It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science Teachers’ Grasp of Climate Change Is Found Lacking

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The problem is not that the earth might be warming up because of man or another source.

The problem is me, I don't trust them the anti or pro. We live in an age where we can falsify anything, fake anything. Don't tell me nobody is trying to fool us. We have the technology to warm the atmosphere if we want, to warm the ocean, we can crack the planet in half if we wanted to. It is NOT impossible to have thousands of people pledge allegiance to a cause and lie lie lie...Look at Nazi Germany, look at the armies of the world, FBI, CIA, MOSSAD, government agencies, shills on the internet, many many examples of a lot of people shutting their mouths or quacking pure confusion because they believe in something or someone is holding something dear to them hostage.

"But the data, look at the data!!" Data collected from a device that I don't trust, that can alter data as it is read. We have computers that can calculate 5534534 faster than 5 years ago. Data that other experts don't trust either.

"But peer review?" Peer review and reproducing experiments where data was collected for decades and costed millions, sure I can reproduce that. Not to mention that peer review is not some kind unmovable monolith of truth.

What is all of this is natural? Do we still need a taxe on carbon? Do we still pollute using fossil fuels? What if all of this is a natural phenomenon? How can I can I make sure? I should just trust right?

There is so much money involved, so much money, on both sides of the debate that its just impossible that nobody will cheat in my mind. Impossible, there are way to much riding on the carbon taxes side of the debate and on the oil tycoons flip side. All this money, think about it, how can I trust nobody with this much money involved?

The real problem is human nature: vengeance, laziness, greed, jealousy, lust, wrath, etc. Those are what causes alllllllll the problems we face on this planet, ALL. We don't even address these problems because science is useless when faced with these problems. It doesn't matter what model you choose, what technologies are used, some men are just rotten and will cheat and horde and keep the power all over again.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: mc_squared
Those same physics that are so easily reproducible today that 5th graders can confirm the proof which supposedly "doesn't exist"?

These kids may be poorly taught but still seem to be light years ahead of the average ATS skeptic if you ask me

The earth is in a jar? Amazing...

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

"Eric Plutzer, the lead author of the paper and a professor of political science"

That is EXACT what the global warming story is - political/

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

No but the same physics and chemistry apply. If that's too hard to comprehend I suggest maybe having a chemistry PhD explain it over the phone so you can have the satisfaction of hanging up on them

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Maybe things aren't so bad after all....www.climatedepot.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
Unfortunately, industrialists have discovered that they can use the right of self expression and freedom to debate to confuse the public. The tobacco industry disputed the self evident fact that smoking is hazardous to health for decades by producing bogus studies, and finally claiming that people had a right to choose for themselves

The tobacco industries employed real scientists, paid them loots of money and those scientists produced bogus studies.
Unbelievable, do the research

You should be a lawyer, defending criminals

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

The tobacco industries employed real scientists, paid them loots of money and those scientists produced bogus studies.

Please re-read what I wrote.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

It should be noted that the obfuscations are NOT only directed at the science, but have infected the ways in which both evolution and AGW are being taught and thought about.

I do not believe Krazy understands that the things in which he steadfastly believes are thoroughly full of haphazard "science".

And we are tired of being told to "feel" that these things are fact, I.E. SCIENTIFIC THEORY.

It is high time for ALL of the misinformation to be nipped in the bud, and it starts and stops with those who tow the party lines.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
I was pretty sure we'd already past the "point of no return" with Global Warming or wait, it's Climate Change now.

Guess the science is still out on the name. Maybe they need to work that out before they start teaching it in schools as if it were fact.

It's climate change because a rise in temperatures in one place will disrupt the weather in another differently. For example, a rise in water temperatures in the Caribbean will disrupt the Gulf Stream and Jet Stream and make weather in Britain much wetter.

This is not difficult to grasp.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The FABRICATED evidence that human activity is a major cause of recent climate change is overwhelming.

You sheeple will fall for just about anything.
edit on 14-2-2016 by comawhite12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I don't accept the premise of ignorance of science teachers in our school system when they are given guidelines as what to teach. They usually teach science in the traditional sense and are encouraged not to bring political or religious views.

I am close friends with several teachers including my son who make it clear to me that their job is to teach excepted traditional subjects. My son also makes it very clear to me that subjects like creationism and global warming are not taught other than brief conversation and isn't subject to testing.

It was suggested by my teacher friends that I research the subject of global climate change. I did so. I ordered several books and read them with much interest. What I read left me with more question than answers. The overwhelming tone in all the books were political and not science. The initial scientific findings by the scientists of the United Nations could not be duplicated as required in scientific research. Why should educators teach as fact unproven science? Why has the UN changed the climate condition to meet the science? Global cooling in the 1970s & 80s global warming in the 1990s to climate change today to meet the prevailing science.

Most scientists agree that the climate is changing...this is the 97% to which the UN refers. They say that there is two types of climate change. This I agree with! The first is the natural change and then there is the Michael Mann's hockey stick variety accept by the UN's IPCC which is pseudo-science. Mann's warming theory was not done in the most strict scientific methods and has been unable to be duplicated. To prove a theory it must be able to duplicated by other scientists. The IPCC accepted Mann's theory because it's hypothesis provided for their need prove man-made warming.

In the mid 1990s, politicians became involved. Vice President Al Gore and his Director of NASA jumped on the side of the UN. Gore followed this by opening the Chicago Carbon Credit Exchange. He wanted to sell to industry the ability to be as polluting as they wanted as long as they purchased carbon credits from Gore. This is not science but graft! What do you want the teacher to teach...science, economics or history?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Nice. I liked your account and knowledge of school systems. I am only knowledgeable about the US' system. I've read about others as I eluded, but I'd be lying if I said I was an expert on them.

I like your solution to allow trade school as a secondary option to college. For the life of me, I can't understand why we stopped accepting trade schooling as a viable thing to do after high school. The narrative became college or nothing, but there are plenty of good paying jobs in the trade industry. Heck my buddy, who is a year older than myself, just started working towards his electrician's certification. It would have been nice if he had that alternative back in high school.

As to my point about how the better use of resources would be to use Madison Avenue advertising techniques, I would only add that something must be done and done so quickly and in the most efficient manner possible. Its quite obvious that because of the various effects of climate change, huge changes in the way life is lived in the US are just over the horizon, or perhaps, as in my area with wind farms, its already on the horizon. US Americans are going to have to learn to live with profound changes in the way they live their lives. As a result, its fundamentally necessary that US American youth be educated as to why these changes are important and must of needs be made and for those for whom education has only a limited effect a carefully crafted and skillfully implemented Advertising campaign is most needed.

Agreed...

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

Yea, I'm not sure why people think I'm some set in my ways ideologue. If you read my post history over the years here, you'll see that I've changed my mind on more than just climate change. I follow the evidence, not repeat mantras designed to get you to close your mind to new evidence. I'm not afraid to say I was wrong.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

I don't think anyone can deny climate change though I have read and heard some crazy examples
I am just waiting on conclusive evidence
My fear is the powers are manipulating the evidence based on pseudo science at the moment

There is no question in my mind the waters where I live are warmer, man made, maybe, even definetly, fully responsible?
I will await the evidence

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

From my reading the scientist say there is two types of global climate change. The first is the model that indicates a natural change then there is the "catastrophic weather change" that is man made as presented by the UN and its' IPCC.

I have no problem with thinking that man has influenced the environment in small areas. As a case in point was Los Angeles until it was addressed by emission controls on automobiles. The air quality is much better than in the 1960s. In my area you could fly from Cincinnati to Detroit on a clear day and you couldn't see a mile. It is much improved today. China and India have the same problems but make no attempt to correct it.

Our politicians take it upon themselves to tax us and fix other country's problems. This is the information rammed down our throats by the UN and the current administration. They make excuses like the major polluters are developing nation and are poor so we need to be fixing their pollution issues. Why? We have the money to help! This sounds fishy to me!

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

If you don't have an understanding of the guidelines as you call them how are you expected to convey them to others??

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

If you don't have an understanding of the guidelines as you call them how are you expected to convey them to others??

I'm just passing on what I have read and believe. I'm am entitled to my opinion.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

maybe thats why teachers aren't on board with pushing a religious belief onto their students, because the more I look the more I see the debate of climate change displaying elements of religious fervour.

There is no use in trying to argue with the church of climatology.

Anyone with a different view is a heretic, and they try to burn them at the stake.

They are TRUE believers in a political agenda, and they offer NO solutions other than to :

1. blame business.

2. Create scams like carbon credits.

3. Want to tax people more than they already are.

4. Make good, and services cost more than they already are.

5. Make current energy prices more expensive than they already are.

Pretty much like what the church use to do with absolute power.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Maybe you're looking at this the wrong way.
Science teachers have a science degree from a college. They should be able to make an informed decision on climate change. Maybe that's exactly what they are doing.

You would be surprised and dismayed by how little many teachers actually know about their subject matter.

Not really. I know several teachers very well and am not impressed with their grasp of the world. I was only pointing out that these people are supposed to be educated. I teach my kid the things that are important and the school just worries about standardized test scores.

the only thing that's counts in this country, is having enough money....this is how oligarchy's work....more money, private schools for your kids...more money, better neighborhoods...more money, better healthcare....more money, more political influence, etc.....more money makes you freer in America, not the constitution.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

maybe thats why teachers aren't on board with pushing a religious belief onto their students, because the more I look the more I see the debate of climate change displaying elements of religious fervour.

There is no use in trying to argue with the church of climatology.

Anyone with a different view is a heretic, and they try to burn them at the stake.

They are TRUE believers in a political agenda, and they offer NO solutions other than to :

1. blame business.

2. Create scams like carbon credits.

3. Want to tax people more than they already are.

4. Make good, and services cost more than they already are.

5. Make current energy prices more expensive than they already are.

Pretty much like what the church use to do with absolute power.

I can't wait for you to move to Beijing, and live there. that way you can enjoy all the "clean air" Chinese businesses has to offer....oh wait, that's just nature right?....my bad

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join