It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Husband Denied Prescription Refill...Because of Prince

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
This actually happened last night, and I'm still feeling stunned.

My husband's family doctor also works an after hours walk-in clinic with another doctor (all at same location). Now hubby's doctor is booked up at least 3 months with appointments and refuses to fax prescription refills like the others do (because then he can charge for office visits).
Many of his patients, my husband included....have to go to the clinic and wait 3-4 hours to see their own doctor for refills. Tonight was such a night.

Now this doctor appears to me to be bipolar, something that the pharmacist (and assistant) both agreed with actually. They are located right next door in the same building. His mood is very up and down, and he will very dramatically just throw up his arms and walk out on you...like tonight.

A few years ago, this doctor put my husband on oxycontin and percocets. After a couple of years I was able to wean him off both, and he stayed that way until reinjuring his back at work.
We told his doctor that he had stopped everything (for more than a year) and his response was, "Nobody ever does that without help." He was impressed.
When hubby got hurt again, the doctor put him initially on Tylenol #3, then raised it to Tylenol #4 and 2 Percocets/day. Hubby has not abused his prescriptions and absolutely has NOT done anything that 'raises a red flag'. (No doctor shopping, asking for early release, etc.)

Tonight, after sitting on hard chairs for 3 hours we got taken to the exam room. The doctor came in looking all stressed and agitated. Hubby held out his prescription receipts for the doctor to write the next refills, when he suddenly bolted to his feet, threw his arms up and claimed, "No more narcotics...because of Prince! He had bad hips ya know? No more for anybody! I'm not giving any more narcotics! People are dying!"

Hubby mouth hanging open looked at me, so I said, "You're not going to fill his prescriptions anymore? The ones he's on now...?"
The doctor, who normally thinks I'm a "lovely woman"...snapped at my husband, "What's her problem? Go get methadone! Go get another doctor! No more from me!" And then he was gone.

I couldn't believe what I'd just witnessed. I felt like I was sucked into a wormhole of crazy. I immediately went next door to talk to the pharmacist. Asked if the doctor could DO that legally? He said, "Yes."
We chatted for a bit, and his assistant came forward saying that he was so unpredictable. She said he was sometimes really dramatic...tell them not to fill a prescription, then later wave his arm at them saying, "Oh fill it."

I feel like he's power-tripping big time. Almost wonder sometimes if he's taking drugs himself. One appointment, he spent the entire time talking about his own depression, and his land in Hawaii...and his bad marriage. He said that if he left now, his wife and kids (who work in his office weekends) would get "the mansion" and he would be stuck living in "his trailer". Then he almost rushed out without asking why my husband was even there.

I wish I'd had more time to prepare. I would have asked if he'd change his mind if he found out that Prince died of AIDS. (I'm sorry, RIP Prince)
The pharmacist was shaking his head saying, "But that's another person...that's not you...of course they say that...they said that about Michael Jackson and Elvis too, but who really knows?" (ooh, a rational human!!)

So now I'm furious, oh so furious! I will be chatting up local lawyers that I know to find out how to go about reporting him.
He is also the family doctor for my mother-in-law (89, Portuguese with aggressive dementia/Alzheimer's) who is on multiple prescriptions...including 3 Tylenol #3's a day. Is he cutting her off too?

I'm just baffled as to how a physician can decide to no longer prescribe pain medication that is legal in this country. (I'm in Canada.) Apparently he has the power to cut you off, fire you as a patient....and decide what he doesn't want to give you. Because a celebrity died.

I know he's really (in the end) ONLY covering his own ass...of course he is. People are dying around here from overdoses, I know...I've been to some of the funerals. Those people all overdosed from medications that they purchased illegally and not from their own prescriptions.
If this doctor cuts every single patient of his off their painkillers, I am concerned that more people will search for them "on the streets"...take something they're not familiar with...and I will be attending more funerals.

jacy

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
From your description of the Doctors behavior it sounds like to me that HE is on something himself. Either that or he is a severe Bi-polar example.

Not familiar with how your medical system works but if it were me I'd find another Doc. Someone less prone to severe mood swings, and not so easily swayed by pop culture.

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Thank you SLAYER, I appreciate the confirmation.

Around here there are no doctors taking on new patients, and NONE of them will take you if you are on painkillers.
My own doctor is over an hour away, but she faxes refills to the pharmacy here instead of insisting that I visit her office for that alone.

jacy

edit on 29-4-2016 by jacygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Your doctor sounds mentally unstable and I would suggest you immediately change him.

You don't have to put up with a dodgy doctor who sounds like he's either on the verge of a nervous breakdown or on some form of drug himself which he isn't handling well. Don' risk your health if you are not confident in him.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
That doctor sounds like quite a sensationalist. Oxy's and Percs are some pretty heavy stuff though... I've seen it destroy people. I would suggest trying to find an alternative.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

one would think that reporting said doctors conduct to the correct authorities would be the correct course of action - but no - this is ATS

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
That doctor sounds like quite a sensationalist. Oxy's and Percs are some pretty heavy stuff though... I've seen it destroy people. I would suggest trying to find an alternative.

Yes, and it took my husband a very long slow weaning to get off everything. He pretty much put me in charge of this, and we were successful.
He has a long history of neck/shoulder/back injury due to working in construction for years (he's 53 now).

He works out of town, 12-14 hour shifts (in all weather) and I am the one who is looking after him when he can hardly walk.
He has been doing well on his current scripts, and in no way deserved to be insulted and cut off.

jacy
edit on 29-4-2016 by jacygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

one would think that reporting said doctors conduct to the correct authorities would be the correct course of action - but no - this is ATS

I'm angry and have no one to talk to in real life, so yeah I guess...being a loser here and asking my ATS friends for...confirmation that the doctor really was a dick? (before I look into formally charging him)

I also have never heard of a doctor using a celebrity's death as a reason to cut off a patient without even hearing what he had to say. After a 3 hour wait.

jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
It's not always as simple as finding an alternative medicine. Some conditions can induce horrific levels of pain which I dare say would make you faint or wish you would wake up dead after exhaustion of being unable to sleep for days on end. You can exhaust all the alternatives and quack remedies alike and when youve been suffering for years you've had plenty of time to try. It can be condescending when a doctor or lay person comes by and says try something else, despite being on medication which helps (albeit addictive) and there's the prospect of facing another battle. For some people it's the last stage before morphine and who cares? It at least improves the quality of life regardless of the side affects. When your with someone who might only have a few years to live (or maybe 10 or 20 or more) and they're on the verge of begging for death but a legally prescribed pharmaceutical gives them some mobility and function back surely that's better isn't it? No body wants to take meds unnecessarily, when they arent recreational or taken purely out of habit it makes a big difference.

The difference between the regular person and the celebrity abusers are the latter have the money to force a doctors hand. But using them as an excuse to deny a ordinary patients the care they need is an absurdity. Every case is individual, it's nothing to do with anyone else other than the patient.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Wow, that is crazy. I feel for you Jacy

I am just now needing to look for a new pain management doctor after a decade with my old doc. I am not looking forward to it.
I have been taking extended release morphine for the better part of 30 years. I was hit by a car in the early 80's and spent 2 1/2 years over a 5 year period in our local trauma hospital, ECMC.
I have a fused left hip with many other chronic, progressive pain issues. ea: back, knees and my one good hip.

Over the years pain management has become increasingly difficult, to the point now that I would consider adding a plant to my garden rather than have to jump through all the hoops.
I am unsure if I will be able to find a new doctor in my area with all the recent attention on heroin and prescription abuse. A BIG local pain doctor was just arrested this week on over 100 counts of prescribing unneeded opiates.

I will look for a doc but my hopes are not high for finding one. I really don't know what I am going to do.

I feel your pain and sympathize with your situation.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
This is what happens when the DEA tries to practice medicine.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Thank you, stosh64 and ObsidianEclipse..I really appreciate your comments (and misery loves company)!

I have lower back injuries and chronic pain too. I can't work anymore and am on a tiny disability.
When my hubby is laid off, his unemployment is 40% of his pay...we need him to be able to work...the rent is due.

This doctor has NO idea how some people live.
He once told my husband to go back to school. Umm...who's gonna pay our bills AND his schooling? He's 53 and all he's ever done is construction (pipelayer). We also need his union benefits.
We don't have land in Hawaii, a mansion and a trailer. (sarcastic smirk)

I have been in agony, screaming on the floor waiting for the ambulance. I know pain.
I've been on the hard meds, and got myself off them too.
My migraines make me want to die...every time.

A doctor managing pain, who doesn't grasp pain...and can't relate to his patients' needs to keep on working because somebody has to pay the bills. Who automatically reacts like EVERY patient is now a junkie...because of news about a celebrity that many not even be true....?

My mind is blown.
jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
you usually need an office appointment for narcotics. Or at least it's best practice. Also sounds like your husband is drug seeking

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
you usually need an office appointment for narcotics. Or at least it's best practice. Also sounds like your husband is drug seeking

He was visiting his OWN family physician who ALSO works after hours in his OWN office as a walk-in clinic.
I already explained that.

The doctor is booked up for 3 months, and if you need a refill on your prescription you have to wait at the clinic.

If he would fax them directly to the pharmacy LIKE THE OTHERS DO...this would clear his waiting room for sick people who get turned away...
because...
he likes to charge for an office visit, and that is the only reason.

*sigh*
jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   

An office visit isn't going there for a dr to sign your scrips. It's a full visit, dialog,something documented. Drs don't just sign narc scrips at the door and to expect him to is a gross misunderstanding on your part.if your husband really needs pain mess like that he should be with a pain Doctor not his pcp.

Your hubby handing his scrips to be filled probably set the dr off in the first place because he has no duty just to hand you painkillers like candy. You have to realize what your MD already realized, that everytime you go in there and pick up a narcotic, you are making a permanent record with your Dr and the federal govt. that can be seen for basically ever by anyone with a license.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Omg seriously?

When he called yesterday morning, the nurse told him the doctor was booked for 3 months, and TOLD HIM to come to the clinic later....like she does EVERY time he calls for an appointment.

Like he has done numerous times (prior to the death of Prince).

It is his own doctor. We followed their instructions.

jacy

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
a reply to: SLAYER69

Thank you SLAYER, I appreciate the confirmation.

Around here there are no doctors taking on new patients, and NONE of them will take you if you are on painkillers.
My own doctor is over an hour away, but she faxes refills to the pharmacy here instead of insisting that I visit her office for that alone.

jacy

Technically since Dr Douche Bag wouldn't refill a Rx that was run out, and your husband doesn't have anymore of the medication, then you are not on painkillers and should be able to get a new doc.

I'm sorry your husband is in pain though, I know what it's like to be in pain and have no relief ( tore both my rotator cuffs 7 years ago) I wouldn't wish it on an enemy.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. You are one of the sweetest people here, right up there with NightStar

It really bothers me to see good people in need suffering due to the ignorance of others.

Just know you are not alone.

ETA: And just ignore the responses from people that have no idea what you (we) are going through.

Sincerely,
Steve

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Whether your Husband's Doctor is battling mental illness or hard drug addiction, i would seriously advise you to change your Husband's doctor..immediately.

You never know, there may come a time when he flips out properly, and decides to take a whole load of patients with him..wouldn't be the first time.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Guten Morgen-

Firstly, being a CP (chronic pain pt. back/neck) I empathize w/Your husband and nobody will know the debilitating pain that a back can bring and stick to the "pain body"..

I've been on the same dosage of opiates as when I started 12 years ago. In today's climate, it seems that the pt. has to be their own advocate. As I'm unfamiliar w/the SOP of Canadian rules. Is there a "Pain Management" option? The reason I ask is here in Flori-Duh, once the once thriving "Pill Mills" closed the regulations tightened immensely, and the 'righteous pin sufferer" has indeed suffered for the mis-deeds of "Doctor Shoppers/drug diverters"..

Another positive about Pain Mgt. is the Doctors KNOW that a "Cold Turkey" stoppage could actually have worse results then a tapering off of opiate pain meds.

Any chance that Hubby could supplement w/"Naturals" i.e. a plant that has natural pain relieving properties?

In My case, I went "Ayurveda" Where You eat what is correct for Your 'dosha' and includes Yoga, meditation and even adding Cherry Juice Concentrate to My 12-14 waters I drink per day. Staying hydrated is a big deal. One of the biggest is keeping the 6" between the ears, steady and an interruption makes the pt. go 'backwards'...

Tell Hubby, He has at least 1 guy that "Gets it"..

Best of Luck in getting this 'fixed' before the W/D's 'kick in'.. i.e. getting an empathetic Dr. that knows the difference between "Quality of Life" and "Piss off, I don't want any trouble.."

Personally I'd FIRE this Quack and get onto someone else...

namaste

Edit: Here, the Dr. CANNOT fax any controlled substances Rx. each has to be a single, paper script for each..

edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join