It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Have You, Personally, Ever Been Persecuted or Oppressed by a Christian?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm getting sick of all these hypocritical fundamentalist Christian posters and their threads.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Yea as a child I was dragged to church and I remember hating it then.

Persecuted no.

Indoctrinated against my will, yes.

Santa Claus stories would have been much better because eventually the lies, delusion, and BS ended with the truth.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Yea more victim threads, thats what we really need, priest still to this day get away with raping boys, the day you guys act out against the catholic church is the day i will stop having issues with so called christians.

Oooh, can we do the same with Muslims and their Imams?

As soon as Muslims actually out against all violent imams is the day we can stop having issues with Muslims.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
obviously this has to be a joke thread , i think the op proved that well enough.
edit on 20-3-2016 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I wouldn't say oppressed, as much as I would say that I had their prejudice belief pushed upon me and then almost used against me to send me to some sick kind of counseling sessions. When I was a Junior in high school going to a Catholic private school, I asked another guy to home-coming. He not only denied me but reported it to the principal who then told me that I should go through counseling to make my "illness" better, because they claimed to care about my soul.

This may not be your idea of oppression, but to a teenager already struggling to figure who they are on their own, this is a devastating situation.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Well ive never been told by a Christian im stupid for not believing in god like they do, atheists however are the worst.

Bashing Christians because there are pedophiles abusing the religion to make victims is just dumb. Same goes for taking the cruisades as an example for Christianity. Ow and a jehova-witness knocked on your door? Boo-freaking-hoo: you dont like moving your fat ass of the couch for random people, we get it. Thats just all anti-Christian propaganda. That there are people that call themselves Christians doesnt make them Christian like people that abuse religion for their own agenda.

Living like Jesus makes people Christian, going to a church doesnt have much to do with Christianity IMO; If he has existed Jesus wouldnt have intended for people to waste their time worshipping him in houses made of gold if it doesnt help them be more Christian. And a true Christian would treat anyone here with respect whatever his standpoint even if it is his own child. He would only convince others by his way of living and only preach to people who want to hear it or talk about it. And I have met those; not my people but I dont see them hurt a fly, which is why I respect true Christians. I bet even Jesus himself would hate to see how religion has spiraled out of control.

Would the world be better without Christianity or religion? Probably because it is being abused so much. Still no reason to generalise or call people stupid.There have and are many really intelligent people who believe in god. Even scientists yes, but you all like to forget about that when you start generalizing and shoving atheism down peoples throats. What we need from either side is tolerance. But too bad there is always 1 side waiting for the other to tolerate them.

edit on 007am3127000000p86 by whatsup86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
oh, so now we're going back to deciding just who is christian, who isn't....

the crusades, the Inquisitions, the witch burnings, they were all church sanctioned. You can't really claim that these events weren't done by christains when in fact, it was the christians in the highest of offices that brought some these things about. And, to do so will cause you to miss the most important lesson these events in history teach us... that this is what we can expect when church and state walk hand in hand, and church doctrines become laws for no other reason than they are church doctrines! Christ said his church would be persecuted, not pampered by their gov't, and it seems kind of ironic that the closer the church seems to get to their gov't the worse their actions become! it's like dumping a barrel of the worst man-made toxins into the last pure clean stream in the world, it isn't long before the entire stream becomes polluted, with no life within it!

we don't have that many instances where the religion has oppressed people in the US because we have a gov't that is separated by law from religion at the moment. Maybe there wouldn't be so much force standing against the christian community if there wasn't so much force by the christian community to break down that separation, all the while proclaiming they're being persecuted because they can't enforce their beliefs through laws, pointing to those areas of the muslim world where religion and gov't do walk hand in hand like there's a choice to be made at which kind of theocracy we wish to have... seemingly not realizing that it's the fact the the gov't and the religion share the power over the people and this is what gives them the power to oppress, kill, maim, and enslave whoever they wish.

So, I have to ask, whom among the republican candidates are the real christians, I mean they all seem to be at least pretending they are? If not, what about their followers? Are some of them? I mean, during the witch burnings, there were mobs of christians out to witness the great event.. were they really christian? Some of those christians were the ones who opened their mouths for one reason or another, and that is what put the poor soul into danger to begin with... maybe they sincerely feared that the person has unnatural power, maybe the person wanted the harvest of the land the person had been working on all season, or maybe the person heard them speak out about the insanity of what was going on... I seem to be more interested in the spirit that works behind the curtain, the puppeteers, and well, I do believe there is one working within the christian churches now, misleading the masses, and yes, if that spirit gets their way, there will be much oppression, even within the christian community. to sit here and debate who is christian and who isn't trying to caste the blame off of the christian church does nothing but open the door wider for that oppression to enter. they are all christian, it's just that some have been misled down a very dark path.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

the crusades, the Inquisitions, the witch burnings, they were all church sanctioned. You can't really claim that these events weren't done by christains when in fact, it was the christians in the highest of offices that brought some these things about.

It's amazing that today's Christians don't understand one of Jesus' simplest teaching, "good fruit never comes from a bad tree."

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Christians are currently, and have historically been, fighting tooth and nail to deny American Citizens their Constitutionally protected civil rights. Currently same-sex marriage is their enemy du jour. Last century, it was segregation and interracial marriage. The century before that, the christians were supporting slavery.
Christians are a disgusting bunch

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: whatsup86

Ow and a jehova-witness knocked on your door? Boo-freaking-hoo: you dont like moving your fat ass of the couch for random people, we get it.

You welcome door-to-door salesmen with open arms, do you?

I don't. Neither to I enjoy being interrupted in the middle of my work; my home is also my workplace.

By the way, I think you may be mistaken about that going-to-church thing. Christianity is a community thing. Even third-century hermits who lived out in the Syrian desert were very much a part of the Christian community as it existed then. Eastern religions like Buddhism and Taoism are about personal liberation or salvation: Christianity, like Islam, is about doing unto others.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

this is what we can expect when church and state walk hand in hand, and church doctrines become laws for no other reason than they are church doctrines!

You have summed up the situation exactly. Christians don't oppress or persecute others much these days because the devil's bargain between Church and State has largely been broken. That happened quite recently — in Latin America, for example, there are places where it happened within my own lifetime. To the degree that religious office offers power over others, persecution still takes place. The victims, as I mentioned earlier, are mostly women and children nowadays. And people with disabilities. You know, the most vulnerable members of humanity.

By the way, I should like to say here that religious persecution is practised by some adherents of most religions. I live in a majority Buddhist country, and while there is freedom of religion, church-breakings and mosque-burnings are not uncommon.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
And here’s a guy who says he actually did it.

I think his graduation photo (at link) is authentically diabolical, if not in what you might call a soul-selling way.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Oppressed? Personally? No.

Harassed once at our home for months off and on and having my family told my "soul suffering for eternity" would be "on their heads" for not buzzing them in whenever they came around to preach at me, just because I let them in once out of a sincere effort to be civil and communicative with those of a faith I did not share, before telling them they had to leave after they became more insistent that I join said faith? Yes.

Had magical thinking and expectations and longings possibly instilled in me such that I can never fully be happy or satisfied or at peace without some semblance thereof in my life (even if not religious in form) from birth onward, even though I fight internally to resist it? Yes. Though to some degree that would have likely been true anyway.

Personally I have no problems whatsoever with the existence of or adherence to Christianity. Nor any other faith. But those would be my honest answers to the question posed.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Would you feel persecuted as a Christian if all of our money said In Satan We Trust on it? If you say yes, then as a Satanist I would say I have personally been persecuted by Christians.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I live in Indiana where on Sundays it is against the law to sell alcohol and the basis of the law is religion. It it oppression of the rights of everyone in the state because the religious organizations were successful in legislating their beliefs.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Yeah, if you don't see how a significant amount of people with inaccurate worldviews could be a bad thing when they're allowed to vote, then you're an idiot. Christianity (and other religions) are far too involved with the operation of the world. Religion is an outdated coping mechanism and needs to go away.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: okachobi
I live in Indiana where on Sundays it is against the law to sell alcohol and the basis of the law is religion. It it oppression of the rights of everyone in the state because the religious organizations were successful in legislating their beliefs.

That's just straight up bad for the economy.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Persecuted or oppressed? I wouldn't call it that. But I do live out in the boonies so everyone is very religious out here. If they find out that I'm not, their attitude suddenly changes. I have also had these two black women knocking on my door for a couple years trying to sell Jesus to me. They act surprised every time I tell them I don't care like they forget my house. Christians just annoy me... that's all.
Now, if you were able to go back in time and ask the victims of the crusades, I think you would have plenty of examples.
edit on 21 3 2016 by qiwi676 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Christians enacted the laws which prevent felons from voting. So, boom!. Right there you have christians directly preventing me from my civic duty.

It was a christian police officer who subjected me to illegal search and seizure.

So right there your argument breaks down.

I get it, you feel as if Christians are great people who cause no wrong, and this is true. But surely you must see the flip side of this; that there are some christians out there who have committed some truly heinous acts.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I was made fully aware that I was going to hell directly upon death simply because my mother had chosen to not have me baptized. When I had to live with these religious people (mothers' parents) they forced the bible and their religion on me every day. I was not allowed to have friends; they made sure I could never have privacy by taking my bedroom door away. I was not allowed to bath with the door closed; I might be using this privacy to do the devils' work.

Beaten with belts and paint sticks every day to 'help' my poor soul; locked into closets; starved; constantly accused of bringing evil into their house and the suffering they endured by keeping their heathen grandchild.

That's how I was introduced to religion. Those are just some small examples. I took it upon myself to study religions to try and understand why they would have done that to me- from the time I can remember til the day they died.

This atheist (prrrrroduct of ze devvvillll) took care of their ailing asses when they were dying, too, despite what they did to me.

And no, I never let them baptize me.
edit on 110000004911amb16America/Chicago by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join