It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Invents Clothes Fabric That Cleans Itself on Its Own

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

They call it "self-cleaning textiles". It's really quite ingenious. Quite a beautiful practical application of science.

Scientists have coated clothe fabric fibres with a substance made of nanostructures which converts light into high-energy electrons (electrons are responsible for binding/unbinding atoms in molecules). Which means, if there's a stain of organic origin on the fabric, it'll literally get disintegrated. All the fabric requires is a source of light - may it be as bright as the sun or as tame as a lightbulb.

The invention comes from Dr. Rajesh Ramanathan, of the RMIT University in Australia.

Dr. Rajesh Ramanathan explains:

“The advantage of textiles is they already have a 3D structure so they are great at absorbing light, which in turn speeds up the process of degrading organic matter.”

The nanostructures are invisible to the naked eye, so the fabric looks relatively normal. The technical part:

When the nanostructures were exposed to sunlight or a light bulb, they received an energy boost that created ‘hot electrons’. These hot electrons released an energy burst that enabled the nanostructures to degrade organic matter.

The scientists’ challenge has been to bring the technology out of the laboratory by working out how to manufacture these nanostructures on an industrial scale and attach them permanently to textiles.

The RMIT team grew the nanostructures directly onto the target textiles by dipping them into a few solutions. They were able to develop stable nanostructures within thirty minutes.

The team also points out that the benefits of this invention is not limited to domestic usage, but also extends to more industrial and scientific applications.

Source

edit on 26-3-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Detergent manufacturers are not going to like it...losing a multi-billion $ industry will do that.

Good for the enviromentalists though, all that detergent running into our water tables, and rivers etc.

Wonder if this coating is health friendly...iow, what if some nanostructures became detached and were inhaled...?

Still...it should cut down on not just washing powders, but also on deodorants.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This scares me because if electricity is simply electrons in motion, then as we are electric beings (impulses) it's sure to cause some kind of detrimental affect. How many of us know about "dirty electricity" which is found in every Energy Saving Light Bulb; it contaminates the whole system and emits harmful radiation. Nano tech is small enough to mess with DNA. a reply to: swanne

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Qwerm

Mate. Each seconds that passes your own body is already making plenty of electrons (add to that, your body has resistance, capacitance, etc). Hell, you exist because of electrons.

Also, the fabric would not generate electrons on the side closest to your skin, because there is no light between your skin and the fabric - unless you have phosphorescent skin, which is of course highly unlikely.

edit on 26-3-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

This sounds similar to oil in frozen Mince. When you heat Mince from fresh... you get animal fat but when you heat it from Frozen... the animal fat evaporates with the steam which leaves none in the actual pot/saucepan.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Does it get the smell out? Or do we say ...........look, clean stinky socks.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Also, the fabric would not generate electrons on the side closest to your skin, because there is no light between your skin and the fabric - unless you have phosphorescent skin, which is of course highly unlikely.

Ahh...so deodorants will still be required then.

I thought the point of wearing clothes doped with these nanostructures, was so that we could wear our clothes without of bodies making them dirty or stink...i guess it only applies to dirt from our environments and not from our bodies then.

Technically..thinking out loud, all atoms use photons to maintain the atomic integrity, they basically bind electrons...our bodies have atoms of course, and so have built in photons...so does the cotton garments and the nanocoating...maybe a future modification of this tech might include the tiny photonic elements of atoms to drive the cleaning process rather than direct light?

Interesting tech nonetheless.

A vehicle paint coating using this stuff would save billions of gallons of water and detergent normally used to wash vehicles.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

WOW - no more skid marks, other than our resident poster.

Awesome, the wife will be pleased!!

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

My Wife is always moaning about skiddies too.

Anyone would think me letting her scrub crap stains out of my underwear gussets was a dirty job or something.

There's just no pleasing some people.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Self cleaning clothes! I think every woman has dreamed of the day when she
no longer had to spend the day washing laundry. Now,what am I suppose to
do with my washer and dryer?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

This is an awesome discovery. Imagine the potential industrial applications, not to mention the household uses like self cleaning patio umbrellas. Just add light!

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
someone already mentioned it: economy.

You won't often see technology getting released that destroys entire industries. that sorta thing is bad for government, which makes it a nonstarter.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

If the inner of the garment is made with strands of silver throughout its weave, then the anti microbial effect of the silver would account for most of the smelliness. Of course, it would only solve the problem of the GARMENT smelling. Ones armpits would continue to produce the regulation quantity of sweat however, so one would still want to use deodorant of some sort, to prevent unwelcome stenches emanating from the area.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Get the washers pipes and other internal water carrying parts cleaned out with a non toxic cleaning substance, then use the washer to mix your drinks in industrial quantities!

The dryer will come in handy for when you get caught in the rain.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: MysterX

If the inner of the garment is made with strands of silver throughout its weave, then the anti microbial effect of the silver would account for most of the smelliness. Of course, it would only solve the problem of the GARMENT smelling. Ones armpits would continue to produce the regulation quantity of sweat however, so one would still want to use deodorant of some sort, to prevent unwelcome stenches emanating from the area.

Could you not weave fine strands of silver into the armpit hair and effectively deal with the issue at it's source?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Could you not weave fine strands of silver into the armpit hair and effectively deal with the issue at it's source?

There's a new innovation in there somewhere..if anyone goes on to develop a product that makes money, i'd likle a share please.

Ladies and Gentlemen, i give you...Deo-patches! ta-dahhh.

Silver nanowire breathable mesh, coated in potassium sulfate...no roll ons, no sprays..just peel and stick under your armpits / crotch. Removable and reusable...only $25 a pair.

Who wants in?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

There's a new innovation in there somewhere..if anyone goes on to develop a product that makes money, i'd likle a share please.

Ladies and Gentlemen, i give you...Deo-patches! ta-dahhh.

Silver nanowire breathable mesh, coated in potassium sulfate...no roll ons, no sprays..just peel and stick under your armpits / crotch. Removable and reusable...only $25 a pair.

Who wants in?

Just remember ladies and gentlemen that this product is not available in the shops.

Order today and receive a bonus gift of one of those things that allows you to cut a cucumber into a springy spiral type thing.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I've actually been toying with the idea of buying one of those for years.

Then i realise i have no need of spiral shaped slices of vegetables.

I still kind of want one though..marketing meh.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I think the difficulty there, would be keeping the silver threaded into ones pit hair. Arms are very mobile things, after all!

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It would work well for continental Woman...they love a nice armpit bush...not so well for British ladies though.

edit on 26 3 2016 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join