It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed: No Roads, No Problem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Lockheed Martin put out another commercial touting their hybrid airship design. They actually have a lot of potential if they can keep the costs of building and maintaining them down. However, with the current helium shortage and the consequential rising market cost of helium, it might kill popular sales of an aircraft like this until they helium costs come down.

More than two-thirds of the world's land area and more than half the world's population have no direct access to paved roads. As you move farther away from infrastructure, cost, time and the safety of transport becomes more of a challenge. The Hybrid Airship enables affordable and safe delivery of heavy cargo and personnel to virtually anywhere – water or land – with little to no infrastructure.

lockheedmartin.com...
edit on 3-2-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
wow... that aircraft looks amazing! i live in buffalo ny, i remember when the bills were good and goign to the superbowl every year, the good year blimp would always be in town. i lived right next to the airport, so i was in fatuated. one year, they had 4 blimps for the monday night game vs the broncos... it was met life, good year, goldschlager and a white and green one... may have been fuji film?> i absolutely loved seeing so many blimps flying around.
then after 9/11 it was illegal to fly an aircraft over a stadium, and i havent seen a blimp in the area in over a decade.
this guy looks like it could go just about anywhere. weird how technology from the 1800s comes back in the 2000s

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The return of the Zeppelin what a great innovation
realy what else for the 21 century ?
edit on 3-2-2016 by darksidius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

bah.

I'm no lighter than air fan, except for the hot air balloons for fun. LTA craft are too delicate.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha
Me too waste of money about it, keep money for working on new plane propulsion system instead of big balloon. One shot in it and bye bye..

edit on 3-2-2016 by darksidius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Awww OP you missed a prime opportunity to post this:

S&F though. This is pretty cool actually.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Here's where I probably lose your endorsement.

I'd have loved to have the 4 engined tilt rotor replacement for the C-130 the army looked at before 2010. If they can delivery payloads vertically like a chopper with the range, speed and payload of a C-130...

MUHAHAHA.

ahem.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I'd like to see it get off the ground...as a project that is. I think they are great machines, it's lighter than air, but still a lifting body, the body is solid, the gas is inert and safe, you can shoot at it all you want. The dimensions can be huge, much better than in a jet, sitting there like a fecking sardine.

This would be like a fast land trip without the hassle, and loads of room...brilliant.

Oh! and they relatively cheap to run.

edit on 3-2-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The fragility of the skin could be rectified with graphene ....its supposed to be bullet proof too.....though it my be too heavy, but im sure its doable....
edit on 3-2-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: nobunaga
wow... that aircraft looks amazing! i live in buffalo ny, i remember when the bills were good and goign to the superbowl every year, the good year blimp would always be in town. i lived right next to the airport, so i was in fatuated. one year, they had 4 blimps for the monday night game vs the broncos... it was met life, good year, goldschlager and a white and green one... may have been fuji film?> i absolutely loved seeing so many blimps flying around.
then after 9/11 it was illegal to fly an aircraft over a stadium, and i havent seen a blimp in the area in over a decade.
this guy looks like it could go just about anywhere. weird how technology from the 1800s comes back in the 2000s

It hasn't really come back, just slowly faded from its peak, but you're still absolutely right and justified. It's weird.

It's somethign to keep in mind when considering the future. Maybe 300 years from now people will still be using jets for atmospheric travel instead of something exotic like the anti-gravity hoveboard in back to the future or a sort of quantum effect or obscure science. Alternatively it'll be a mixture of exotic wonders and mundane tried and trues.

We still do and make many of the same things today as 500 years ago.
edit on 2/3/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Meh...

When they go public with black triangles, wake me up!

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

What are you talking about? Who's shooting at it? I don't recall seeing in the attached videos any mention of military combat zone application. This is a commercial vehicle. One aptly suited for the environments is designed for.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

That is cool as it gets right!!! do they come in personal size also ??

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

I guess you'll be living the rest of your life asleep then.

Meh.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: uptouandme

That would be nice. I'd rather float to work than drive.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
The fragility of the skin could be rectified with graphene ....its supposed to be bullet proof too.....though it my be too heavy, but im sure its doable....

The body is rigid, probably of carbon fibre composite and alloy, it is slightly heavier than air, and is also a lifting body...a hybrid flying aircraft, and doesn't need to be bullet proof per se. Helium is non reactive. It is not a Zeppelin.

This video explains the ethos of the project

edit on 3-2-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Exactly, Lockheed does a lot more than make military aircraft. I can see a few of these take over some of the more dangerous or long haul loads that big rigs would normally do. If the design allows for it, maybe have a sort of floating restaurant that would float up and down certain tracks providing incredible views.

Now the real question, would you fly one of these or float one? Either way I`d love to control one for a living.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

The Hybrid Airship enables affordable and safe delivery of heavy cargo and personnel to virtually anywhere – water or land – with little to no infrastructure

Read that as.... 'Able to deliver huge loads of military / mining / fracking / logging equipment and personnel deep into pristine wilderness areas minimizing the expenditure on roads and other infrastructure whilst maximizing extraction potentials'....

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
How about as rescue or fire suppression? Flint Mich. could use some water I heard...

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Yea, could really see that behemoth floating over a wildfire (and related thermals etc).... and rescue... what?.... elephants?.... blue whales?... dinosaurs?... lots of people? maybe...(or at least those ones dispossessed by the actions highlighted in my previous comment?

I really wish I could see a humanitarian use for something like this, but unfortunately human nature and greed gets in the way.

<<   2 >>

join