It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your 140 IQ Is NOT Impressive

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+62 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I have noticed from time to time that people on ATS like to share their IQ with us as if we are going to be impressed. There are some that even have it in their signature line. I realize this isn't always shared for vanities sake, however, a 140 IQ is really NOT impressive.

I have an IQ in the mid-140s and I have encountered 100s of people smarter than me during my lifetime. In fact a 140 IQ isn't at all rare because approximately 1 in 260 people in the world have an IQ of 140 or better. That means there are literally MILLIONS of people with 140+ IQs.

Look, a 140 IQ is fine, but seriously, I consider it just enough to cause arrogance and be smart enough to be dangerous. It isn't that special without all of the things that go with it like a good memory, good study habits and the self-discipline to learn.

Anyway, IQs are also a terrible measure of success and common sense.

Okay, I just had to rant because it drives me nuts that people think a 140 IQ is all that great or rare.

As always, thank you for your time ATS.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I knight you with a star and flag for this post.
Perfect timing.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Couldn't agree more.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

*You're

Oh wait, my IQ is like 2..

Damn it.. *Your.

Oh you said that..

I give up. I need a england lesson and edumacashun.

*ps I agree with your OP. Especially when those who tout their IQ as a shield against opinion. Yet cannot hold a real world value up to the light without help...

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Hey right on, Metallicus!!! I was thinking the same thing after reading a certain members recent threads. I have never had an IQ test, but consider myself a smart cookie. Probably average IQ, but i don't really care to find out. I can say that when i was growing up one of my best friends had an extremely high IQ and was, smart as &^&$. On the flip side, he could be dumber than a rock sometimes. Just like you said about having no common sense. To this day, he has zero street smarts and a very limited understanding of anything not related to video games/ internet. Women? HA I'll be surprised if he ever gets the courage to speak to one...... Anways, cheers!!

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

It's about as important as having a nice car.

Sure, your car/iq might be "nice", but that doesn't mean you're a better person, better informed or even smarter.

All it means is you passed a test and got a score.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

ALL YOUR IQ ARE BELONG TO US

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I don't suppose it occurred to you

That some people write that just so it irks those who are limited and like to berate rather than realise

Hey

I got an opportunity to learn here

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: SocietyIsRotten

Are you implying that everyone on this board except for you is "limited"? What ever happened to punctuation?
edit on 22-4-2016 by Sourcery because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

In my experience, an IQ score isn't an indicator of whether or not a person is decent. This is very much a moot point, but can intelligence be counter-indicated by bragging about your intelligence?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I remember in sixth grade I had finished a lengthy book and it was the first time for me reading one so lengthy. I told some of my classmates about reading so many pages and everybody was all, ''that's nothing I read one with more pages''. In kindergarten, we were going around saying how old we were and some kids were like, ''well, I'm five... and a half.''
There are some things folks just gotta grow out of... at some point.
I feel like finding these silly threads and telling the high IQ folks that my IQ is infinity... now that's impressive!

edit on 22-4-2016 by peppycat because: auto correct

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SocietyIsRotten

So you use an IQ number to show superiority?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

heh, its fun to stir the pot.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

heh, its fun to stir the pot.

I actually think most of the posters on ATS are smarter than me. I just figure if mine can be 140 something then the rest of you guys and gals must be the 1% in IQ terms. I just try to tread water with you all.

edit on 2016/4/22 by Metallicus because: eta

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

To articulate that one shares a similar intelligence quotient to Hillary Clinton is to admit that one is capable of great lies and big mistakes.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
IQ Score- Ignorance Quantity

Seriously though people who even believe in that BS prove simply by believing it that they lack something and all the more if it is in their statement(under the post), in their title or anywhere else on any profile anywhere. I know who you mean by the way.
Cheers for this.

When I say "they lack something" I mean either intelligence, common sense or some form of pride of themselves.
edit on 22-4-2016 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

When I was officially tested, I ended up with 143 and I am not the sharpest crayon in the box.

People, for some reason, conflate a measure of brain mechanics performance to overall intelligence and that is just not the case. I've known quite a few people who would blow my IQ out of the water but are emotionally stunted and barely socially functional. And on the other end, I've met some extremely dynamic industry leaders who have wit and charisma but aren't too strong in the IQ department.

It's just one kind of intelligence. I used to care about it (everybody who scores high suddenly thinks it's the most important benchmark for human worth) when I first discovered my score. But as I get older, I realize it's just a very specific measurement and it's not even one I use.

link   

I am fairly stupid.

Online IQ tests are a joke.

edit on 22-4-2016 by Lysergic because: long day for me :p

link   

Only 140? It's a wonder you people don't sit on the toilet the wrong way around.

Seriously, IQ ratings are really only how well you answer particular puzzles. You can have a high IQ and be quite unintelligent.

I suspect that the Google search engine would fare particularly well in IQ tests.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

To articulate that one shares a similar intelligence quotient to Hillary Clinton is to admit that one is capable of great lies and big mistakes.

I think Obama and I had the exact same IQ when I saw his published.

I could be President!

You would think if someone is that smart they wouldn't WANT to be President. I can't imagine a worse job. Now someone like Bush Jr. makes more sense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join