It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does everyone think they MUST belong????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I've always been something of a rebel. Always standing on the periphery. Always one foot inside a circle, the other outside.

I've been perfectly fine. I've learned to be and know that I am comfortable in my own skin.

WHY must everyone belong to a group? WHY must everyone "need" to be acknowledged....recognized?

WHY must everyone seem to feel the need to pidgeon hole themselves, label themselves....

And in my mind, LIMIT themselves?

African American. Heterosexual Male. Conservatives. Liberals. He. She. Ze. Cis. Non-binary (ok, this is just getting ludicrious, doubt me? Google what CIS actually means. Read the definition of binary, and tell me that it truly applies to a human being).....

I am MANY things. I do not need the "community" to support or to validate myself.

I'm honestly thinking this is a part of what we're seeing with LGBT issues. Also, with racial issues. Remember that gal Rachel who "identified" as being african american?

Me? I am a 46 year old caucasian male. I am of Scottish/Irish/Sioux/Cherokee/English/Dutch heritage. I have been overweight all my life. I am intelligent. I tend to agree with Libertarians. If forced, I'd express rather Buddhist beliefs. I do not "do" sports. I am a major geek. I am a self avowed intelligence and learning aficionado. I am a father. I am a husband. I am heterosexual. I have anxiety and depression issues that are genetic in origin and inherited from family. I am a free thinker. I tend to like animals better, on first glance, than other people.

I am many, many things. But, as no other person can be me, I am VERY VERY comfortable in simply being me. No affiliation, no label, no membership card in my wallet.

And I am perfectly damned comfortable without wearing a name tag and a badge that denotes what labels should be applied to me.

Why in the world must 95% or more people insist on trumpeting these things about themselves?

Why is it that the vast majority of people willingly accept societies will and be categorized?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Better question. Why does everyone else have the feeling they must force me to belong? I dont , and I aint.
Period.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Although I have no real answer as to why people must be in a (place category here) group. I can say I am like you, but me, my self and I. I have always been who I uniquely am. Also as you..I have one foot in, one foot out. I think this need to belong to a sub-sect is a result of the influence of mass media and social programming. Just to feel a sense of worth from acceptance of others vs. self worth(much more valuable).

It is a sad time for individual thinkers. And those who stand on their own.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Once you identify yourself as "something" then you can be categorized and subsequently, manipulated.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Better question. Why does everyone else have the feeling they must force me to belong? I dont , and I aint.
Period.

Bully for you!!!!!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Once you identify yourself as "something" then you can be categorized and subsequently, manipulated.

Precisely.

Honestly, I've always thought that the bumper sticker phenomenon of passive aggressively announcing personal views, and affiliations.... as the height of stupidity.

Just look at those who have been vandalized due to a political bumper sticker declaration?

Why in the flying f&ck do you feel the need to inform the person behind you on the highway that you're gay? Are you expecting me to follow and say "Hey, saw your bumper sticker, I'm gay too!"

Fecking sheep. Just fecking sheep.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

So i must be categorized as a "Jappee".. how do you manipulate a "Jappeeist"?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: jappee

Although I have no real answer as to why people must be in a (place category here) group. I can say I am like you, but me, my self and I. I have always been who I uniquely am. Also as you..I have one foot in, one foot out. I think this need to belong to a sub-sect is a result of the influence of mass media and social programming. Just to feel a sense of worth from acceptance of others vs. self worth(much more valuable).

It is a sad time for individual thinkers. And those who stand on their own.

I've come to view free and critical thinking as something of a fetish. Honesty, as well.

Weren't these people taught as children that it's ok to be yourself? To feel good about being yourself, and not what others judge or expect you to be?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Only if you accept that bondage.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Sweaty pole dancers with chilled bottles of vodka.

Oh wait, that's me.

Never mind.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Weren't these people taught as children that it's ok to be yourself? To feel good about being yourself, and not what others judge or expect you to be?

Apparently not. Dependency is a useful control mechanism.

Only if you accept that bondage.

touché

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Dad always told us , " Live a good life.Be your own person and ta hell with what anyone else thinks"
And back to the OP
Talk about categories. Once upon a time a census worker showed up at my door. To "help" me fill out the census form . I had "forgotten" (hahaha) to fill it out. When it came to the part about race , I answered human. The nice lady became argumentative and stated that I belonged to the Caucasian Race .I kept up the debate. Caucasian is not a race defined by biology. Human Race is. She finally gave up and put : Race - other - Human . I told her thanks for not falsifying a government document. Then it turned to Religion....to go on would make this a rather long post. But all should get the picture and surmise how it went from there.
Peace

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Sweaty pole dancers with chilled bottles of vodka.
It seems you got my number...want company?

link   
"Why do people need to be recognised".

Always makes me laugh when someone starts a thread with that as the main premise. Lol.

Plain and simple we evolved this way. Social dynamics and cohesion were a vital part of our success as a species and enhanced our chances of survival. We can live independently more than ever but we are more than likely feeling the effects of a genome lag. What was once beneficial and a key survival tool is not as relevant in today's society, like depression. It's still a driving force that we won't shed for thousands of years to come.

link   
I honestly don't know why they feel the need. But at least here in the US, we have a whole generation raised on wanting their 15 minutes, so most of the time they put themselves into a category to do so.

I've never understood it, but I wasn't raised to "idolize" stars, worry about fashion, and so on.

It seems to be too scary, to just be an individual, anymore.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I didn't chose the group I was marginalized into....but a proud member of....

" people like you"

whoever they are...
edit on 20-5-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
"Why do people need to be recognised".

Always makes me laugh when someone starts a thread with that as the main premise. Lol.

Plain and simple we evolved this way. Social dynamics and cohesion were a vital part of our success as a species and enhanced our chances of survival. We can live independently more than ever but we are more than likely feeling the effects of a genome lag. What was once beneficial and a key survival tool is not as relevant in today's society, like depression. It's still a driving force that we won't shed for thousands of years to come.

My only need for recognition is of who I am as an individual, not as any group. I find it near impossible to group me with any sub-sect of anything...simply I am me. So I see a flaw with your theory. Social cohesion has done little for me as a whole. Yes, I benefit from social interactions. But only because of who I am as an individual and not with whom I belong/identify with.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I'd rather not belong for the most part. I'm more creative and confident when I am by myself or with my closest people, people i know wouldn't pass judgment or make me feel I need to "be" a certain way.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

You mean like "swingers" ?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
nullafides

The same reason you started this thread.

👍

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join