It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's 2016 - Where do you get your news?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
So it's 2016, social media, apps and webpages on hand held devices are strong. Many of us still watch TV, read magazines, newspapers and local publications. As I was reading a few threads here and watching some recent political protest videos and rally videos from different candidates, I started thinking about brainwashing and how the media we consume, the people we associate with and the life experiences we have -flavor, color and form our political positions. Sometimes, especially here on ATS, it appears that we are stuck in the left vs right mentality, and actually it's not just here because our whole (USA) political system is a left vs right paradigm.

So I just wanted us to see where each of us gets our news and media from. I think it will be eye opening.

I'll start.

Morning and Evening I spend a few minutes going through my facebook feed. I have almost equal parts left and right wing friends, family some business associates. It's a hodge podge. Then I spend 15 minutes or so with "Flipboard" An app where you put in your interests, and it changes to give you more of what you click on and view. I just view the cover stories so I might get some articles on NASA or space exploration, Climate Change, Travel, 2016 political season in US, Terrorism, Music, movie news etc. 3rd would be ATS, I do a quick view of all recent posts and I can see what's "trending" and all of that.

That's it. That's my daily news and media consumption. I will watch some motivational videos, usually from Eric Thomas or some martial arts videos. My wife will watch some house hunting, flipping or renovation shows on TV.

If I find that somethings breaking news and I want to see some live coverage for a few minutes I'll switch on CNN or headline news. I don't stick around for any analysis. I only want the live feeds or recent video of what actually happened,

No Newspapers, No local news ever. No national news or pundits, unless it's 5 minutes to see what happened in Brussels for example.

Every once in a while like every two weeks as I'm driving to work, I might flip on talk radio just to see what Rush, Beck some loudmouth from Vegas that I can't recall the name...I only listen to him because I wonder if he talks like that in everyday life. LOL He can't possibly! and some sports radio. Even the sports radio I can only take for a minute or two. Although, I think talk radio is about 5 minutes per month of negative whining that I don't need in my life. I think I'll stop doing even that, including the sports.

Go

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I use ATS

Seriously though, I've found ATS to be a really decent alternative news source. For local, I just watch the 6 o'clock news. It's always fun to see the most recent arrest of "hey, I know that guy!"

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
ATS.com, rantburg, atlas shrugs, jihad watch, france 24, the daily galaxy, natural news, climate depot, are all I can think of at the moment, two hours minimum every morning, oh, gatestone institute, and universe to-day, and defense tech. and others.
Good job I am retired!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I get my news anywhere and everywhere. About my only hard and fast rule is to never get all my information in one place. More often than not, there's (at least) three sides to every story: "Your" side, "my" side, and the truth. My biggest problem with the news isn't what we're told, it's what we're not told. It's impossible to really understand any issue unless you're listening to all sides -- even if it's only to know what your enemies are doing.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Scroll face book first thing. Read my local paper. Check Drudge and Blaze. Then ATS to see what everyone else is not talking about.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Me too! ATS!

I'm questioning myself what the signs of addiction are. I'm developing a love/hate relationship with this place, but that doesn't stop me.

When we lived behind the iron curtain, we'd listen to Voice of America. Now, in America, we tend to listen to the BBC. It used to be that so called news was available 24/7. Now I'm thinking everyone has left the building. Plus I'm running out of salt.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
ATS is a big source for me. But I also use the following links for various other news':

~ Technology
~ Technology, Medical Advancement, Science, Mathematics, Theoretical Futurism
~ Archeology
~ Adventure, Travel, Extreme Sports, Gear

edit on 31/3/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Mostly I get my news from here, begin and end my day at ATS!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
For anything credible, not ATS. This is more like going to the zoo to watch the animals do funny things and sling their own poo.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I find myself turning more to blogs these days .I guess for me its about finding someone you can trust and can articulate their source material while not falling in line with the MSM mantra . If you want to know what not to believe then listen to the MSM .You may see a story and you may see how they want you to think about it but the truth is usually somewhere else and is not always the opposite of what they say .

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I get a lot of my news from a lot of sources. Conservative, liberal, BBC, RT, USA Today, Ben Swann, and other unbiased and online sources. Some sources are clearly bias and some are conspiracy minded and on the edge. I think you have to take and compare all sources in order to weigh what's true and who's being biased. Some news sources create fluff just to get tabloid attention or push their political agenda.

Sometimes questionable news sources occasionally have some interesting videos you don't see shown in the main stream media. Just because one news source has a bad reputation, doesn't mean they don't sometimes have legitimate videos or have a good political point to make. They don't have anything to lose like the main stream media who is being controlled by corporate interests and careful not to offend their owners or the political establishment.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
ATS and BlacklistedNews mostly.

Although it's not updated often, I like to check in on Quite Interesting News now and then

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm here of course, besides that, have you tried using the FOIA to ask the NSA?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I get my news generally from Twitter, because it's often the most up to date and the most varied, and usually from people who are right there on the ground and often without their bs political slant on things. It's a lot harder to rant about Trump, refugees or the EU when you only have so many characters.

I don't use FB any more, it's become a pointless soup of inane gossip and "look what I did". I really don't need that in my life.

I check out the BBC News website now and then, if there's something going on to follow. But I take all of that with a massive pinch of salt as I don't trust it any more than I would Fox News, CNN or Reuters.

Interestingly, it seems a lot of people here view opinions as news, perhaps that's part of the problem?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I look here, usually first. There is a lot of news that shows up here first as many have aggregators.

I look at CNN online, but only the first 1/4 of the front page still has news. I get Breaking news alerts on my phone form CNN.

I liked Al Jazeera America, but it is closing down.

I scan Drudge for an interesting article a few times a week.

I look at the PZ news feed (the real one, not the fake one that says e book).

Sometimes searches lead me to The Daily Kos.

The Hill is ok.

Huffington Post, sometimes.

I don't watch news on TV anymore.

I use FB to catch up with friends and communicate with people in my gaming guild on a page we have. I don't use Facebook for news. Though, sometimes I post ATS stories on it.

edit on 31-3-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

I have seen flipboard, I have to get around to using it.
edit on 31-3-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Primarily NPR.
Secondarily CNN.
Third, as a clearing-house ATS.

Local news is McClatchy (KC Star), which is a neutral and very well-run outfit (but they keep asking me to subscribe - uh, NO!)

Fourth, Alternet. Recently: The Atlantic, The Hill, lately RealClearPolitics, The Nation, CBC (Masqua's recommendation).

Once in a while: Reuters, BBC. Occasionally MSNBC if I want to hear left-wing rebuttals to Fox.

NEVER Fox.

Gotta say, I miss the days when I could have said "Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert".

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

NEVER Fox.

Gotta say, I miss the days when I could have said "Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert".

I like your whole post, but mainly these.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Oh yeah - The Daily Kos, as you said - I've been watching that one recently, too.... Benevolent Heretic brought my attention to them.
Forgot about Huffington Post, yes I check with them when I see links posted here or elsewhere. They're a bit too shrill for me sometimes, but I mostly agree with their bent.

RawStory is also good, and TruthOut.
And 538 isn't too bad (now that I know what it is...did you know why it's called that? 538 is the number of electors in the Electoral College (a scam if their ever was one!).

Al Jazeera is closing down? Stupid Islamophobia.

I used to think RT was decent, but now I don't trust them.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Wee dude down the stair from me seems to be on the ball.
LoL

On a more serious note i suppose mass media news organisations, MSM, SKY News, BBC, Al Jazeera plus a few other places ATS being one of them is where i get the news.
edit on 31-3-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join