It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab-grown meat is in your future, and it may be healthier than the real stuff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
By Marta Zaraska 2 May 2016
The Washington Post

www.washingtonpost.com... 4-e630-11e5-a6f3-21ccdbc5f74e_story.html

. . .
In August 2013, a team of Dutch scientists showed off their lab-grown burger (cost: $330,000) and even provided a taste test. Two months ago, the American company Memphis Meats fried the first-ever lab meatball (cost: $18,000 per pound). Those who have tasted these items say they barely differ from the real deal.
The Dutch and the Americans claim that within a few years lab-produced meats will start appearing in supermarkets and restaurants. And these are not the only teams working on cultured meat (as they prefer to call it). Another company, Modern Meadow, promises that lab-grown “steak chips” — something between a potato chip and beef jerky — will hit the stores in the near future, too.
. . .
In some aspects, researchers say, lab-grown meat might be better for us. Because cultured meats would be produced in sterile environments, they would be free of such dangerous bacteria. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that pathogens in conventional meat are the most common sources of fatal food-related infections.
. . .

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

Have watched this from a distance for some years.
I know there are some UFO abduction reports where abductees were shown vast vats where meat was grown--a la in a lab environment. The first such I read was probably 30+ years ago. I knew then that it would eventually surface in our era in our culture and society. And it has.
The initial reports were somewhat underwhelming in sounding attractive. This article sounds like it has advanced quite a bit in efficiency, attractiveness and taste.
And, they sound like the energy requirements may be diminished markedly. The other environmental advantages sound quite significant.
Then there's the wonderful prospect of relieving cruelty by not having to kill animals to provide food. A lot of us would love to see that.
What do y'all think about such prospects?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN
Boring!

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN I think its weird and makes me uncomfortable. If I want to be at one with animal's as food because I don't want to harm them, I will become a vegetarian.
I get disturbed by tampering with nature to ''grow''/make meat or other science projects like GMO's.
Maybe as human beings we need the bacteria. We have been eating meat for thousands of years.
Plus this concept makes me think Soylent Green is in the future too.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Those are certainly interesting points.

And I am CERTAINLY against GMO's.

I still prefer not to needlessly kill animals and I still believe in eating meat. So, you can see how this tech might be attractive to me--in theory--in principle. It remains to be seen how the oligarchy might mess it up before it gets to our tables.

Soylent Green . . . Wellllllll the PTB are serious about DEPOPULATION. Time will tell. Sigh.

Thanks for your kind reply.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Cool, now the factory workers and the cattle industry can hang out during their time off.

What will be the new currency when nobody has a job?

All this will do is create price increases for meat, so the rich get New York Strips and everyone else gets test tube spamburgers.

Very few man made ingredients/chemicals are healthy. Look at Aspertame. Yummy formaldehyde.sugar.

Why does it feel like someone is trying their best to extinct the human race?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I certainly believe that the Dark lord and his human oligarchy stooges are trying to mostly exterminate the human race.

And, your points could come more true than we'd ever imagine.

I don't throw the technology out automatically or totally. But I am very wary about it.

The jobs thing COULD be handled effectively and compassionately IF they wanted to. They rarely seem to want to.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I think I am going to be sick. Lab grown meat..
What's wrong with eating beef and chicken or spare ribs on the grill. I think the people doing the taste test like Tofu.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Just NO and ICK!!
Currently our meat pumped up with "extra's" isn't winning any nutritional prizes. However, plain regular farmed meat has enzymes and all kinds of goodness we do need. Not nearly in the qualities we snarfle it down, but it is necessary for humans.

Moving to lab grown meat is the antithesis of healthy since we are already suffering from food-overprocessing.

Instead I would suggest purchasing from smaller sources. Here we have a few Elk and Bison farms and one meat market that sells only beef raised on their farm. I know not everyone has access to places like these, but we would if we voted with our $$$$.

Lamb from New Zealand is always on hand from Sam's Club. Bison Patties at Trader Joes ect....I only go in for specific things so don't get the idea I'm a yuppie! My veggies come from Aldi's to offset the more pricer things I need to get.
Creative shopping is the way to go.
Cheers!

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

LOLOL.

Time will tell.

Evidently early examples were lacking in good taste.

Things are supposedly better, now.

Yeah, Bar-B-Q is hard to beat.

Cheers.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

You make excellent points, imho.

I tend to shop similarly.

I'm wary of the test-tube variety, too.

Thanks.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

We are carnivores. Not fake carnivores. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
The Dutch and the Americans claim that within a few years lab-produced meats will start appearing in supermarkets and restaurants. And these are not the only teams working on cultured meat (as they prefer to call it). Another company, Modern Meadow, promises that lab-grown “steak chips” — something between a potato chip and beef jerky — will hit the stores in the near future, too.

I will stick to my original, cruelly slaughtered fillet Mignon thank you. But I must admit, I am VERY interested in trying out the steak chips. If they crumble like a chip with the consistency of the more finely dried meats I have found in the southwest, I would love for Pringles or Frito-Lay to pick it up. Or maybe they can both produce their own variety?

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   
ITS ABOUT BLOODY TIME! Cruelty Free Meat!
edit on 6-5-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

I'd just as soon as Frito-Lay stayed away from such. Their products are already grossly lacking in healthiness according to the reports I've read.

. . . I agree--forthelove--just because they can--doesn't mean they should. And, imho, there's no inherent reason they should not, either.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Yeah. I am for that. There's enough cruelty in the world.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Hmmmmmmm . . .

Probably toooo true.

Sobering.

Thanks.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Terrible idea. Our bodies do not respond well to anything synthesized. Hence, the reactions and side-effects of every single pharmaceutical drug. The FDA will not approve anything that isn't toxic to us. So, no... I'll hunt for my meat if it comes down to it. If we don't properly manage livestock and wild game, the two will be competing with us for food. The world's population is too dense to just let them go free and be merry. Look at the rampant wild hog dilemma and the damage they are causing farmers each year.. It's in the billions.
I do believe some folks will probably like, and regularly consume this junk. Much like getting the newest iPhone, some will HAVE to be first in line.. You'll see...
edit on 6-5-2016 by EternalShadow because: correction

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Sorry, NOTHING done in a lab is HEALTHIER! You can't beat Mother Nature! I trust my local farmer over some corporate scientist any day!

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I don't agree with lab grown I believe in global trade instead

We face strange days this is were we heading to

88designbox.com...

Global read graduate here so I love these kind of topics

edit on 6-5-2016 by Blacker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join