me (judging solely by vids I've watched online) but I'm no expert.

I've seen similar (but smaller) waves at that beach when a cargo ship was passing...those huge things lumber by so slowly they're visible for at least 15-20 minutes. It's usually quite an event too, people on the beach 'ew' and 'ah'...there's not much to do in The 'Cape if you don't count our annual Strawberry Festival

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Basically you just need two currents, this can happen in rivers where two streams meet at the right conditions, too
But since you live there I'll go with your theory.

new topics

top topics

join