It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump changes tune on tax hikes for wealthy Americans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Reuters

"I am willing to pay more, and you know what, the wealthy are willing to pay more," Trump told ABC's "This Week."

After effectively sealing the Republican nomination for the Nov. 8 presidential election last week, Trump has used speeches and interviews to offer more details on his policy positions.

The billionaire real estate tycoon has said he would like to see an increase in the minimum wage, although he told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday he would prefer to see states take the lead on that front instead of the federal government.

"I don't know how people make it on $7.25 an hour," Trump said of the current federal minimum wage. "I would like to see an increase of some magnitude. But I'd rather leave it to the states. Let the states decide."

What will supporters think now?

Provided he doesn't flip-flop again and maintains this new position will Trump be able to hold onto fiscal Conservatives? Or will this cause fiscal Conservatives to finally realize that the ultra wealthy can't keep just keep running roughshod over the American middle-class?

If I recall correctly Trump would be the first Republican, since Conservatives took over the party anyway, to state a desire to raise taxes during a campaign.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Where is Trump changing his statements on tax increases for the rich? I cannot see it in the article.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
he has always said that. he also believes there should be safety nets for the very low income americans

what do you expect from a democrat ?

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
Where is Trump changing his statements on tax increases for the rich? I cannot see it in the article.

It's coming from a Clinton Campaign insider...

The Clinton campaign said Trump was trying to pander to voters beyond those who supported him in the Republican nominating contests and that he had no intention of raising the taxes of wealthy people.

"Don't believe Donald Trump's weak attempts at a general election 'makeover' for even a second," Christina Reynolds, a Clinton campaign spokeswoman, said in a statement. "Trump's economic plans take direct aim at working Americans - his proposal to cut trillions in taxes for the top one percent would almost certainly come at the expense of working- and middle-class families."

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

"I am willing to pay more, and you know what, the wealthy are willing to pay more," Trump told ABC's "This Week."

This is how Trump lays out all his policies.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest
Er, I know Republican's that believe it. They just don't think it should be as extreme as Democrat's. As it currently is.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Actually earlier in his campaign, when there were still other Republicans running, he said he was going to cut taxes from the top, down.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

No. It came directly from him.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

I'm one of them.

So kali, you're liberal, do you have a problem with taxing rich people now?

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I'm not a liberal.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yes, on his website...since Q3 of last year...

Trump released a tax proposal last September that included broad tax breaks for businesses and households. He proposed reducing the highest income tax rate to 25 percent from the current 39.6 percent rate.

There is no change. What is this post about?

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Read the thread.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

If you understood Trumps tax plan virtually this entire time, this isn't a change from what he said before. While he has always tried to make it sound like he was for fewer taxes, he wants a simplified tax code largely without deductions and a rate on the top 20% of 20% and 25% while they currently have an effective rate of 13-16%.

originally posted by: Kali74

Actually earlier in his campaign, when there were still other Republicans running, he said he was going to cut taxes from the top, down.

His rhetoric has always framed this in the context of cutting the rates such as dropping from 39.6% to 25%. His plans have always focused on the effective rate though which represents an increase for most people as most effective rates are between 13 and 16. This is a necessity considering he wants to increase spending significantly (his tax increases still aren't enough for his proposed spending though).

The whole thing comes from a difference between what people pay and what they think they pay. Your tax bracket is not your effective rate, but politicians that are looking to bring out the anti tax people (usually conservatives) always like to spin it like it is.
edit on 8-5-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
If Trump was willing to pay more taxes then he wouldn't have said this:

Donald Trump says he uses 'every single thing in the book' to avoid paying taxes

I think he's lying.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Everyone uses every trick in the book to avoid paying taxes.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
We can just tap into spacing mining ventures instead of taxing out wealth to such a large degree or even use such taxes to fund
said mining/exploration ventures.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

So why is he all of a sudden saying he is willing to pay more in taxes when he uses every trick in the book to avoid paying them?

Doesn't really make much sense does it? That's kinda like me saying I want to go on a diet as I stuff my face with cheesecake.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Threat title: Trump changes tune on tax hikes for wealthy

This is how Trump lays out all his policies.

so there is actually nothing in the link or nothing said to suggest he's changing his tune on taxing the rich

your just assuming and stating it as fact because you dont like him?
edit on 8/5/16 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/5/16 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Why would you willinglg lay taxes if you didn't have to?

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: onequestion

So why is he all of a sudden saying he is willing to pay more in taxes when he uses every trick in the book to avoid paying them?

Doesn't really make much sense does it? That's kinda like me saying I want to go on a diet as I stuff my face with cheesecake.

It's not all of a sudden. At one point Trump was laughed out of Clinton's office (Bill's) because of the tax plan he proposed to eliminate the national debt.

www.cnn.com...:ALLPOLITICS

To summarize, at one point he proposed an ~15% tax on everyone and everything in the US with a net worth over $10 million, starting at the very richest American and working their way down until enough had been confiscated that the national debt was eliminated, then once that was done he wanted to take a bit more and give it to the poor and middle class.

Trump has always been a tax and spend type of person. His business persona is that of the great provider. He gives millions jobs, and his government influence has been similar, he likes to be the person that provides a living for a large number of people. That's what you should expect from a Trump presidency.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join