It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Asteroid or Comet Impact on Jupiter

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
An asteroid or a comet may have impacted Jupiter ten or eleven days ago. Two amateur astronomers — one in Ireland, the other in Austria — independently recorded something slamming into Jupiter and causing a flash. Watch the videos:

youtu.be...
youtu.be...

Phil Plait's article: www.slate.com...

Jupiter gets hit a lot. We’ve seen impacts like this before, many times in fact! The most famous is the string of impacts from the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 in 1994, which hammered the planet over and again as the comet, broken into a dozen separate pieces by Jupiter’s gravity, slammed into the planet and exploded. In 2009 something relatively big hit the planet (and Hubble caught the aftermath). It was hit again in June 2010 (with a cool color photo this time), and then again in August 2010. A repeat performance was held in September 2012.

Looking over these observations, it seems that on average Jupiter gets hit by something big enough to see from Earth about once per year. Mind you, we miss ones that happen on the far side of the planet, or when Jupiter is too close to the Sun to be observed.

Hopefully we'll see some more confirmation, and maybe even a Hubble shot of the "dark spot" that these impacts usually leave.
edit on 29-3-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Very cool vids. I remember the Schumacher Levy 9 one, everyone was waiting for that one. Jupiter, our friendly neighbourhood dangerous object cleaner-upper.

Gotta love Jupiter.

edit on 29-3-2016 by Jonjonj because: spelt Levy like Levi...misspellings...it's in the jeans

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Was it an impact, or just a bright flash of the object bouncing off the outer atmosphere?

In either case, this was a bloody good spot by the two observers whose view of the event has been displayed here.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Jupiter' gravity saves earth again.
I didn't hear about this. Thanks for sharing.👍

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Very cool vids. I remember the Schumacher Levy 9 one, everyone was waiting for that one. Jupiter, our friendly neighbourhood dangerous object cleaner-upper.

Gotta love Jupiter.

Yes indeed. Thank God! And by "God", I mean "Zeus", and by "Zeus", I mean "Jupiter!"

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Gotta love Jupiter.

Yes indeed. Thank God! And by "God", I mean "Zeus", and by "Zeus", I mean "Jupiter!"

It is no coincidence that the word jovial means happy, those born under the influence of Jupiter were thought to be happy chappies. No surprise really, they got the biggest guy in the neighbourhood watching their backs!

edit on 29-3-2016 by Jonjonj because: I stuttered

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Thanks Jupiter!

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Let’s just hope the casualty count was low.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Jumping Jack Flash hits a Gas (Giant)
edit on 29/3/2016 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

S&F cool find! Wondering is there is any better footage out there someplace?

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Could this possibly be one of Jupiters moons disappearing behind the planet ........
.....or emerging ?

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I just saw this on Google News and then looked on ATS...thanks for posting and sharing this with the community.

My personal thought would be inconclusive evidence...I would have expected an explosive glow on the surface of planet...just like a nuke and a disturbance of the gaseous atmosphere.

That said..could also be a UFO

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Our big brother mopping up the threats to us, thanks Jupiter.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Looks like someone nuked it from orbit just to be sure.

None the less good scoping.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

It could have been a massive lightning.

top topics

join