It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should anyone be afraid of Dying?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

So I decided to bite the bullet, look 80, 90, and 100-year olds in the eye, and ask them: "When people reach your age, they begin to realize that there are more years behind them than in front of them. What are your feelings about the end of life?" We discussed what they thought about dying and whether it concerned them and occupied their daily thoughts.

One question repeatedly entered my mind while listening to the interviews: Where's the terror? Because what the elders told me is that the intense, overpowering fear of dying is very much a young person's game. I did not detect denial from these elders but rather a matter-of-fact approach to dying and a willingness to discuss it and what it means.

The vast majority of our respondents described themselves as not thinking about death much, and much less so than when they were younger. It's true, by the way, that research shows lower death anxiety with advancing age. Nevertheless, I wasn't prepared for the comfort level most of the elders expressed about their own deaths. Here's how some them talked about their own mortality.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Herr is the thing major religions throughout the world make clear that death is but a doorway or a veil that, keeps us whole after life.

So what is the problem?

Understandably dying before one reaches old age is a problem......but death is inevitable so why be afraid of it????

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

I believe it is a fear of Non existence...

Something that we can't even attempt to contemplate...

Most attempts end in "nothingness"... or blackness... which ultimately makes life meaningless, and leaves it without purpose...

Can YOU imagine what Non-existence is like?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Death is inherent to nature as all things die.

Being afraid of something inherent to nature is like being afraid of a wave collapsing when it arrives upon a shore.

One way to understand Death is that when it results from old age it is reasonable to conclude it ha something to do with nature.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Is one way of looking at it is that there is something wrong if nature?

To be truly perfect one must also be imperfect, so to encompass all things.
edit on 16-3-2016 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Survival is an instinct. It's in our best interests to avoid death whenever possible. It's the same when you blink and close your eyes when an object comes toward your face. It's built-in to protect your eyes at all costs.

In the vein you seem to be headed in, young people can still reproduce. Historically, we never lived past menopause. Now, we do. That may be why older people are less afraid of death--because reproduction is not an issue.

Or not. I dunno. I fear hurting, and insofar as death hurts before you actually get there, yeah. I don't like that.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

As I understand it Birth can be very painful and so in general is Death.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Death is inherent to nature as all things die

Perhaps it is really a question of whatever pain might occur just before death...

Fear of pain is nature as well... even though it is a temporary issue

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

There is absolutely nothing to fear. Not even the way.

Blood eagle if you like. I know its seconds compared to eternity kicking ass.

There is nothing but fear, the mind killer.

You have to respect others though and their journey.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

There are many people who are ready to die for a cause and yes they will feel pain should that happen to them.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
originally posted by: Kashai

Kashai: Herr is the thing major religions throughout the world make clear that death is but a doorway or a veil that, keeps us whole after life. So what is the problem? Understandably dying before one reaches old age is a problem......but death is inevitable so why be afraid of it????

Perhaps they don't realize they made a contract before incarnation; part of that involved understanding why in the first place you chose to be a human got the slot for your immortal soul to insert itself in a human body; (remember this agreement) including what your relationship with the Absolute was/is. Its is a lot to ask of someone taking on this false carnival ride experience. The odds you will understand this truth are astronomical. Ones death is planned; as you planned it prior to incarnating (the circumstance; your age). The purpose of life here is to remember what you planned prior to becoming a third dimensional being. Once understood; you realize your soul/spirit is an immortal being regardless of the temporal body it inhabits.
edit on 16-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

If death means nothing than being afraid of death means being afraid of nothing.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

If death means nothing than being afraid of death means being afraid of nothing.

Physical death is meaningless regarding your soul as it was on a mission to eventually experience physical death. This is not accidental (you chose to be human).

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

I subscribe to the consideration that when we access past lives, we access the Collective Unconscious.

Where those in the past of similar temperaments seem parallel.

But then again there is the issue of environment that in context to history. Presents a much, much more violent environment compared to what in general people experience today.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Exactly.

This was all known. What was not is if you wont go crazy and forget....if you get caught up in your station in life and try to avoid death like a fish trying to breath out of water.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Fear, is death.

True death.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Actually I support such a position.

Nonetheless fear of death is rampant and despite its membership claims, faith over the idea. We are nothing and shall return to nothing.

It would seem apparent that faith does not replace fear.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Kashai: I subscribe to the consideration that when we access past lives, we access the Collective Unconscious.
Where those in the past of similar temperaments seem parallel.

You realize you have an individuated spirit? Its called "personality" that is of the Absolute but very much your OWN identity describing it?

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Fear, is death. True death.

Ad 'Pride' to that equation (what would it look like)? Annihilation of the spirit. Hey but there is the opposite in place. Brownies and Chocolate Chip Cookies.
edit on 16-3-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Say for example one takes a totally Atheist veiw upon life....

in which case we are all made of Carbon (and so on), so it is actually very possible that if Earth was destroyed beyond repair. Because of how we are structured and in the countless years that relate to the decay rate of carbon.

The elemental materials that constitute our physical structure could again become animated.

edit on 16-3-2016 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

That is the problem with atheism. It denies the spirit and forces people to deny all those things that lead the crazies into religiosity.

Its just as flawed as hard line religion.

its an extreme and forces ignorance of more.

That ignorance brews fear you never develop the tools to address.

edit on 3 16 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join