It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transhumanism,cybernetic designer bodies and racism

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What will happen when Trans-humanism is implemented as far as racism is concerned?

How will cybernetics change how we look at race and ethnicity? Will it end or become stranger and more complex? Will we have "huskism" or bio-suit discrimination or maybe genomics discrimination? How do you prevent a transhumanist caste system from arrising? What do you think?
That might be the end of racism or maybe it may cause new problems that we never had before. Human eye enhancements that can invade other people's privacy. SAT exams and people cheating with neural-machine implants or neural-machine interfaces(hive mind).

How do we prevent cyborg husk discrimination? How do we prevent genetically modified humans from discrimination? They will be discriminated against. Will this end racism once and for all?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

I imagine the only racism that would arise from this would be racism towards the people who are taking steps towards cybernetics. I'm guessing these will be religious conservatives and certain hippies who will be the most hostile, like the Luddites of the Industrial Revolution.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Why do you see the implementation of Trans-humanism inevitable?

I think it is just as likely we will go back to our roots as an agrarian based economy enhanced by technology and not driven by it. I don't see the bleak inevitability of a future dominated by technology. I think a great number of people would be content to go back to a simpler time.

As for racism we are already in a post racial society. There are still bigots of all races and creeds, but nothing in Western society prevents any race from being successful at this point.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I think it just as likely that anyone who chooses not to enhance would be discriminated against by those who do.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Humanity in it's very core despite being capable of goodness is also a savage brutal race of creatures. If people can't get along due to racial, religious, national and/or class differences what makes you think we will get along with Cyborgs?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

And why should they? Soulless machine's don't deserve respect.

They are simply property or worse dangerous.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Why would we want to prevent genetically modified humans from discrimination. They won't be real humans. They will have advantages that natural humans don't. I don't see why would accept cyborgs as humans.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think you are under estimating how dominant and intrinsic technology has become in developed nations.

The younger generations have no concept of a world without smartphones or the Internet. Young children today will make jokes about driving like people in their 30s make jokes about floppy disks and vhs.

Not having implants and enhancements will be just as inconvenient and impractical as not having a cell phone or Internet is now.
edit on 30-4-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I think it just as likely that anyone who chooses not to enhance would be discriminated against by those who do.

Honestly, I think that is the most likely scenario. But also, sign me up for enhancement!

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I joked with a friend back in 2001 that I couldn't wait for my bio-enhanced super-knees.

He looked at me like I was an idiot and said 'I am holding out until I can upload myself to the matrix and become a god."

At the time I thought "touche" but now...still I like his answer.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Race doesn't exist unless you believe it does. We are all just people. I'm probably way whiter than any other white person here (seriously, anyone want to make a bet? lol I bet you the farm I win
) and I'm half Mexican. Skin color means jack besides how close your ancestors were born to the equator. Woo woo big woop. Race is a cultural construct. There is no biological evidence of race. We all are of the same blood. So who cares? I have a super-strong non-organic fibre in my ankle that replaced a torn ligament. I'm 'modified' technically. What if I got corrective surgery on my eyes so I didn't need glasses anymore, too? Would I be even more 'discriminated' against for having underwent surgery? Give me a break. The reason why there is a problem is because people like you make problems. Race doesn't exist. End 'racism' once and for all by giving a damn about other people besides yourself/who you deem 'worthy'. The color of a man's skin doesn't determine his character--his actions do. The end. People need to stop playing into constructs that pit us against one another for meaningless reasons.

I'm discriminated against for not being easily led or persuaded. You know what? I use it to my advantage. That's the answer. Are you racist? You probably are. The only people I ever see crying about race are people who have white guilt. Probably from the baby boomer generation who participated in white flight. While I understand the reasons behind white flight--like fear of violence/the unknown--I don't condone transferring that guilt onto others and thus perpetuating the issue.
I, on the other hand, I've never been racist. I see people as people: they're all different. Some I like, some I don't. But I don't hate on people because of how they look. That's just shallow and cruel.

OH but regarding the nuts who want to make themselves look like monsters and animals--yeah, you get some permanent radical modifications and I'm sorry but don't expect to find a job/not be gawked at. It's not discrimination: it's the result of your idiotic impulsive life choices. It's called wow, that's your big goal in life? How sad. Go get some help. You need it. Be yourself. But with regards to improving our bodies with like...eagle vision and the like? pfft! as if people would be discriminated against. At least not any more-so than people who choose not to wear makeup lol

As long as people don't go too hard in the paint, there's no issue. And I highly doubt that advanced surgery will be very different from how we look now. My ankle feels as good as new--nothing is different besides it probably being stronger and more durable than my other ankle. Nobody will be able to tell the difference once my scar finally fades.
edit on 30-4-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The upcoming game: Deus Ex Mankind Divided covers this very topic...

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

Race doesn't exist unless you believe it does. We are all just people. I'm probably way whiter than any other white person here (seriously, anyone want to make a bet? lol I bet you the farm I win
) and I'm half Mexican. Skin color means jack besides how close your ancestors were born to the equator. Woo woo big woop. Race is a cultural construct. There is no biological evidence of race. We all are of the same blood. So who cares? I have a super-strong non-organic fibre in my ankle that replaced a torn ligament. I'm 'modified' technically. What if I got corrective surgery on my eyes so I didn't need glasses anymore, too? Would I be even more 'discriminated' against for having underwent surgery? Give me a break. The reason why there is a problem is because people like you make problems. Race doesn't exist. End 'racism' once and for all by giving a damn about other people besides yourself/who you deem 'worthy'. The color of a man's skin doesn't determine his character--his actions do. The end. People need to stop playing into constructs that pit us against one another for meaningless reasons.

I'm discriminated against for not being easily led or persuaded. You know what? I use it to my advantage. That's the answer. Are you racist? You probably are. The only people I ever see crying about race are people who have white guilt. Probably from the baby boomer generation who participated in white flight. While I understand the reasons behind white flight--like fear of violence/the unknown--I don't condone transferring that guilt onto others and thus perpetuating the issue.
I, on the other hand, I've never been racist. I see people as people: they're all different. Some I like, some I don't. But I don't hate on people because of how they look. That's just shallow and cruel.

OH but regarding the nuts who want to make themselves look like monsters and animals--yeah, you get some permanent radical modifications and I'm sorry but don't expect to find a job/not be gawked at. It's not discrimination: it's the result of your idiotic impulsive life choices. It's called wow, that's your big goal in life? How sad. Go get some help. You need it. Be yourself. But with regards to improving our bodies with like...eagle vision and the like? pfft! as if people would be discriminated against. At least not any more-so than people who choose not to wear makeup lol

As long as people don't go too hard in the paint, there's no issue. And I highly doubt that advanced surgery will be very different from how we look now. My ankle feels as good as new--nothing is different besides it probably being stronger and more durable than my other ankle. Nobody will be able to tell the difference once my scar finally fades.

What if someone wants to be a half-human-animal chimera or an elf or hobbit? Imagine the circus that would bring.

What if you lose your job to a cyborg or GM metahuman?

Would GM athletes make sports a joke?

The courts would have an almost perfect judicial conviction rate. Just plug them in and scan their memory patterns and pronounce guilt.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: coastlinekid

I cannot wait for that game. The first one was awesome!

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You know what !?? I think someone needs to check thier "Cyborg Privilege" !!

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

What I think will happen is that we will see history repeat itself, as we did a long time ago with several groups:

At first, both groups will not want to associate with each other ("Ohhh, don't go near them; all humans are equal, but those people are beneath us"). Then, we will go from not associating with them to on a limited basis (think along the lines that individuals with certain enhancements will not be allowed to work in some areas, or will only be allowed to be eat at certain places; tests will be created/implemented to determine if you are "normal"). Finally, at some point it will becomes similar to how groups are treated today: A surge in "fairness" laws, and a backlash with laws designed to keep "enhanced" people from going about their daily business.

Where I think it will differ is: Eventually, the tables will be turned, because there might be an enhancement out there that benefits the "enhanced" people and forces all the "normal" people to either comply or cope. For example, maybe a special neuro-implant is created so that "enhanced" people can compile code without a computer, at the brain's operating speed. Those that can't afford the implant (or refuse to) are now society's burger flippers.

I read way too many Dystopian novels.

-fossilera

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

"What will happen when Trans-humanism is implemented as far as racism is concerned"

Well, start thinking about the path of destruction that followed with the invention of guns and how each was modified to be more powerful from the other and used in war. There are earlier starting points but you can start with the first known successful self loading rifle in 1908, then 10 years later the invention of the submachine gun invented by the German Military used in WW I, followed by the assault rifle which was also invented by the Germans used in WW II. Now ask yourself what kind of path technology based transhumanism will take with warring still taking place. Artificial transhumanism's goal is to become the weapon to destroy the human race. This is human kind being tempted to embrace their own destruction which will lead to the second fall of man.

"How will cybernetics change how we look at race and ethnicity?"

Hatred has to be transformed into compassion first. That is the change that needs to come before the change in your question or nothing changes

"Will it end or become stranger and more complex?"

Hatred is not complex and can be over come with genuine compassion and love. This is universally understood. Weaponry and technology is complex and will never be universally understood.

"Will we have "huskism" or bio-suit discrimination or maybe genomics discrimination?"

We already have a form of it with cosmetic dentistry, breast enhancements/agumentation, organ transplants, artificial insemination/test tube babies and laser vision eye corrective surgery to name a few. The discrimination lays on both sides. Those monetarily poor left with missing teeth, struggling with glasses, unable to have children, failing organs and overly large breasts that give them severe back problems can harbor resentment when they are aware of others struggling with the same problems who can have their condition fixed simply with money. This is not universally caring for others and holding compassion for others that are experiencing the same problems as they are. People who have nice teeth whether it's their own or purchased, look down on and make fun of people with missing, chipped, irregular and/or yellow stained teeth. With that in mind, to answer your question, discrimination will become worse on both sides because those things you mention go way beyond anyone having a nice set of teeth.

"How do you prevent a transhumanist caste system from arrising?"

How do you prevent poverty? Since that has not been universally prevented up to this point and it could have been, those that are comfortable now and lack for nothing but mere wigettery, will definately feel the discomforts of the poor themselves struggling to live in an expensive modern world. They won't be able to keep up. Caste Systems will form in western societies and leave those who can't keep up with artificial transhumanism, behind. The middle class has a lot to learn about the hardship the poor face in modern times because they will eventually feel it too.

"How do we prevent cyborg husk discrimination?"

Ban them now.

"How do we prevent genetically modified humans from discrimination?"

Stop modifying them and tap into natural and spiritual healing and energy work, all a free gift from God.

"Will this end racism once and for all?"

It will end the human race once and for all.
edit on 30-4-2016 by WhiteWingedMonolith because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Could we put cyborgs on Mars and Venus that can survive the harsh environments and help us terrestrialize those worlds?

We can't live on Venus but a human in a special cyborg bio-suit(think Mobile suit Gundam) can live in that extreme heat,pressure and acidity.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   

How do we prevent cyborg husk discrimination? How do we prevent genetically modified humans from discrimination? They will be discriminated against. Will this end racism once and for all?

As Ketsuko said earlier,it's way more likely those who choose and/or are forced not to get enhancements will be discriminated against. I see it all the time in the tech world,people who don't upgrade their hardware or software get left behind and mocked. Same thing happens with any other technology we've created. It all turns into an elitist like club,The solution to that would be to make enhancements or any other tech more accessible to the public and commercial sectors. Not free,just greater opportunities for as many people as possible.

Although I believe it will make race obsolete or at least should as neurological enhancements to boost intelligence,or Implants to increase one's athletic ability all would change the fundamental nature of how we view humanity and it's biological potential. The notion of racial differences on the basis of scientific racism or any similar philosophy are inherently flawed as any biological difference that currently exist would be invalid as greater equity to human enhancements for people would decrease the amount of people who hold "racially advantageous and/or disadvantageous traits".

At that point in time,there would be no rationale to hold racist views.
To do so would be willful ignorance.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   

i will be openly raceist do anybody that is not human no matter what the color of their skin, i dont trust cybernetics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join