It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: Obama Will Not Attend Justice Scalia's Funeral

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ExNihiloRed

More shocking news: I won't be attending the funeral either.

Have you no respect???

This is another one of those "conservatively correct" threads - it's not politically correct for the president to miss a SCOTUS justice's funeral! It's outrageous! I'm offended! How dare Obama choose to not attend a funeral?!?! Blah-blah-blah - you know the drill...

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
But I noticed you aren't taking the high road by not calling your President a douche.

I never called Dear Leader a douche, I said it was a douche move. To be honest though, I am sure that I referred to him, and many other politicians, in very unflattering terms.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Oh most definitely. I have no intention of taking this thread seriously.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Have you no respect???

This is another one of those "conservatively correct" threads - it's not politically correct for the president to miss a SCOTUS justice's funeral! It's outrageous! I'm offended! How dare Obama choose to not attend a funeral?!?! Blah-blah-blah - you know the drill...

Well, for me it certainly is not a Conservative or political correctness thing. I just think it is a perception thing.

Look, I get they probably did not like each other professionally, more the reason then to show up and demonstrate it is not always all about politics. That whole damn city if filled with juvenile adults.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I wouldn't attend the funeral of someone I had no respect for either. With that said, Obama should suck it up and go as he is the current president. On the other hand, he's not up for re-election and almost out the door.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This is not a surprising move from an individual who play-acts at being president.

If there has been a more narcissistic, self-serving man leading a country.........oh wait, I forgot about Louis XVI...

And, if I were Justice Scalia's family I wouldn't want him, Michelle OR Biden at the funeral. It will be a difficult enough day without having to be nice to those disrespectful twits.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Eh, not so much. He showed at Mandela's funeral that he's not suited to those kinds of affairs. He was too busy flirting with the hot blonde to behave with the proper decorum and I'm sure he and Mandela were right up each other's alley politically.

If he can't behave at a funeral, then it's wise for him not to be there.

I didn't take my toddler to his great-grandfather's funeral for the same reason.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

More shocking news: I won't be attending the funeral either.

Have you no respect???

Your post is an unfortunate demonstration of childish antics. I posted this for two reasons.

1. To put forth my opinion that I find this act disrespectful. You can disagree. It has nothing to do with "conservative correctness." It has to do with decency and respect, in my OPINION. Nonsensical responses like yours are just disappointing. Some people think it shows disrespect, others don't. I would have the same response for any president and any Supreme Court justice. Professional respect, which I think should be presented at the funeral to show support for the man's family who just lost a loved one and the country who just lost a very intelligent and respected jurist (even if you don't agree with him).

2. To see if anyone thought this played into the conspiracies over Scalia's death.

If you disagree, then disagree. Your post serves no purpose other than to insult.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The last SC justice to die in office was William Rehnquist in 2005. President George W. Bush, of course, attended. It is the right thing, the honorable thing, and the presidential thing to do.

Therefore, why should we expect Mr. Obama to attend the funeral of a long standing highly respected justice of the highest court in the land? He will send a lacky like Biden instead. So typical of this man. Cannot wait until he is no longer called president.
edit on 17-2-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Oh Gawd, if Obama had attended the funeral, you guys would be griping about how fake and insincere he was for going to the funeral of an adversary. You'd be saying "Trump wouldn't be PC - if he didn't like 'em, he wouldn't go."

Meh.

And everyone would know deep down it was all true. When has anyone known Obama for being sincere about anything? He is always phony about everything anyway.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There's an aside in that link. It mentions that four out of seven judiciary funerals have had a the President or vice-President in attendance.
That sounds about Mr average, who may go because he is a friend, may go because he feels personally compelled to do so, may not go because he was no friend, or didn't like the person, or didn't like funerals, or that the place will be packed.
It doesn't even seem that there is any convention involved to attend.

Strewth! the next thing to do is examine Obama's dingleberries to see if they are alien!

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Most of you have this all wrong. You don't have to respect the man to respect the position that he held and the job that he was tasked to do willingly for this country, regardless if you agree with him every time he ruled on something or not.

Obama should be going to show his respects for a man who served in that position since the 1980s...nearly 2/3rds of Obama's lifetime (or so)...and if not for the man, at least for his willingness to do the job for which he was nominated and doing it with passion.

And for someone who is willing to send officials to the funerals of people such as Mike Brown and Freddie Grey, and to actually attend funerals for people like Nelson Mandela and Walter Kronkite, it's pretty telling that he's not going to the funeral of a Supreme Court Justice with three decades of service for the country.

Hell, Obama went to Sen. Robert Byrd's funeral. In fact, here's a list of prominent funerals that our president has chosen or chosen not to attend over the years. Note that every single government official listed on this list to whose funeral he went are Democrats. Maybe no notable Republicans died...not sure, but I'm just making an observation.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Of course Obama won't go to Scalia's funeral.

If he did, he would be jeopardizing his political/racial divisiveness agendas.

Obama always wants to maintain the "silent" messenger.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
Strewth! the next thing to do is examine Obama's dingleberries to see if they are alien!

They're not, but I'm sure they have GMO corn from Monsanto in them

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
There's an aside in that link. It mentions that four out of seven judiciary funerals have had a the President or vice-President in attendance.
That sounds about Mr average, who may go because he is a friend, may go because he feels personally compelled to do so, may not go because he was no friend, or didn't like the person, or didn't like funerals, or that the place will be packed.
It doesn't even seem that there is any convention involved to attend.

I understand your argument and it has validity, no doubt (with the exception of the unnecessary dingleberry aside). With that said, I still think the President should always attend. Just because others have also been disrespectful, does not change the nature of the disrespectful act.
edit on 17-2-2016 by ExNihiloRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
You know, what I really would love to see at some point in the future is Scalia going to Obama's funeral.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
"I won't be attending either."

Or being POTUS.
Or living in the White House.
Or signing federal legislation.
Or issuing executive orders.

Hmmmm..... seems like being POTUS is different than being an everyday citizen, huh?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Obama doesn't attend too many funerals because not enough people pay attention to him. The funerals go on and on about the dead person.

The dead can be so selfish sometimes.

How can Obama give a speech about how wonderful Obama is, if he's supposed to talk about some guy that can't do anything for him?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Meh, from the sounds of that other thread, good ol boy John Poindexter was one of th people that found him.

He is a pinnacle of reliability. And a felon.

Praise Reagan!
Praise Reagan!

Praise bush!
Praise Bush!

So many people on this website won't even know Iran contra...and the fallout.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Meh, from the sounds of that other thread, good ol boy John Poindexter was one of th people that found him.

He is a pinnacle of reliability. And a felon.

Praise Reagan!
Praise Reagan!

Praise bush!
Praise Bush!

So many people on this website won't even know Iran contra...and the fallout.

Good grief, people!!!! Read and read with understanding!!! THAT Poindexter you are referring to is NOT the Poindexter that found Justice Scalia's dead body.

The Poindexter you are yelling about is Admiral John Poindexter.....a different one.

You are not the only poster to make this mistake, but...sheeesh!...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join