It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount St. Helens Volcano Recharging

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

INDEED.

I have had 3 or so loved ones live near Baker. I suggested they consider it and pray about whether to stay or not. Then I lost track of them. I hope they moved.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

It's interesting to have these discussions, and I'm glad you've pointed out that there is no imminent risk of eruption too. I would say however that there are much better sources than the Daily Heil.

Mount St. Helens has been slowly recharging for a long time as far as I can see, and the quakes are happening at a much lower depth than would indicate an eruption would be imminent, but of course it will erupt eventually.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaMaa
It was the most deadliest blast? I thought something like 50-55 people died, many of whom simply refused to evacuate and eventually died due to asphyxiation of hot ash.

Coincidentally I watched a documentary about this just last night.
57 people were killed in the eruption, and this was a mixture of scientists, locals and employees of companies working in the area.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I remember when it went in 1980 , genuinely an eye opening moment for me , I remember the fallout from it even felt over here in the UK.

I doubt a future eruption would be on that scale , the Yellowstone Caldera is of more concern I think , if that goes it would be a global event on a scale not seen by modern man.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Here's one of many live cam links:

www.fs.fed.us...

When you see the elk running away, it's ON....

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Onesmartdog

Greetings and welcome to ATS! You will find a plethora of knowledgeable folks round these parts about the shaking quaking earth beneath our feet.

Specifically to your interest in the NMSZ, here is a good (scary) read for what might happen in the event of a repeat occurrence that happened there prior, from the abstract:

The results indicate that Tennessee, Arkansas, and Missouri are most severely impacted. Illinois and Kentucky are also impacted, though not as severely as the previous three states. Nearly 715,000 buildings are damaged in the eight-state study region. About 42,000 search and rescue personnel working in 1,500 teams are required to respond to the earthquakes. Damage to critical infrastructure (essential facilities, transportation and utility lifelines) is substantial in the 140 impacted counties near the rupture zone, including 3,500 damaged bridges and nearly 425,000 breaks and leaks to both local and interstate pipelines. Approximately 2.6 million households are without power after the earthquake. Nearly 86,000 injuries and fatalities result from damage to infrastructure. Nearly 130 hospitals are damaged and most are located in the impacted counties near the rupture zone. There is extensive damage and substantial travel delays in both Memphis, Tennessee, and St. Louis, Missouri, thus hampering search and rescue as well as evacuation. Moreover roughly 15 major bridges are unusable. Three days after the earthquake, 7.2 million people are still displaced and 2 million people seek temporary shelter. Direct economic losses for the eight states total nearly $300 billion, while indirect losses may be at least twice this amount.

Impact of New Madrid Seismic Zone Earthquakes on the Central USA, Vol. 1 and 2

This was published back in 2009, so I think the dollar estimate for damages might be a bit low.

To the thread in general, re: the idea of an uptick in seismic/volcanic activity.

Personally, I think it is related to the solar system entering a denser portion of the magnetic fluff. See this excellent thread for more details and also my thread here (which I need to get back to and finish) regarding a possible link between the two phenomena of an Electric Universe (yes, I know there are a lot of holes in the theory, but the standard model is full of as many, if not more) and the Expanding Earth hypothesis.

I am thinking that the very minimal solar maximum we are experiencing right now is indicative of a phase wherein inner activity is increased within celestial bodies thus resulting in fewer apparent sunspots. As a result of that, the planetary systems are also experiencing greater inner activity; in other words, the earth (and other celestial bodies) are entering a growth spurt phase similar to how children undergo periods of rapid growth and development in very short time frames.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Onesmartdog

a pretty good novel on the that fault is called "the rift". it is about what would happen if that were to go off today like it did back in 1810-1811.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
double post
edit on 5/7/16 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Signals

Thanks for the link. But, what does this mean?

This camera has the capability to offer live streaming. However, our current bandwidth limitations and government security requirements do not allow for live streaming right now.

I understand the bandwidth, but what would government security have to do with a volcano web cam stream?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join