It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Promising The Great Wall of America.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
a reply to: Butterfinger

So what's he propose, if not a wall like that? A nice cedar privacy fence? How many Mexicans does he intend to hire to build that? Then he can hire more Mexicans to landscape it real nice like. So it's not a total eyesore.

P.S. I'm not being racist. I live in Texas and those are seriously jobs dominated by Mexicans.

How about massive reconstruction of America, putting Americans back to work on a number of infrastructure programs including the wall?
Do you think only non Americans can build?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
How about massive reconstruction of America, putting Americans back to work on a number of infrastructure programs including the wall?

Trump wants to do this, the problem is who manages it? We tried the EXACT same thing under Obama and spent $700 billion on it, which later had cost overruns and went to $850 billion. As a concession to the Republicans Obama let the states manage the money for their rebuilding projects and they used it to shore up budget deficits, only 1% went towards actual reconstruction. What sort of safeguards do we implement to prevent the same thing from happening? There is considerable resistance in the US to letting Congress micromanage state budgets like this but the states have already proven themselves to be untrustworthy.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: UKTruth

Trump wants to do this, the problem is who manages it? We tried the EXACT same thing under Obama and spent $700 billion on it, which later had cost overruns and went to $850 billion. As a concession to the Republicans Obama let the states manage the money for their rebuilding projects and they used it to shore up budget deficits, only 1% went towards actual reconstruction. What sort of safeguards do we implement to prevent the same thing from happening? There is considerable resistance in the US to letting Congress micromanage state budgets like this but the states have already proven themselves to be untrustworthy.

Like Trump has often said, politicians only know how to talk. They are incompetent when it comes to getting results. America has done it before, it can do it again. All it takes is the right organisations and leadership.

On the wall, it's very interesting to note Mexico back tracking today - even Vincente Fox has apologized to Trump for his previous language regarding the wall.

Before trump wins nomination...

Now...

Who do you think is more worried now, Trump or Mexico?
edit on 4/5/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Satire:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
A wall isn't going to do anything besides make it so you'll have to use just a little more effort to get over here. I say every legal citizen should be implanted with a device that blocks out a distinct signal, that signal will continuously be transmitted all over the US, if you aren't imbedded with this device to block the signal, you will continuously lose all bowel control.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The wall is very possible

www.youtube.com...

edit on 5-5-2016 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I totally agree. They need to work on building the middle class back up. When the health insurance requirements went into effect a lot of employers cut their employees to just BELOW the full time point so they could get out of paying for insurance. Now we have millions of people working multiple part time jobs just to make ends meet.

And wages haven't kept up with cost of living increases, which means the numbers of 'working poor' have exploded as well. Families who are working full time plus and still rely on food stamps and Medicaid to get by.

And as a former police officer in Texas I can tell you for a fact that Mexicans come over here and commit crimes, instead of actually punishing them we just ship them on back. Where they get a new identity and come back and do the same thing over again. Which is BS too. Mexico is basically a free for all and I think their regulations to get issue a Consulate ID are near non-existent. However, majority of Mexican immigrants are working their asses off just to get by and cramming 10 to a one bedroom apartment and trying to provide for their women and children.

Changes definitely need to be made. But on the populated areas of the border there are already fences and walls and physical barriers in place. The more rural stretches are easier to breach, but they're already patrolled by Border Patrol and armed citizens.

I just don't see how a massive, expensive, depressing eyesore of a wall is going to do jack squat to fix any of the actual issues.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

We dont need a wall to repel siege engines for petes sake, its just to stop people from jumping it as they are now.

What do you have against the idea of anyone coming to America going through the citizenship process? That is all that is needed besides an actual boarder fence.

We cant sustain anyone and everyone just flowing through and sucking freebies up, when they are citizens they can be accountable and pipe that money back into the system for the betterment of the economy.
edit on 552016 by Butterfinger because: spelling

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I wish more people would distinguish between opposing immigration and opposing illegal immigration.

There is a difference between not inviting someone in to your home and someone breaking in.

Maybe the system we have now needs to change. If so - change it. But until then, this is what we have and that is how it is. Get in line and go through the process. Become part of America and be proud of it.

I think its funny that the pictures of demonstrators hating on Trump are waving flags from all over the world, except the American flag.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
the problem I have with the wall is that it is the least effective way to deal with the problem and the most expensive and there is already a fence and a border patrol

Many parts of the border are dotted with rugged terrains and streams, which would be nearly impossible to build on. In other areas, there are protected wildlife refuges and Indian territory. And elsewhere, ranchers would have to agree to sell their land to the federal government — which is unlikely to happen, even as disgruntled as they may be that migrants are using their property as a border crossing area. "It's private land," Cornelius said. "Trump can't just go in and build his wall."

I would rather put the money into infrastructure and education myself

in fact, 40% of illegals come by air or just overstay their visa's

O’Reilly: "You don’t want a border wall. You don’t want that. Why not?" Ramos: "It’s a completely absurd idea. Why would you want to build a 1,900-mile wall between Mexico and the United States if almost 40 percent of all immigrants come by plane and they overstay their visas?" Ramos is far from the first person to deploy the statistic that 40 percent of unauthorized immigrants come into the country under a legal visa and then stay beyond its expiration date. Two Republican presidential candidates, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, have said the same thing. When we checked Rubio’s claim, we rated it Mostly True.

so if a wall is an absurd idea that will be tremendously expensive, what can you do ?

I would try to get rid of the anchor baby incentive, punish companies that hire illegals more, and make it more difficult to send money back to mexico

the only way to stem the tide is to take away the motivation.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Lets face some facts. America is in a bit of trouble in many ways and we need to fix things.

But the wall Trump speaks of is more than just a long line of bricks and mortar. It represents something...something important. In my opinion, all Americans regardless of political views, opinions or positions are missing something important. We have become huge. 300 million huge. No government, no group can address the individual concerns and needs of that many citizens. We have the left and the right, the tolerant and the intolerant, the religious and the non-religious. We can't all be represented fairly and equally. This is the core of all the arguments about gay, religion, black and white and everything else. We are not represented...we don't have our voices heard nor our needs served.

The wall Trump speaks of takes things back to a manageable idea. In my opinion, when you view any of these concerns as a personal, limited to your home and family concern...it becomes manageable and the answer presents itself. Specifically...if you have people who enter your home and take your possessions...you build a wall...a fence or install an alarm. It is really that simple. No one will call you racist for putting up that fence. No one will deny you the right to protect what you have worked hard to create or collect. No one will deny YOUR family the things others wish to take.

I like Trump...but I don't pretend he thinks that deeply. But he thinks in that manner. What do YOU want in YOUR home? What do the people want for themselves in their own, little, tiny world. Then expand that thought. It doesn't hurt one single, legal American citizen to keep people out of our home and allow us to keep our hard-worked-for things that make America great. These are things worth protecting. These are things we have died for to have available for our children...and our children's children. These are important things.

You don't have to agree with me...some won't simply because they don't want to. But when you take anything to the level of family...it becomes manageable. So lets try a few:

You are Catholic but your Daughter tells you she is gay. You may be concerned for a number of reasons, but you continue to support and love her and continue to wish for her happiness in life.

You share the bathroom with men, boys, women and girls and don't build another.

You have bad neighbors who are drug addicts and fight all the time. You ignore them until their noise becomes so annoying that you must intervene. But you don't kill them.

You have a homeless guy in the neighborhood. He basically hides but you see him once in a while. You give him some food or a blanket. But if you give him a dollar and he spends it on booze...you never give him another trinket.

Life is much simpler when you simplify. I think Trump at least has the country's interest at heart. I will be voting for him. At least in his words...he understands what America needs. I hope his actions follow suit.
edit on 5/5/2016 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
What do you have against the idea of anyone coming to America going through the citizenship process? That is all that is needed besides an actual boarder fence.

Where did I ever say that??? Of course that's the proper way to do it. I think the process should be refined and more accommodating for 'citizens of value'...aka people who will work, people who have or intend to get an education, people who really need help, etc. It should also be a gigantic slamming door on the asses of criminals a n'er do wells. The way things are it's way too hard for decent people to get in, and way too easy for crappy people to come in and drain our resources.

A physical wall is not what's needed to remedy this.

* I currently have an immigrant friend here from Beirut. He's scrambling to get his Visas and stuff in order to stay. I honestly think he should be granted asylum because he would be persecuted, by the government, for being a Christian. But that process is near impossible. He works, he's a good guy, he's totally 'Westernized'. I think he would be an asset and should stay. Paco, the Mexican rapist who's been deported 3 times already? (true story)....not so much.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I agree with you on everything you said, except for the wall.

I think the "Paco" you mentioned, and his ilk are getting through holes in the fence.

With a better wall it would deter, and stop all movement across(those tunnels tho...) the border. Look how many people pay huge ammount to be smuggled across the desert, alot dont make it. Not to mention protecting the people who live in the desert on the US side.

All I think we need is this across the whole border, why would anyone have a problem with this? Not that Israel wall nonsense.

Living on the border next to the fence

US ranchers in danger

Cant pay for a "guide" across? You can get here for free by being a Drug mule

edit on 562016 by Butterfinger because: spelling

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Idk why you folks are freaking out over the Great Wall of America,it's a >>BORDER

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
for some weird reason the rest of my post isn't showing up

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The only reason I'm hoping for a Trump dictatorship is to see how he and Mexico are going to build the wall.

Obviously, Mexico is so in bed with the cartels, there is no doubt there will be a tunnel system put in place for drugs and maybe people. Then you are going to have a slew of wanna be immigrants practicing how to climb, fashion grappling gear and finding the spots where not to be spotted.

You also have the wall not even being remotely finished at all due to multiple disagreements between Trump, Mexico and whatever contractors they go with.

I give it at least 3 years before what the children of the future will refer to as Trump's Folly.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

You think my friend from Beirut swam across the Atlantic? He flew over like a normal person. You can also drive through border checks without much problem. Not every Mexican is swimming across the Rio Grande, in fact, most of them aren't. They drive across like a tourist and then don't leave.

A physical wall would do next to nothing when it comes to illegal immigration. And it would cost us a butt load of money that could better be spent elsewhere. And it would be a really depressing sight.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

Like I just posted, it's pretty easy just to drive through a border check. I've been to/through the Mexican border. They aren't turning anyone away- Mexican or American. You might get a couple of questions or a search if you seem shady.

Then there's the airlines, same thing. You buy a ticket, you fly over. Duh.

A wall would do nothing.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join