It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My question as a new member: Is the religious-forum the dirty-laundry corner on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
My question as a new member: Is the religious-forum the dirty-laundry corner on ATS?

I'm just asking because I would be dissapointed if I could be, to even have given it a try to post my view on religion and religious-faith in the religious forum, because I have the impression that an open-minded discussion there is almost impossible.

Is it neccessary to pretend to not know anything about religious matters or being a christian to be able to discuss properly an obviously non-popular opinion?

How comes that discussing religious matters the way I do, seem to be such a difficult subject?

Have I assumed wrongly that it is better to freely speak my mind than to pretend to not know anything about certain religious matters?

Do I have an attitude problem? And if so, who is willing and able to tell me, without recommending me to be more humble, what's wrong with my attitude? Honesty isn't appreciated? Just let me know.

Thanks in advance for telling me what my problem is, regarding me expressing my view on religion in a forum, that to me, seem to be the right place to do so.
edit on 2-3-2016 by Willingly because: typo

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I would suggest that you have to be prepared for the fact that there may be people that disagree with you and your particular beliefs.

link   
a reply to: Willingly

There's a lot of passion on ATS and some people's passion will conflict with yours.

Post what you want as long as it's in line with the TOS you wont have a problem. You can have page after page of people who disagree with you, but opinions are like ars*-holes...... Everyone's got one.

link   

I do not know what spawned this rant, but I will attempt to offer you the benefit of my experience here.

I am a Christian. Sometimes I post in the forum you mention, when the mood takes me, or when a thread has a premise or discussion attached to it that I find interesting, or lacking a certain element which I might be able to provide.

While I respect the membership of this site, and their right to an opinion, I also believe in my right to have an opinion, on all manner of topics. Therefore, I sugar coat my approach to that forum, the same way I do with everything else, that is to say, not at all. I have a zero BS approach, and in order to maintain it, I have to basically not give a damn how others respond to my truth.

That being said, we are not here on this site to state a proposition, and either receive a hearty pat on the back, or no response at all. The idea is to discuss and debate the issues as stated, the premise, the proposition made by the threads author. So, if you post a thread or a post and do not get the response that you would like, that's too bad. This is not a megaphone, or a pulpit. This is a place for open and frank discussion. That, by necessity, means that unless you have a thick skin, can take some stick without being hurt by it, can accept criticism of your entire world view without wrath and fury resulting from it, then perhaps that sort of discussion is out of YOUR league, rather than that of the membership as a whole.

Remember, whatever you believe about God, Christ, and so on, that we are humans together on this rock, so loving one another is more important than bashing people over the head with dogma. Forgetting that leads to wars of dominion, intolerance and a whole heap of things that Jesus would frown upon greatly.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Sometimes I wish you'd post more often...... I really do....

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Thats a really nice thing to say Joneselius.

Thank you!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Ohh..good you told me. I thought I could broaden my view while discussing with others. My bad I was confused about that. Now I know better. It's not about discussing. It's about fruitless debating for the sake of being right. And I'm fine with that. I just thought...maybe thinking (for myself) is not my strong suit.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

By it's very nature, the topic of religion and specifically ones religious beliefs is subjective and contains content that others simply think is a control system. Just like some religious people may find atheism offensive and abhorrent because it goes against their core values and beliefs and therein lies the problem - when the subject matter being discussed is "controversial" it will invariably draw those who communicate from their heart, instead of their head - and that goes for both believers and non-believers alike.

There are many ways to express your views and thoughts on a specific religious topic without getting personal towards other members (which can and has led to an ATS T&C violation or even banned) - assertive and not aggressive - always maintain the moral high ground and never stoop to personal insults or jabs, even if you are receiving them.

The greater ATS membership will soon pick up on your stance and level of decorum and converse with you accordingly.

Having good communication skills helps, which comes naturally to some and nigh impossible to others.

I do find though that some members are textbook baiters and simply weigh-in with comments to draw fierce responses - ignore them.

Try to focus on the message and not the messenger because, in the end, we are all gathered here precisely because we share common ideas about the world, what's wrong with it, what's mysterious about it, and what solutions we have to make it a better place for our kids.

Welcome friend, we are all here to learn and grow.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

There's a lot of passion on ATS and some people's passion will conflict with yours. Post what you want as long as it's in line with the TOS you wont have a problem. You can have page after page of people who disagree with you, but opinions are like ars*-holes...... Everyone's got one.

I think opinions are like nasty children, some have non, some have few and some have a whole nation.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Remember, whatever you believe about God, Christ, and so on, that we are humans together on this rock, so loving one another is more important than bashing people over the head with dogma. Forgetting that leads to wars of dominion, intolerance and a whole heap of things that Jesus would frown upon greatly.

Let's hammer that in stone and sell post-cards with that stone on it to tourists.

Thanks for responding.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

As a Christian, even I can only take the religion forum in small doses. But you have to keep in mind that you are dealing in the realm of belief when you step in there. Belief is a different animal than some of the other areas on this forum. A belief is something you have independent of evidence to prove it one way or the other. As a result, we can argue over petty points of scripture or even some of us the wildest unfounded conjecture based on numerology, paganism, New Age stuff, other theologies, etc.

The religion forum isn't going to be a Christian one.

And then there are the hostile scoffers ... they'll crash every thread just because they can. Spend enough time and you'll quickly pick up who they are and figure out which ones are worth the time to engage.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I would love to get postcards like that, and sell them outside the Vatican.

Just so everyone going inside, remembers what living is really all about.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Thanks for encouraging (and warning) me. Very much appreciated.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It is the forum where people that have been banned repeatedly reincarnate at ATS.
They come to troll and argue about things that can't be proven conclusively.
Huge waste of time in my opinion.

Maybe making membership cost something would clear some of those out.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thanks for the advice.

Discussing spiritual/religous matters is difficult, indeed. But can be helpfull to improve ones tolerance for those who are less tolerant than oneself, if that is what is neccessary.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I would love to get postcards like that, and sell them outside the Vatican. Just so everyone going inside, remembers what living is really all about.

Could you do the stone and I sell the post-cards? We could have a flourishing buisness together anytime soon.

edit on 2-3-2016 by Willingly because: correction and typo

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Yes it's an interesting place.
Some people tend to whip the dead horse

Push their agenda, evangelise, attack and rant

It's always a heard mentality, someone always knows better and wants to persuade you they are right and you are stupid

Stay away? Probably not a bad idea

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It is the forum where people that have been banned repeatedly reincarnate at ATS. They come to troll and argue about things that can't be proven conclusively. Huge waste of time in my opinion. Maybe making membership cost something would clear some of those out.

Good to know what to do in case I'll get banned. But I don't think I will because I never got fired from a job. I always quitted myself.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Yes it's an interesting place. Some people tend to whip the dead horse Push their agenda, evangelise, attack and rant It's always a heard mentality, someone always knows better and wants to persuade you they are right and you are stupid Stay away? Probably not a bad idea

But I love to talk about god-concepts! It's one of my favourite hobbys!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Part of the problem is that some people come to the forum with an attitude of hostility.
When this is recognised, they are treated as hostile (which is when they sometimes put on a hurt look).

I spend my own threads simply outlining one particular religious viewpoint, in a positive way.
As a result, perhaps, they tend to be avoided by the trolls (apart from the current recidivist).

But if anyone comes forward aggressively as a crusader against religion, it's only natural that religious people are going to put up their defences.
Someone claims to want a peaceful discussion? Then come in peace, in good faith.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join