It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Facts About Drugs That Will Make You Question Everything You Know

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Speak for yourself but not for others please. I think i had enough insight into this drug and lost a family member and a friend to it, another one is hooked so don´t talk down to me like that!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

so don´t talk down to me like that!

Talk down to you?

What you said about trying it once and becoming addicted is incorrect, its not talking down to you.

I said so because I dont rely 2nd hand info, but 1st hand info.

I think i had enough insight into this drug and lost a family member and a friend to it, another one is hooked

Same here, lost family and a few friends, suffered addiction myself and cleaned myself up.

Addiction doesn't and cannot happen from trying heroin once.

Its highly addictive drug but the highly means once addicted its extremely difficult to get off it and clean oneself up not that one becomes addicted after a few tries.

There a physical symptoms that indicate addiction, the human body has a lot more resilience than you might think and it takes a while of frequent use to become addicted.

To get hooked depends on one psychological being, some get hooked quicker than others and start using more frequently which in turn gets them addicted quicker, however its not until use become frequent where the substance doesn't allow the body to heal and blood cells to reproduce is when addiction kicks in and then trying to stop becomes almost an impossibility to the addict.

being hooked, feeling dependent does not equal addiction, I agree that getting hooked and feeling dependent can be very soon after trying it but addiction takes a little longer.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I find it hard to believe fact one, I'd like to see more information on that.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   

So much info to go through

Thank you

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

This is the problem with using Huffington Post, a blog site, to inform yourself.

4 of 5 drug related deaths are opiate related, a great many are FIRST TIME USE OVERDOSES. Kind of hard to become addicted when you're dead I guess.

Source

For the first fact on your list, along with what I have above, the uneducated blogger misread the abstract of this paper:

Source: Extra-medical stimulant dependence among recent initiates

That paper is only about stimulants, of which HEROIN is NOT a stimulant nor is it mentioned one single time in the paper. It is an Opiate. That paper does go on to show that if the usage of STIMULANTS is limited to one encounter, addiction is rare.

The other article the blogger references is: Direct link PDF

Which clearly states:

For purposes of this report, the primary focus will be on methamphetamine

So NOWHERE is Heroin included in any of this bloggers links. This is an uneducated confused individual. Based on that easy research from his first fact, I would encourage everyone to disregard his entire article.

Your blogger also is funded by George Soros as he uses the following site for all his material: Open Society

Which would love nothing more than the majority of the population to be too stupid to stop the takeover.

Edit: I also want to point out a later fact (#3 I think) about nobody in Switzerland dying due to heroin: Another wrong interpretation by the author of the blog. The article he references, and the article that article references says there have been zero deaths caused by INJECTION DISEASES. The author of the article,(NOT A PAPER) Direct link PDF to "From the Mountaintops", is also an employee of George Soros and a contributor to his foundation.

That article says:

Services in the Platzspitz especially sought to address the high rate of overdose death and other adverse consequences of concentrated drug use, including HIV

While the “needle park” did enable some level of geographical containment of drug injection and facilitated targeted health services, neighboring residents and some local officials grew impatient with the spillover effects of crime, desperately ill persons in the streets, and the deaths that persisted in spite of the health outreach

HIV and AIDS-related deaths were the specters that most haunted public health authorities facing down the drug scene

Deaths from AIDS among people who used illicit drugs and other mortality among drug users (from overdose and other causes) dropped precipitously from the early 1990s. The policy seemed to be paying off

So the Huffington blogger was just absolutely wrong on that one. There are in fact heroin deaths in Switzerland even with the assisted program.

source
edit on 12-4-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

You are incorrect. 1 in 4 people become addicted to heroin after just a single use. You are confusing dependency, which is a physical requirement, and addiction, a mental requirement.

Source

Source

Why are you people confusing Stimulants with Opiates?

Edit: Granted, the method of in-taking heroin can greatly increase chances of immediate addiction.
edit on 12-4-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Thank you for pointing out with additional sourced material the ridiculous claim in 'fact' 1. If we are to believe education and outreach are the most effective tools in drug addiction prevention we should get the facts straight. I have no idea what Soros has to do with any of this, but it's disappointing that the OP (who is a self-declared advocate for full, unadulterated decriminalization of all drugs) simply regurgitates bylines and headlines from the Huffington Post and doesn't have the courage to own up to their own falsehoods when evidence/facts to the contrary are staring them in the face. There's a simple reason why the United States is truly in the middle of an opiate/opioid epidemic: they are highly addictive - well beyond only 10%-15% only becoming addicted. Addiction does not chain you down after your first 'hit', but it sure will become a bondage that becomes unescapable after you continue to chase your first hit. This is especially true with opiates/opioids.

Thanks again.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Another area I realize the HuffPo article made a mistake about the deaths in Switzerland.

The index shows less than 1% mortality rate from Heroin (so effectively 0 I guess the blogger thought). That does NOT mean that less than 1% of heroin users died. It means slightly less than 1% of the TOTAL population of Switzerland died.

Switzerland has an annual death rate of 8.1 per 1k. Source

With a population just over 8m you are talking 600~ Heroin related deaths per year.

That brings up another point. Switzerland has a TINY population, so their efforts to control illegal drugs are better suited for such a small population that say the USA with over 350m.

Also, according to this paper:

Switzerland makes more arrests (per capita) for simple possession of cannabis than even the United States; comparative figures for a number of countries are provided in Figure S2. However at the other end of the criminal justice system, small numbers are sentenced to incarceration; out of roughly 40,000 persons arrested each year for drug violations, fewer than 2,000 receive terms of incarceration. Moreover the total number of convictions and incarcerations for drug offenses has hardly changed over the period 1990-2006, Fewer than one quarter of those sentenced receive terms as long as eighteen months. The majority of arrests are for possession of cannabis and result in fines of 250-300 CHF; these are not even recorded as convictions.

The USA would actually benefit from following Switzerland's logic on not wasting tax payer dollars incarcerating people for petty possession. This seems to heavily favor the incarceration of minorities. Like Switzerland though, the population must know to keep it in private areas for private use, else be ticketed.
edit on 14-4-2016 by raymundoko because: format

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

So, I read through this article. It has some good points. Unfortunately they are mixed with myth and a pinch of ignorance. Addiction is half biological, half psychological. But just because a part of it lands in the psychological zone does not make it any less a problem. Addiction results in a downwards spiral that is hard to get away from. Also, please remember that nothing happens in a bubble. When one person becomes addicted, it affects the entire family unit, and that affects the community in which they live. It is a ripple effect.

As a former drug counselor I can say two things. First, chemical addiction to opioids is REAL. It is not fake. Those who are genetically disposed to get a rush from it, report that it feels good. It's like a chemical orgasm of sorts. For my part, I have taken prescribed opioids for pain and I get no such response. All they do is put me to sleep. I get little joy from that, aside from catching up on sleep.

The second thing is that the folks that get a pleasurable feeling from opioids, stimulants, and other illicit chemicals will do anything to get their next supply of their drug of choice. Since the cost of these drugs is so high, they end up causing more harm in their family and community, than otherwise would be necessary if the drugs were legalized and controlled.

Addiction is real. Just because it does not affect my brain chemistry, does not mean I want it in my community. Everyone knows where to get it, though. You know I'm right. It's everywhere. The cops know who is selling it. Nobody seems to care.

I fear one day my kid will get ahold of some. Maybe yours will. Do you want your kid buying heroin? Does it matter if it's legal or not?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
You have made many valid points Krazysh0t

It does however seem that as long as the illegal Elite illicit distributors can find a way to get the funds into the "Legal" Elite banking systems the conflict or game shall continue to plague the lower man of the global financial social pyramid scheme of the drug world no matter the effort.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

this is so right, I don't want to do drugs until i have had a few pints! and I never used to want drugs until I drunk beer.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

You are incorrect.

No,

read the sources you provided they state what I have been saying. You dont become addicted after first trying heroin, sorry but anyone that claims that just doesn't know what addiction is.

1 in 4 people become addicted to heroin after just a single use.

Your sources say about 1 in 4 will get addicted after stating that its unlikely after the first try but after a compulsive cycle of use.

That says that yes one can become dependent on it after their first try but addiction will take a little longer.

You are confusing dependency, which is a physical requirement, and addiction, a mental requirement.

No, dependency is psychological and addiction is physical.

Why are you people confusing Stimulants with Opiates?

Who are "you people"?

the method of in-taking heroin can greatly increase chances of immediate addiction.

there is no immediate addiction.

Read the first paragraph in your first source.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

No, dependency is physical. I provided the sources for you but will provide again.

Dependency

Substance dependence also known as drug dependence is an adaptive state that develops from repeated drug administration, and which results in withdrawal upon cessation of drug use. .[1][2] A drug addiction, a distinct concept from substance dependence, is defined as compulsive, out-of-control drug use, despite negative consequences.[1][2] An addictive drug is a drug which is both rewarding and reinforcing.

Addiction

Addiction is a medical condition that is characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, despite adverse consequences.

I encourage you to further research this subject.

From my source earlier which you told me to read again; Reading beyond the first paragraph as well as the citations provides.

It is estimated that about 23 percent of individuals who try heroin become dependent on it.

And from the same sources, the method of intake does indeed effect how the user will view the drug after the first use:

After an intravenous injection of heroin, users report feeling a surge of euphoria (“rush”) accompanied by dry mouth, a warm flushing of the skin, heaviness of the extremities, and clouded mental functioning. Following this initial euphoria, the user goes “on the nod,” an alternately wakeful and drowsy state. Users who do not inject the drug may not experience the initial rush, but other effects are the same.
edit on 19-4-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Hahaha I honestly have never heard of someone wanting to try a drug and only doing it one little time and never again. Usually people that want to do drugs will do that drug. Also heroine is that morophine basically? Just wondering I never really knew for sure.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: lenzius

I smoke cannabis everyday pretty much. I was expelled from my highschool for it I guess you could say. Got caught with about .1 grams, tiny tiny tiny amount in my car. (I promise I'm not a horrible person or anything just made a stupid mistake)

Ever since I was expelled and finished my senior year online from homeschool..I still kept in touch with all my friends that still attended that public highschool. Turns out they were cracking down on cannabis hard...so guess what?

Everyone started taking pills. I mean everyone. It's easier to buy pills in that small town than it is to buy anything else now. It's ridiculous. I've already came to witness many friends become addicted to Xanax (I don't even know why people would want to take Xanax) also seen friends get into wrecks because of these pills.

It's ridiculous and it cant be stopped because the pills are already here and are here to stay now. I think the reason behind the huge growth in pills is they are much harder to get caught with,, unlike cannabis which reeks.

So I guess the point I'm making is there is a huge problem in the U.S. With how drugs are dealt with. Everything needs to be completely re-written IMO.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I really like Andrew Napolitano, he's not afraid to tell you the truth, hence why FoX let him go.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 9841630America/Chicago04America/Chicago285 by Byteme285 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Great job!

Fact Six: Addiction is not caused primarily by the drug you take; it's caused by distress.

I have always felt that way. Distress causes us to find comping mechanisms, the mechanism for coping becomes the addiction. Whether it be biting nails, smoking, sex, or air freshener ( I get trapped off on episodes of "my strange addiction".. dont judge me
)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Istaywoke77

Part of addiction therapy is trying to get you addicted to a hobby that is considered more "beneficial" to your life. Instead of drinking, play a board game or something. So instead of being addicted to drinking, you become addicted to board games. You are really just shifting the reaction that releases the dopamine receptors to something else.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: lenzius

fear one day my kid will get a hold of some. Maybe yours will. Do you want your kid buying heroin? Does it matter if it's legal or not?

You are right. Opioids cause real dependency however so does alcohol. As a drug counselor, Im sure you are aware that there are the only 2 drugs which cannot be immediately abstained from without catastrophic and sometimes deadly results. The addict must be weened off. I mention this because Alcohol is very legal and once your children becomes of age ( mine already is) they will be able to consume as much as they desire.

Decriminalizing drugs certainly will have a benefit to society, all facets of society. Depressed, hurt, lonely, and lost people will always seek something outside of themselves to cope with the pain inside. The best way to ensure that your children aren't addicts of any vices, is to ensure they are whole people...strong enough to withstand life's tribulation because they have enough confidence in themselves, their faith (if applicable), and their family to know they will be survive. Also, IMO, the most important is to raise children who aren't followers.. they don't have to be leaders.. but they have to know themselves and have their own minds. Cowards will always let a fool lead them astray.
edit on 23-5-2016 by Istaywoke77 because: long nail typos

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Absolutely! My dad stop smoking cigarettes cold turkey after 45 years.. how did he succeed? He replaced the cigarettes in his day with Bic pens!

Unfortunately, several innocent pens were destroyed by his endless mastication
But he is smoke free and now has replaced his Pen dependency with quiet, piece of mind!

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join