It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Glock 26 Gen 4

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Let me preface by saying that this is not a pistol review. I don't really do reviews. The Glock 26 has been reviewed extensively in magazines, online articles, and YouTube/Full30.com videos for several years now. What this is, like most of my firearms related threads, is an overview of options and my recommendations. Take it or leave it.

Summer is approaching. With less clothes on I needed something to accommodate my daily carry. Normally I carry a modified Glock 19. While this 9mm chambered weapon is considered a compact handgun, I find it to be pretty large. During the summer months it is impossible to properly conceal and since I do not open carry(but on few occasions), I decided I needed something even smaller than the Glock 19 Gen 4 to accommodate my self defense needs for the summer season in Northern Nevada.

My Glock 19

Compare with my Glock 26

I picked up a Glock 26 Gen 4 chambered in 9mm. This weapon is considerably smaller than the Glock 19. With a capacity of 10+1, it was a perfect choice. Same caliber, same manufacturer, and I am able to use all Glock 9mm magazines.

The G26 was an obvious choice for me. It is proven reliable since the introduction of the G26 in 1994, the Glock pistol(any model and caliber), enjoys the largest aftermarket support system of any weapon system in history. No other weapon enjoys the abundance of spare parts, cheap magazines, accessories, optics, services, and modifications that the Glock pistol enjoys.

I don't have large hands, and even with the shortened grip I can almost achieve a full 3 finger purchase on the weapon. I was getting very good accuracy using stock sights. I was amazed at how well it did with a 3.42in(8.68cm) barrel. It is the same width as the model 17 and 19, and has all the same Gen 4 features.

If you're looking for a summer carry weapon I highly recommend a Gen 4 Glock 26.

Happy Shooting.
edit on 25 6 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the (non)review. I have a 19 myself. My immediate concern here is what you mentioned: the grip. I've handled the ultra compacts, and not being able to get my own third finger on the grip is kind of scary to me. would putting a longer magazine in there help out that issue, or would it defeat the purpose of carrying a smaller Glock?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

That is a beautiful weapon!

I have been thinking about getting one for a few years, but I bought a real Japanese Samurai sword instead (like 7k). I love quality weapons.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I didnt know they came with threaded barrels,

father has a 23 (compact .40)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Interesting!
Just prompted a quick question in my mind.............why not the Glock 24 chambered for the .40 cal as opposed to the 9mm? I know its bigger, so I guess that's the issue. But I conceal carry a revolver in a Wilderness Tactical Products "Safepacker": see: www.thewilderness.com...

I'm not debating revolver vs. semi-auto; I see that as just a matter of personal preference. But.....I don't understand the choice of the 9mm over the .40 cal. Can you explain that? I'm just curious.
Thanks

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The .40 has a much harsher recoil than the 9mm. Indeed many experienced shooters would even say it is more aggressive than the .45ACP (.45 has more of a push while .40 is snappier).

The old calibre debate among the common pistol rounds has been mostly put to bed in shooting circles. The general consensus among those in the know us that with high quality, modern self defence ammunition there is little significant difference in the terminal effectiveness of common calibres between 9mm and .45ACP.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Thanks for the (non)review. I have a 19 myself. My immediate concern here is what you mentioned: the grip. I've handled the ultra compacts, and not being able to get my own third finger on the grip is kind of scary to me. would putting a longer magazine in there help out that issue, or would it defeat the purpose of carrying a smaller Glock?

There are plenty of pinky extensions on the market for Glock 26 pistols. Some even add a couple of extra rounds to the capacity. Pearce pinky extensions at two rounds for a total of 12. Not bad.

That said as long as you have a proper grip on the firearm with those two fingers you probably won't notice the difference. Especially if you're doing your job with your supporting hand.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I don't understand the choice of the 9mm over the .40 cal. Can you explain that? I'm just curious.

I have fired millions of rounds in my lifetime. That is no exaggeration. In that time I have discovered two things about caliber:

1. The caliber is irrelevant if you miss.

2. Shot placement is everything.

I can place multiple rounds on target faster with a 9mm than I can with a 40 or 45. I also have higher capacity with a 9mm than I would with either the 40 and certainly with the .45.

To me it isn't a "bigger is better" sort of thing. I also don't believe in "stopping power" as that is but a myth when it comes to pistol calibers. So I rely on fast, accurate shots over bigger rounds.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

I didnt know they came with threaded barrels,

father has a 23 (compact .40)

The threaded barrel on my Glock 19 was placed aftermarket. All of the modifications you see I made myself with exception of machining the slide to accept the Trijicon RMR.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

That is a beautiful weapon!

I have been thinking about getting one for a few years, but I bought a real Japanese Samurai sword instead (like 7k). I love quality weapons.

Buy once, cry once.

I have a long list of weapons that are cheap, but effective. That said, if your life depends on it, spend the damned money.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Interesting!
Just prompted a quick question in my mind.............why not the Glock 24 chambered for the .40 cal

That would be a Glock 27 as the equivalent sub-compact. I thought size was the main issue here.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

My Glock 19

Is there any particular reason you have the extended/threaded barrel on your carry gun? It seems to add extra length to the weapon with no real advantages I can think of. The pistol obviously came with a standard barrel - why not just use that for carry? With the extra length and extended mag, you may as well be carrying a G17.

I'm not personally a fan of the red dot sights on a carry pistol. Seems to add too much bulk and area to potentially snag during the draw. I'm sure you make it work for you, just not my cup of tea. I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I prefer a small, uncluttered profile (or at least did when I was able to carry!).

Still, a very nice piece.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: PaddyInf

Threaded barrel adds length and a platform for compensators and suppressors.

I am an expert marksman and have been long before I discovered the Trijicon RMR. But I gotta tell ya, the advantage you get with this system is like night and day. The RMR is tiny. The weight added is less than the weight of the material removed to inlay the sight to the slide.

When I took this picture it was in combat mode. Meaning that if the SHTF on that day I would outfit the weapon in this configuration and holster it openly. When I carry concealed I use the standard barrel and AIWB holster. I also use the standard 15 round capacity magazine instead of the 17 round magazine shown.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Carried the 19 for couple years, light but large....switched to the smaller 30-45 ACP...gen 3. Much heavier, yet smaller and more comfortable all day. 10 clip and not the newer gen 4 slim frame.

Love it.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Fair enough. Like I said, I'm a bit of a traditionalist and shoot fine with standard sights, so the red dot doesn't do it for me, but each to their own.

I don't particularly like the G26 personally. I find it uncomfortably to shoot as my hands are quite large and I like to have a decent grip when I draw. I used to carry IWB and found that a bit of extra slide length helped anchor the weapon. It didn't make any difference to how it concealed as the slide was inside the trousers and well hidden due to this. I can see how the short G26 grip would be an advantage for this though.

My carry pistol (back in the day) was a Walther P5C off duty. I didn't have a choice in this as it was issued. When on duty it would either be a Browning HP or a SIG P226 depending on who I was working for. These would either be concealed or open depending on the task. Lots of the guys who (for silly legal reasons) did have a choice carried Glocks as PPWs, and almost universally went for 19s. There were some 17s though, and one of my mates did carry a G26.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
G27 Gen 4 here, was considering the 26 but when I picked both up at the shop and side by side didnt notice much difference in overall size, weight. Would buy 10 more Glocks though, they simple work and eat anything you put in there, reliably to boot. But now we are into shorts and flip flop weather I usually have to resort to my Kimber micro as it carries stealth.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Glock makes some good pistols that seem to hold up well to constant use and abuse, but it is not what I would choose for a daily carry.

Nice piece though.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

What would be your preference?

Are you more of an old school metal frame gun type, or revolver?

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

My preference is a 22. Walther currently manufactures my carry of choice as it easily fits in my pocket and cycles like a dream. You have to make sure you use quality ammo though. I cringe a little when I see people with obvious bulges on their hip and that is another reason I like to pocket carry. No one would ever know what I have in my pocket.

Generally, I'm a revolver fan, but this firearm is excellent.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I covered a Walther P22 here a while ago. Love that little gun. Easy to shoot, accurate, and reliable once you break it in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join