It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Florida holds brainwave controlled drone race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The University of Florida held the first ever race of DJI Phantom quadcopter drones that were controlled by the operators brainwaves. This is the first time that BCI technology has been connected to a drone. Sixteen pilots had to control their drones down a 10 yard, indoor course using their brainwaves, which were measured through EEG headsets. The operators looked at a computer screen that had a block on it. They were told to imagine moving a chair, to move the block, which was connected to the controls of the Phantom drone.

It's not as much fun as the drone races that are soon to be on ESPN and other networks, but it's pretty exciting to see the technology advancing like this.

Drone races are nothing new. But while they started as an ad-hoc activity within the drone community, the sport has now taken on a life of its own with highly elaborate events and a partnership with ESPN.

Similarly, brain-computer interface (BCI) technology isn’t totally new. And while the technology is still young, advances are being made in labs across the country, and some paralyzed patients have already been able to use the technology to control prosthetic limbs.

But utilizing this BCI technology to connect your brain to a drone? That is definitely new.

techcrunch.com...

And a real drone race, just because it's fun as hell to watch.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Absolutely fantastic news.

It is this kind of precision control via brainwaves that will revolutionize prosthetics to the point where we may be able to replace our bodies.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
At least it wasn't the University of South Florida. Although I'm surprised they passed something like that up.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
A world full of robots with PTSD?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I graduated with a BSEE from UF in '04. Every time I go back ( as is probably true with many universities) I see/ hear of classes and tools I wish I had while in engineering there. The field keeps changing so quickly we have to train a couple times a year to keep up with what's new.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I find that humorous only for the reason that I have many layers of ptsd. My robot will need other robots to chill with for sure to soothe the quantum beast. Wolfpack style
edit on 29-4-2016 by stabstab because: edit

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: stabstab
Yah, I realized that was borderline. Glad you saw the humor. I imagined a bunch of robots getting together to howl, drinking oil and smoking circuits…

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Brilliant

It's incredible people are just crazy smart ( the brainwave thing for handicapped people I always thought) I want to invent machine that records dreams
I am a musicals anti talent but once in a blue moon my head makes this incredible melodies and I can't do nothing about it some will make great youtube vids

I hope that most brains catch up with all the smartness

edit on 29-4-2016 by realnewsrealfunny because: (no reason given)

join