It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mandela Effect Can No Longer Be Denied: Berenstein Was The Tip of The Iceberg

page: 63
<< 60  61  62    64  65  66 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LoneCloudHopper2
a reply to: tigertatzen

It sounds corny to say that people fear what they don't understand, but it seems quite true.

And you can measure exactly how terrified certain people are by how they exhibit panic when people stop responding to their obsessive rhetoric. They become positively desperate for somebody, anybody to argue with them so that they'll feel validated in their blind insistence that it cannot be anything but the safe answer.

It's a fear of losing control. They don't realize that they come across so panicked and desperate. That their attempts at appearing sane and rational are in fact having the complete opposite of the desired effect. That everyone is thinking it but no one is saying it. It's magical thinking. Toddlers think at this intellectual level. If they say it isn't real, then it won't be real. People in fear also revert to childish behavior. Fascinating, isn't it?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
What is beyond absurd here is the idea that the simplest explanations for these events are so roundly ignored.

That and the fact that lies and truly hateful accusations keep being repeated over and over again.

No one here, myself included has stated that EVERY so-called "Mandela Event" is simply false memories.

On the contrary, many are simply misperceptions, faulty cognitions, and just good old mistakes.

And what is offered in return by those who insist that "there's something going on" to help with the confusion and consternation these events can create?

Nothing. They don't know what it is, but they sure as heck know what is isn't, don't they? Ask yourself that question ... who here in post after post is spreading confusion? Who is trying to shut others down? Who is lying about what has been said? Who can't go more than a few sentences without calling other posters names?

And when they aren't attacking one poster or another and trying to insult, intimidate or belittle anyone who dares to disagree with vapid, ridiculous, empty and REPETITIVE nonsense, those of us who have also experienced these events, who have admitted that we are also affected and confused by them, but who have rationally and reasonably considered the facts and realized that the problems are not with the universe, but with ourselves.

Obviously, for some people, accepting any sort of fallibility is just too much for fragile egos.

Ask yourself, who is promoting an agenda here that leads to confusion and chaos ...

Any reader can move through this thread and see the strategies being applied. The constant epithets of "troll" and "shill" and "disinfo agent" (all of which are directly against T&C) are hurled against anyone who dares to simply approach this topic from the normal or mundane point of view. This is utterly against the spirit of this forum and this site.

We've seen page after page of a few posters trying to claim this topic as their own property ... there's the constant "we" think this and "we" do that ... and when it's pointed out that this is somewhat cult-like behavior ...

... well, everyone has seen what happens.

Anyone reading this who has not yet jumped on the fantastic explanation train yet ... just know that almost every person living on this planet has experienced these anomalies. They do not mean that our reality is changing, or that Jesus or the Devil or some other supernatural force is attacking us or trying to prepare us for something, this isn't a government "disinfo" program trying to take people's uniqueness away ... these are just normal human frailties and failings.

We actually DO all experience these things. No one here is telling you that you're crazy. But please, for the sake of your own sanity, just equally consider the normal mundane explanations before insisting on the more fantastic ones.

I say this not to control you, or take anything away from you ... I say it as someone who spent years overtaken by every "weird" thing that came along. Rationality, logic, and basic scientific understanding can go a long way toward avoiding a lot of that disjointed, chaotic feeling that the modern world so often leaves us with.

Do your own work. Come to your own conclusions. Just don't let this stuff make you feel alone, or isolated, or worst of all "crazy" ... that you can no longer trust your own eyes or your own mind. We are all in the same boat with this stuff - together.

What we've actually seen page after page of is you using every synonym in the English language to repeat the same bizarre set of phrases ad infinitum.

I'm pretty sure you're nowhere near the same body of water, much less the same boat as anyone else in this discussion. You've only got like three dance moves over there. Pretty soon you'll run through your thesaurus and then where will you be?

Take a breather. A nice walk or something. Your fingers must be as exhausted as we are from all that repetitive nonsense.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: galaga

LOL That's a very funny prank idea!

On the number, indeed the number itself would have been erased. What's interesting to me is the idea of something like this being recorded on video. If it was, hypothetically, there would now be video footage of you dialing and calling it in, but you would be calling a different number. If someone had asked for the number and another replied: "1-800-DEPENDS," I can't help but wonder how that would go today, if the video would reveal the current reality number being said, or the one you remember.

Maybe someone has a video of discussing the "Berenstein Bears" while holding the "Berenstain Bears" books, or some other product which has changed.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Krneki
Yes to all. Dreams can be quite vivid.

Wrong memories can be fairly vivid, sure. This would happen if you have a vivid memory of something, but one or more details are wrong. The easy way to distinguish between true and untrue memories is by how often did the incident repeat. For example, with The Berenstein Bears, I have multiple memories (some vague, some vivid) of reading the books, having them read to me, watching animated TV episodes about them, as well as discussing them with various people (my parents, other adults and kids.) There was a great deal of confusion about the pronunciation, due to the spelling of "-stein." I have no memories, none whatsoever, of the "-stain" spelling, despite the many times I read the books, saw the covers, and discussed them.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: MemoryShock
Wow.

Memory is an imperfect vehicle is not really being considered here? Says the guy who spent plenty of time on the topic...I never really considered changed timelines...nor will I.

Actually, we all have. If you were to read the whole thread you'd see that this was brought up a great many times, actually. It is an obvious thought that no one could overlook, really. I can understand though how it would seem to be the obvious conclusion to those who have not experienced it. False memories cannot explain why we remember a book title differently, why we remember having it read to us through our childhood, discussing the title because people were confused about the "Berenstein" spelling, and why we have absolutely no memories of it ever being "Berenstain." It also cannot explain why we all remember the exact same spelling.

Think about it logically: if many people remembered a book title wrong would they not have different memories of how it was spelled? Would they not be arguing about it? No one here has argued that it was "Berensteen," "Berenstine" or "Berenstone." The same goes many other things as well. Many of us remember "Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all." None of us remember even the "fairest one of all" part. We all remember the sentence as I wrote it above, word for word.

The extent to which our memories jive is part of what makes this so remarkable.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Yes, and it's something that I have actually been thinking about lately, outside of the Mandela Effect subject, how it is that people can see reality as multiple choice. Not liking something does not make it untrue, but so many people seem to think this way. You keep explaining to them what they are not seeing, yet they hold onto what they can. It's like a language barrier, where there is only so far they can follow with a discussion that goes outside their comfort zone. What confuses me more is how certain they seem that they are open and willing to discuss everything, even after you pointed out how they are ignore key points to the topic. At some juncture you'd think they'd realize that they are not being entirely honest with themselves.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: CoBaZ

You go smaller and smaller, like a fractal. I have no other comment on this topic.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Well, at least I'm talking about the actual, you know, subject.

Not post after post about my own past and the things that make me "unique," attacking others, making ridiculous and lying statements about what they're saying.

Thanks for your critique, though!
I think I'll stay right here and keep participating in the discussion.
edit on 4-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
For those who don't know, one of the instigators/founders of the idea that our common memory lapses and perceptual mistakes are actually indicative of "something else" is Fiona Broome.

Some will not be surprised to discover that Ms. Broome is a parapsychologist, and still maintains a website about ghost-hunting..

According to the Buzzfeed article from 2014 that served to popularize the use of the phrase "Mandela Effect" (Did You Know There’s A Term For When You’re Totally Positive Something Happened Even Though It Didn’t? - Buzzfeed)

Broome says that the origin of her theory came out of a discussion about whether or not Nelson Mandela died in prison. Naturally, this happened backstage at Dragon*Con.

That might bring some additional perspective to the propositions for some folks. Do your own research and see what you discover.

Also, this phenomenon represents so many very important aspects of society ... some of us are asking ourselves ... why are folks so adamant that these events are all connected somehow? Why do they claim special status for their own "pet theories" and suggest that there is some immunity regarding this topic for basic logic and reason to be applied. Who is actually calling other posters names, being condescending and rude here? WHY?

Those are also good questions. This is an important and amazing topic. Thanks to (almost) all who are participating!

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

You can't win here. After I was physically threatened for pointing out the obvious I gave up on this place. You can't believe anything you read here. It's the most uninformed illogical place I've seen on the Internet so far.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy
a reply to: Gryphon66

You can't win here. After I was physically threatened for pointing out the obvious I gave up on this place. You can't believe anything you read here. It's the most uninformed illogical place I've seen on the Internet so far.

Physically threatened? I hope you reported that the Mods! That's really disgusting.

Actually, ATS is a great place. So many different perspectives and people willing to passionately defend their positions! Of course, there are bad apples in every barrel.

I appreciate your concern though; please don't write off the site or all members because of a few "haters."

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: LoneCloudHopper2
a reply to: IQPREREQUISITE

No one has mentioned this Sandy Island as part of the Mandela Effect to my knowledge.

Non-believers in the Mandela Effect all believe there are "mistakes" behind it.

Your post offers nothing new to the discussion.
Good morning friends of this universe and others!

I was surprised to see this post this morning. I watched a program about Sandy Island yesterday. It is very odd they never found an explanation (or have they?) I was thinking a technological glitch until seeing sandy island had been charted several times throughout history!

On the same program there is satellite imagery of a gigantic glowing blue whirlpool that nobody can explain. I was going to make a thread on this because its so mysterious!

I found an article claiming it was an underwater hurricane of sorts but I don't believe it. I would love to find a picture to imbed.

There's also "min min lights" in Australia possibly caught on satellite imagery. (mysterious fire like orbs)

And a neon blue luminescent patch of sea the size of a state. Also unexplained....

All of these are amazing and defy reality as we know it! Maybe something is shifting in our world

edit on 4-5-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Scientist unravels mystery of Coral Sea’s ghostly Sandy Island - Washington Post

From that article:

Seton, meanwhile, dug into the mystery and has now published an obituary of Sandy Island in EOS, the journal of the American Geophysical Union. Her research showed that the island appeared on the 1908 edition of a British admiralty map, which indicated that Sandy Island had been discovered in 1876 in French territorial waters by the whaling ship Velocity. The location and shape of the island on the 1908 map corresponds to what can be seen in the modern, erroneous databases. The island was repeatedly “undiscovered” over ensuing decades, but it remained a shadowy presence in the cartographic world. Some maps labeled it “ED,” for “existence doubtful.” French hydrographic maps deleted Sandy Island once and for all in 1974.

And further, later in the same article:

Christine Phillips, spokeswoman for the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, the successor to the Defense Mapping Agency, said Sandy Island hasn’t been on military maps for many years, though she was unable to specify when the island was removed from the charts. Modern cartography is far removed from the era when maps went blank around the edges or carried the warning Here Be Dragons. But experts in cartography say that the craft is, like any other human endeavor, vulnerable to error. The more information we assemble about the world, the more opportunity we create for making a mistake.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66. Wait a second though. I'm pretty sure there is a recent satellite image of sandy island. Which is what makes it weird again.

I get up at four am for work so i could easily be missing something obvious. Regardless I'm off to find the pic.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Here's a bit about the mysterious milky blue sea. As far as I know this is unexplained.....

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
a reply to: Gryphon66. Wait a second though. I'm pretty sure there is a recent satellite image of sandy island. Which is what makes it weird again.

I get up at four am for work so i could easily be missing something obvious. Regardless I'm off to find the pic.

I for one will look for your source.

Thanks for participating too!

Also, reading the comments on the blue glow video you provided ... apparently this particular event happened in 1995 (or 2005) or so?

At any rate, this is fairly well-known and documented ... and is known as the so-called "Milky Seas Effect" ... (Wikipedia for easy access ...)

There have been 235 documented sightings of milky seas since 1915 - mostly concentrated in the north-western Indian Ocean and near Indonesia. In 1985 a research vessel in the Arabian Sea took water samples during milky seas. Their conclusions were that the effect was caused by the bacteria Vibrio harveyi. Mareel is typically caused by Noctiluca scintillans (popularly known as "sea sparkle"), a dinoflagellate that glows when disturbed and is found in oceans throughout much of the world.

In 2015,July in Alleppey, Kerala, India the Phenomenon occurred and the National Institute of Oceanography and Kerala Fisheries Department researched and found that the Glittering Waves were the Result of the Noctiluca scintillans. In 2005, Steven Miller of the Naval Research Laboratory in Monterey, California, was able to match 1995 satellite images with a first-hand account of a merchant ship. U.S. Defense Meteorological Satellite Program showed the milky area to be approximately 15,400 km2 (5,900 sq mi) (roughly the size of Connecticut). The luminescent field was observed to glow over three consecutive nights. While monochromatic photos make this effect appear white, Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute scientist Steve Haddock (an author of a milky seas effect study) has commented, "the light produced by the bacteria is actually blue, not white. It is white in the graphic because of the monochromatic sensor we used, and it can appear white to the eye because the rods in our eye (used for night vision) don't discriminate color."[5] In Shetland (where generally caused by Noctiluca scintillans), mareel has sometimes been described as being green,[6] rather than the traditional blue or white milky seas effect seen by the rest of the world. It is not known whether this difference depends on the area, or simply a perception of a cyanic colour as being green.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66. I can't find much on any of these things! Thank you too!

Anyway, I found this so far. I'm kind of in a hurry because my job is downtime, spring into action, downtime, repeat....

But here we go, I think this is the pic I saw....sorry if this is a bad source...

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

No worries. I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone; I'm just looking for the best facts I can find.

If you go to about 1:10 in your video, the commentators are clear that older map errors get propagated causing issues like this.

Also, see my post above for an updated edit on the "blue glow" phenomenon.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Here is a link talking about the program where I'm finding these. It is such a great show. I highly recommend it for all of ATS. It's our kind of show. Plus! It seems as though not much of the content can be found online.

Some things are explained. It's based in science not woo. So when something cannot be explained its very exciting.....

www.sciencechannel.com...

Some of this may tie Into the "Mandela effect"...
edit on 4-5-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2016 by GoShredAK because: that was an odd typo

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

NM, Gryphon already pointed it out.

GPS did not exist when these erroneous islands were mapped. Many times their data was miles and miles off when compared to modern data.
edit on 4-5-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

<< 60  61  62    64  65  66 >>

join