It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong police and food vendors clash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Hundreds of protesters have clashed with police in Hong Kong during an operation to remove illegal food stalls in the Mong Kok district.

Police used batons and pepper spray, and fired two warning shots, against protesters throwing bricks.

Hong Kong police and food vendors clash

This ... this looks like warfare. These people must be desperate.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

edit on 8-2-2016 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
#foodlivesmatter

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Jesus what a mess. This officer discharges his weapon, over the head of the crowd.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Wow.

Right in front of McDonald's.

I fully support Hong Kong in shutting that place down.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

Wow.

Right in front of McDonald's.

I fully support Hong Kong in shutting that place down.

The year of the Monkey is off with a bang.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Wow they are some serious protesters,see em attacking the police like that....

What i find interesting as well is that the recent riots we saw in the U.S the protesters did nothing like what we are seeing here imagine what the response would have been,we are led to believe China cracks down harder on their citizens worse than say a free western country...hmmmmm

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

edit on 9-2-2016 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Hong Kong is an autonomous special administrative region.

Because China only got control of Hong Kong back from the British in 1997, after decades of the area being under British rule after the Opium wars, and under Japanese control during part of the Second World War, at which time control went back to the British, the people of Hong Kong would never have accepted the sort of totalitarianism that is practiced by the rest of China. They had grown accustomed to certain freedoms, and would not have accepted Chinese mainland brand authoritarian control.

Part of the hand over agreement, was that trade and administration, as well as public order, would always be a matter largely for the leaders of the autonomous region, rather than being under the sole control of the main Chinese leadership. Essentially, while remaining linked to China in terms of national ties, and other purely notional aspects involving borders and whatnot, Hong Kong is pretty close to being its own little thing, unto itself. It is not ruled the same way as the rest of China. If this happened on the mainland, this rioting, hundreds would have been shot right then and there.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Already posted about it here while it was happening

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Anyone who studies policies and tactics of CIA and other US government agencies can smell the coffee here.

US has done the angry food vendor revolution investments before.

Not saying i know for sure that's going on here.

But if Chinese suspect foreign play, tanks will roll, people will be crushed and US backers will run out filled with broken promises to rebels

Things don't work out, oh well run and play dumb

edit on 9-2-2016 by VanGcouverite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
things are back to normal now. Lots of people are out.

the hawkers are back on the streets but the cops are ready for trouble this time.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

What i find interesting as well is that the recent riots we saw in the U.S the protesters did nothing like what we are seeing here imagine what the response would have been,we are led to believe China cracks down harder on their citizens worse than say a free western country...hmmmmm

This is Hong Kong. Not china mainland.

The tactical police are out now and things are normal.
Hawkers and people are out again.

The people there don't give a crap, they just want to make a buck and have fun.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Ah yes thanks for clearing that up, for some reason i thought there were riots in China too...I thought that Hong Kong was under a similar rule to china when it was returned from the British empire....clearly i am confused...

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It's a confusing situation. I cannot think of any place in the world, where one part of a nation is ruled so differently than the rest, as Hong Kong is to the rest of China. The handover process was designed to allow Hong Kong to be a bridging point for commerce between the Chinese and the rest of the world. But the crafting of the hand over agreement did not stop at that. By installing a chief executive with various powers over the way of things there in Hong Kong, the Chinese central government were able to attain the region back from Britian, both without loss of face, and without having to send in troops to quell inevitable mass dissent on the part of angry Hong Kong residents, in the event of the central government trying to insert its methodology into Hong Kong.

If the Chinese had taken control of Hong Kong with the same rigidity as they apply to the rest, it would have been a bloodbath, with gangsters, political factions, and bog standard anarchism thrown into the mix, one which might have lasted decades. Although it no doubt aggravated the leadership of China at the time to have to dial back and curtail their normal policy regarding order and commerce, I am sure that even the staunchest of their company men would attest these days, that the way it was handled was the best compromise available at the time, albeit a strange one!

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

They do, in Mainland China. They have limited recourse. Hong Kong is different and still has been wanting a greater say as of late, and China has been resistant.
edit on 12-2-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join