It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A couple issues that need mentioning.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
My first issue is with the "quote" feature.

It does not occur every time the function is used, but sometimes I notice that when you click on the icon to quote another member, it will include an extra (less-than symbol) just before the end quote script. That causes the text outside of that quote to not appear in the post. The (less-than symbol) must be removed for the entire post to appear as intended.

My second issue is post edits.

I've noticed for some time now that some of our fellow members like to edit their posts multiple times, even after other members have repeatedly responded to that post. I am not beyond making mistakes and must make edits on my posts, but I've noticed it being abused to the point that it makes it difficult to accurately respond to some members without having to edit multiples times as well.

I don't know the answer to this issue. Perhaps it should be mandatory to fill-out the explanation field when editing, or perhaps a limit on the number of times one can edit a post. That is not my call to make, but I wanted to bring it to your attention to discuss possible solutions, if one can be found.

Thanks.
edit on 5-5-2016 by introvert because: edited because the greater-than sign removed my text

edit on 5-5-2016 by introvert because: used wrong word to describe the sysmbol

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Well don't edit your post!

Sometimes the lost required editting in order to guide the conversation.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Well don't edit your post!

Sometimes the lost required editting in order to guide the conversation.

I had to remove the symbol in question, as it removed the text afterwards.

Also, I am not opposed to editing, if you read the OP. I'm talking about abuse of it.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

It's necessary often when someone focuses on some minor detail instead of the main idea of the thread to stop it from derailing.

I have to do it all the time.

Or if the first 20 posts are only about the thread title and no one even read the OP.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I appreciate the length of time allowed to edit.

I TEND to write on the fly in the ATS box when it would even be wiser to do it in Word to avoid risk losing it, etc.

I try and proof it as I go along but often miss things. Sometimes I miss several things that I catch only on a 2nd or 3rd reading. I could adjust but as it is IS a great help to me.

I rarely edit after 3-5 minutes after posting. Sometimes I do if I wasn't able or just didn't manage to read the whole thing after posting it. When that happens, I'm quite happy to still have some time left.

And, sometimes folks tell me that my OP link isn't working--usually because I had the wrong thing in my buffer when I thought I was copy/pasting the link.

Still having some time left prevents me from having to bother a mod.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I understand that. The editing is a minor issue that I'd like to discuss. Should there be a limit? A shorter time frame? I've seen it being abused quite a bit.

My main issue is the quote script.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

edit on 5-5-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I can agree Bo. I'm just mentioning it because I've noticed some members abusing it to change the context of their posts...after they realize other members have proven them wrong, etc.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I write in the short stories and I always have to edit my spelling. I see your point. Someone will say one thing and get a reply then edit their op to make the other person look bad!

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I edit frequently because I often need to correct spelling or grammar.
Sometimes I also change or word or so to make it read better.
No matter how often I review before hitting reply, I often find something that needs fixing.
I guess I'm kind of a perfectionist
I can't let the littlest thing go if it is not correct.

But I always edit within a couple of minutes, and never drastically change the text.
If I do need to add something, I use an "ETA: " to specify that it was added.

I greatly appreciate the edit function.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Yes they will. But it is not a widespread problem.

My main point of contention is the quoting issue.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: breakingbs

Come on now your a good person!!!

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I usually edit posts because of typos, but then sometimes I have to edit them because some numbskull is playing stupid and twisting my words into something that I didn't mean.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
To be honest I think lot of people assume malice regarding post edits when most of the time is just humans being human.

I had a thread blow up on me severely once because I worded something poorly and missed out a word in a sentence and people spent far too much time going 'but you said it here!' as if we're some kind of perfect typing robots.

You can always quote the original post if you like when responding. People rarely care though. When I see two posts that don't add up and there is an edit tag at the bottom I just go oh ... they corrected it and move on. Rarely results in any major impact on my reading experience even if it is annoy for the person replying sometimes.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

My second issue is post edits.

I've noticed for some time now that some of our fellow members like to edit their posts multiple times, even after other members have repeatedly responded to that post. I am not beyond making mistakes and must make edits on my posts, but I've noticed it being abused to the point that it makes it difficult to accurately respond to some members without having to edit multiples times as well.

I don't know the answer to this issue. Perhaps it should be mandatory to fill-out the explanation field when editing, or perhaps a limit on the number of times one can edit a post. That is not my call to make, but I wanted to bring it to your attention to discuss possible solutions, if one can be found.

Thanks.

Why would you worry about that? You are allowed to edit, it's either that or reproduce a whole post with whatever differences there may be.
But, you do need to remember there is a maximum time factor that is given, it might say four hours allowed, that does not mean you have four hours allowed, in my area, (UK) I have at best one hour.
The vagaries of that are best known to the owner/s but I'm entitled to think that some IP's in general are being trafficked by the SS given the very small margin compared to the stated maximum amount to edit in at least my part of Europe even allowing time zones.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Ok. Apparently we are stuck on the edit issue. I regret mentioning it.

The quote script is what I am mainly concerned about.

I've seen quite a few members unable to figure it out and it has been an issue.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join