It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan is on the brink after US invests $100 billion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This just gives that special feeling as a taxpayer. You know what I'm talking about, right? That warm fuzzy feeling from deep inside. Wait....FALSE. That is just indigestion from the BBQ I just ate.

What a waste of our money, and not to mention our absolutely horrible long running foreign policy. This proves we have done nothing meaningful, or helpful, in Afghanistan.

When will we have enough? Who knows? Our generation has proven to be extremely complacent, even when the truth is shoved in our faces.

Here is the link.

Afghanistan's economy is worsening and its security deteriorating despite more than a decade of U.S.-led reconstruction efforts and more than $100 billion poured into the country, according to the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, an independent oversight agency created by Congress in 2008.

More than 6,800 U.S. troops have died between 2003 and 2015 in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, according to the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs. Since 2002, more than $100 billion has been spent on rebuilding Afghanistan.

Wonder what we could do with 100 billion to help the people in need in our country?

It wouldn't go far, but we'll probably never know.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: solongandgoodnight

It looked like a safer and even peaceful place in the 60's

www.theatlantic.com...

I guess it hasn't fared so well due to U.S. Imperialism (and its close proximity to Pakistan & Iran

Now it's a war-battered, opium production haven *sigh
edit on 4-2-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Money injections from foreign governments will never create an economy. It just breeds corruption.

My old unit and I did a lot of good while we were there. However, whatever good we did, our political leaders erased it.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

For that much money and effort we could have colonized mars. We could have educated every young person in the country....

Screw it. Lets just kill ourselves. Give them everything and just burn it all.

Sick.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
As long as others poke at A-stan...it teeters on the brink. But it is a combustion chamber that generates a lot of money. And the average Afghani pays the immediate toll. Been that way for quite some time. Don't see things changing any time soon.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
No where near enough invested in the MIC and war. The Republican leaders keep telling us the these ISIS guys driving Toyota trucks with gun mounts and AKs are at the point of defeating the largest military in the world. The military must be increased. Doom is on the doorstep.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well, here's where 43 million of it went.

hereandnow.wbur.org...

How else are our representatives going to go to bat for big oil and fracking when Afghanistan doesn't even have a natural gas pump?

I can sleep so much better now that they have a natural gas station which no one uses. Ahhhh the waste.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Money injections from foreign governments will never create an economy. It just breeds corruption.

My old unit and I did a lot of good while we were there. However, whatever good we did, our political leaders erased it.
I just think this is good for all of us to see. Thank you for your service!

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

For that much money and effort we could have colonized mars. We could have educated every young person in the country....

Screw it. Lets just kill ourselves. Give them everything and just burn it all.

Sick.

Cheer up we have the money invested in Syria now too look forward too....

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

An even better example of our stellar foreign policy

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
$1B is just the tip of the copious amounts of opium produced.

en.wikipedia.org...

Notice any heroin use in Your neighborhood? If the user doesn't end up dead they end up in a "private" prison..

Look at the growth rate (enclosed) If Your retirement fund showed the same growth You'd be lighting big cigars w/$100 bills...

In the 90s it was "The Crack War" when they went for the Urban male.. He is just now getting out of prison so they need bodies..

Maybe they can get $2B out of the Clinton Fraudation from Her Saudi puppet masters?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I doubt that $100 billion covers all of the continuing care and benefits that need to be provided for the veterans of that war.

A Space.com article details the NASA cost estimate for a manned Mars mission:

A manned Mars mission would be incredibly expensive. NASA estimates peg the overall expenditures at about $100 billion over 30 or 40 years, Sherwood said, but those numbers may be too low.

So, $100 billion is an underestimate of the Mars mission cost. On the other hand, $100 billion is also an underestimate of the final cost of the war in Afghanistan. It would have been nice to see something positive come from all that money.

-dex

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Related:

"Hungry China sees more riches than war in Afghan future"

www.cnbc.com...

"China Considers Larger Role in Afghanistan Peace Process"

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Really? Private prison?

You do realize only a very small percentage of our prison system is privately run, right?

There are approximately 2 million inmates in state, federal and private prisons throughout the country.

How about privately held?

About 18 corporations guard 10,000 prisoners in 27 states.

globalresearch.ca

That's out of TWO MILLION people in prison. That's .5 percent of all people locked up in America. That's not even 1%.

Private prisons aren't the issue -- the TWO MILLION people overall is the issue!

edit on 4-2-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

no you didnt
and your political leaders sent you there and gave you those orders
youre speaking out of both sides of your mouth

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: fartlordsupreme

Oh boy...Another know it all.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

not even close
just a know enough
are you going to argue that point or just stick to the name calling?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: fartlordsupreme

not even close
just a know enough
are you going to argue that point or just stick to the name calling?

Still waiting for you to tell me how you know what I did and didn't do.

You have zero knowledge of operations I've been involved with. You know nothing of even what areas of Afghanistan I operated in, but you seem to be very confident that you "know enough" about what I did.
edit on 5 2 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   

The russians were there for ten years so the lessons were there in history. But Bush put no stock in history or science. It is that vote, IMO, that will lose Hillary the democrat vote in the end. It is all part of the Wall Street ties and making money for stockholders.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   

tell me then

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join