It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC News just Shocked me!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Just saw something on BBC news i found quite shocking.

I am sure those of us in the UK are aware that under the latest budget cuts are being made to disability benefits.

Anyway right now I have BBC News 24 on in the background as i often do and they were disguising something (wasn't paying much attention) anyway the news anchor then cut to a reporter inside Westminster and when they cut to this reporter i saw something i was surprised by.

As the shot cut to Westminster there was obviously something in the background of the shot going on, a lot of noise and banners with a group of people surrounded by police. The news anchor then asked the reporter what was going on who said that there had been a protest that had broke out with a group of Disabled people disabled people who had got into the Westminster and where protesting against the cuts.

Fair enough....

but this is what shocked me.

No sooner had the reporter got this information out than a women walks in front of the camera (not police) and informed the reporter live on TV that they had to stop filming with what was going on in the background. The reporter was obviously very surprised by this and asked why to which the women responded that it was against the terms and conditions of them reporting inside Westminster to be filming when this was all going on. The reporter obviously confused by this turned to the camera and said "well i have to terminate this broadcast now" live on TV all because of a few Disabled people protesting.

Does this not go against freedom of the press or something just seems very strange to be that the people in Westminster would not want a protest against disability cuts inside Westminster being reported on.

Did anyone else see this?

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
dream on
no freedom these days

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Ok this is wired they just had another report get cut of with a bad line, I know that happens quite a lot just interesting that it happened not long after this broadcast being terminated.

Not saying i need to break out the tin foil hat or anything just saying I find this all rather strange.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

i dont think you can legally record in government buildings without approval first - especially if its deemed a private building.

security and terrorism and all that. because it broke out instantly they need to get the story right before people are recorded and questioned, we might learn the truth otherwise.

just My opinion

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I wonder if this has anything to do with the guy who protested for years about all manner of things. I cannot recall his name but seem to remember that the laws were altered regarding protest in certain locations and maybe this includes the filming and reporting of it as well.

Nice find though.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

hmmm I guess that's possible I am entirely ignorant when it comes to the rules and regulations around filming in government buildings

However I would have thought that the media would be aloud to report inside the parliament without this restriction.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I wonder if this has anything to do with the guy who protested for years about all manner of things. I cannot recall his name but seem to remember that the laws were altered regarding protest in certain locations and maybe this includes the filming and reporting of it as well.

Nice find though.

ohhhh yeah could be but again is this not restricting what the press can and cannot report.

There is a protest going on right now inside Parliament almost outside the chamber doors against these cuts and its not being reported because the BBC have been told the terminate the broadcast on live TV

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

hmmm I guess that's possible I am entirely ignorant when it comes to the rules and regulations around filming in government buildings

again im just guessing but seems logical.

I remember seeing the BBC News talk to celebrities when they came outside on the red carpet or some kind. It was about the phone hacking scandal. They was asking a bunch of celebrities "if they feel they have been hacked" (obviously to discredit claims of hacking) - When they asked David Jason (Del Boy - only fools and horses) he turend around and said " yes actually there was one time. . . ." then they cut him off and changed reporter - - very dirty.

i cant find the video as i wanted to make it my first and only post, but i cant seem to locate it anywhere

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

The reporter should have continued filming and let the BBC executives sort it out. Today's journalists don't have the backbone, nor do they protect their right to a free press. When incidents like this happen, and the authorities or people come up and tell the press to stop filming, those are the crucial times where they should be protected by freedom of the press. Their responsibility is to expose corruption and attacks by the government on it's citizens. It's the basis of why the press is protected.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

To be fair watching it live the reporter did challenge the woman but she was insistent that they cut the broadcast.

I suppose when your press pass access is at risk you just cut the broadcast then go bitch about it later to someone.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I think the real conspiracy here is why are they protesting cuts?

It was announced a clue of days ago they are not making cuts.

Maybe this was filmed more than a few days ago?

There's a conspiracy for you.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Disabled people = George Osbourne = Complete Political Co-Up.

The woman who told the BBC to stop filming was probably an Osbourne stooge.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I dont think the protestors should have even been in there to be filmed. Due to terrorism etc I thought people were no longer able to gain access so easily! It was Prime Minister's questions at 13.00 so there was a full house so I would be more concerned about the security breach.

If journalist wanted the story so bad she could have stepped outside to interview them. a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I thought that because PIP payment changes have been thrown out but then again there are still a lot who are being taken off DLA and put on PIP and not gaining as many points so are losing mobility cars etc. ESA for Work Related Grouo is also being reduced to £70 plus pounds a week. As most are work related group tgey are being re assessed and put down as a new claim and losing £30 a week. The bedroom tax has also affected a lot of disabled as they need extra room for walking frames, wheelchairs etc. a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Charles Veitch?

www.youtube.com...

Not sure if I can link videos on mobile, I thought those laws applied to the city of London...as in the private city within a city.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Charles Veitch?

www.youtube.com...

Not sure if I can link videos on mobile, I thought those laws applied to the city of London...as in the private city within a city.

Yes that's the chap!

I cannot remember the details but thought it might have been a law that was altered at the same time.

I know that in my current home town of Swindon they have banned public protest and political speaking in the town centre on the basis that it is disruptive to shoppers....

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

His methods were highly effective, I'm not suprised they went down the public disorder route.

We know public protests, marches and large gatherings have to be planned and permission asked due to public safety but I'd like to know what the law states on one-man protesting or small groups.

I'm glad you mentioned that about Swindon, I'll have to do some digging to see if it's law or local policy...Also how much policy or law is implented.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

His methods were highly effective, I'm not suprised they went down the public disorder route.

We know public protests, marches and large gatherings have to be planned and permission asked due to public safety but I'd like to know what the law states on one-man protesting or small groups.

I'm glad you mentioned that about Swindon, I'll have to do some digging to see if it's law or local policy...Also how much policy or law is implented.

link

It was snuck in amongst some other bans on big scary dogs and aggressive begging.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Doesn't surprise me. Did you catch the story yesterday about George Osbourne making a public appearance at a railway building project, and there were protestors?

So they had the railway people dig a hole, so that they could film the Osbourne making a statement part of their trip inside the hole, where nobody could see the protestors.

Welcome to the Tories UK.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Doesn't surprise me. Did you catch the story yesterday about George Osbourne making a public appearance at a railway building project, and there were protestors?

So they had the railway people dig a hole, so that they could film the Osbourne making a statement part of their trip inside the hole, where nobody could see the protestors.

Welcome to the Tories UK.

Jesus Christ - do you not think Labour politicians get up to the same tricks? (or SNP, etc).

As to the thread itself, some Labour MP's were promising to raise it in PMQ's today (see Telegraph coverage). The wording suggests they aren't entirely sure of the position themselves with regard to where filming is / isn't allowed.

Personally i like to see a protest - it shows democratic freedom.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join