It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Unintentional Influence of the Avatar

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Well if I have to be perfectly honest, Q, it was hideous!

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

It had that sort of special Mars atmosphere, Total Recall effect going for it.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Thank you chirp, it was the worst. I had 5 PM's telling me to remove it now lol

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

LOL, now I am spilling coffee. Ketsuko you always make me laugh, chirp too!

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Jeezus.. I didn't even see that one Quantum.

I would have responded to that. Holy wow...

To Ketsuko.

I guess that's probably as good a way to see me as any. "The MST3K Guy".... heheee.

I never stopped to think until this moment... That's all I really do here is riff on life.

Good stuff.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Judging by my own personal experiences, I would say that yes avatars DO make a difference in the way we perceive text on screen. I think most people attempt to convince themselves that they don't judge posts in accordance with the avatar associated with that post, but it's so hard not to.

It's a form of conditioning. After enough time has elapsed, you begin to associate positive feelings with avatars of those who usually agree with you, or who you grow fond of as members. Similarly, you tend to associate negative feelings with avatars of those who are usually rude to you, strongly disagree with you or are antagonistic at every opportunity.

I try my best not to do this, because it is illogical. Each post should be based on its own merit, not the messenger behind the post. But I am only human and sometimes cannot help it...

edit on 8/5/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I agree whole heartedly with the OP. I wish I didn't. But I got over it quickly. I skipped the lurker phase because I didn't know that was an option. So, when I had multiple welcomes, I was stunned by all the weird pictures. Even last week, I received a belated welcome from a fellow with a horrible looking dog Avatar, oh, bestinshow...his really startled me, and having owned a vet clinic in the past, I thought I had seen it all.

I think, like it or not, the "picture says a thousand words" even though we try to supercede them with the sentiment on the thread. But, sub-consciously, it's too late. That said, once here a while, we develop a sort of second skin and it becomes second nature to see even an ugly Avatar and smile big time to see this mysterious friend make an appearance on the same thread.

Plus now I have evolved to where I click on the name and "check them out" before responding. I think I welcomed the same troll a dozen times, unknowingly, but I have also experienced a second level of appreciation for the ones who welcomed me, once I learned what happens when you push this button or that one.

I'm still sort of wincing over mine, both name and imagined picture. I chose it because I used to have a clownfish and I like how he approached and interacted with his environment. But same issue. Some people, including myself at times, can not get past the clown or the fish issue and so I just sigh a lot. But Esoterically speaking, I love my choice.

Anyway, I like yours. Always have.

CF

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

I like your avatar!

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

See, there we go.. A few posts in, and already, perspectives have been lent. Things have been noted, and actions might be taken.

Indeed! I'm quite intrigued.

I'm also now wondering if the lack of an avatar has any bearing on responses and perspectives. I never thought about it before though. Perhaps even unconsciously.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Oh, I don't know. I usually completely disagree, sometimes vociferously with both reldra and the one who always has her German shepards in her avatars (can't think of the handle at the moment), but I love their avatars.
edit on 8-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

Maybe.

I went without an avatar for a long time because I didn't want to bother with figuring out how to set one. Now that I have, I find that I simply switch them up all the time.

I'm not even sure what I would take on if I asked for one that was representative of "me."

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Not exactly what you mean, but an unintentional effect of mine is that people think I'm a woman. I just use what I think is beautiful.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I really like this one, but it is very obviously only for the Christmas season.

If you're a Walken fan on this board, you could do worse than this one.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

LOL, they are all great!

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I see people saying they have been asked to change their avatar..... I wouldn't dream of suggesting that. It just seems like I'd be stepping on toes. Who am I to say that it needs to be changed. Even the creepiest avatars wouldn't prompt me to make that request. (And there are a couple that I have to scroll past quickly, especially late at night.)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

I had this one for while and it apparently really upset someone.

I actually used it not because I was making fun of either Hillary or Bernie, but because it took me a while to realize that it was actually a fusion of the two. It looked like a third person to me. I thought it was a really well done fusion of their faces.

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
What exactly is wrong with it? Even if you were making fun of them, so what?

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

I think the OP is saying hey are you responding to the looks of the avatar.
If I had this set as my avatar, no one would respond to a post, on in a pm telling me to trash it.

Lol try it on for a day
edit on 5 8 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I just made a scene laughing so hard at that! It's great!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join