It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago violence climbs again with bloodiest January in 16 years; 51 murders, 242 shootings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
www.nydailynews.com...

CHICAGO — Chicago police are reporting a dramatic spike in the number of homicides and shootings in the city’s bloodiest January for at least 16 years. It’s another blow to a department that has struggled to regain public trust following the damning release of a video showing a white officer fatally shooting a black teenager.

What is going on in Chicago? This is horrible and unacceptable. Why aren't any of the Presidential candidates talking about this? Where are the blm people? This is insane. Why hasn't the governor done anything? If the city officials can't stop this why doesn't the governor try? Isn't this Obama's territory? Does noone care about these people?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Rand Paul is talking about the poor and criminal justice system and has legislation about it. I haven't heard him mention this exactly.

At some point they may realize they need to put more police in place and take some drastic measures. But hey they don't pay enough taxes so the city doesn't care. They just pass penstroke legislation that doesn't do crap.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Wow, look how great getting rid of their gun control worked!
All those law-abiding gun lovers are stopping shootings right and left- or not.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

But it was so easy they just pass a bill and magic no more crime.

I wonder how those guys had guns maybe they didn't get the memo they are illegal. Maybe they need to be made double illegal.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Lol exactly how many neighborhoods in Chitown would you feel comfortable walking around defenseless?

It is a ruff place.

When the cops themselves are known as the biggest gang in town, the level of desperation must be staggering. Their Mayor is an elite scumbag who is probably the head of said gang at this point so can not really count on old Rahm for help.

If we really want to curb this trend of violence the answer is quite simple. Legalize drugs and put the money spent on the drug war into rehabilitation and development of urban development, as it stands the poor people stuck in certain neighborhoods literally have no options, just like the for profit prison industry likes it.

edit on America/ChicagoTuesdayAmerica/Chicago02America/Chicago229pmTuesday11 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

good post OP, important topic. I also find ironies in the fact that Chicago of all places is having this issue. Chi-town and Detroit seem to be the 2 best exampls I can think of, illustrating how even in this country we have civilian war-zones

it's quite sad..
edit on 2-2-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The Rahm Iamamule and Democratic style of government in action...get used to it

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
good link for stats in RahmTown....

HeyJackass

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
What's wrong with Chicago? I'd image it probably has to do with a large section of a voter base that they have used as political pawns for a few decades now and any real police action would have a negative public reaction and the result would be less support for certain candidates/political parties.

So they just ignore the problem and it has gotten so bad that the violence in the South Side of Chicago only garners a headline when 20+ people are shot/murdered in a weekend.

And just think, it isn't even summer yet.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Ridiculous assumption

All these shootings are by criminals.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

I am not near Chicago, is this really as simple as drugs?
I grew up near DC during the crack crisis in the 80's drug violence can be horrible.
How many have to die there before anything is done?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It's like the Wild West because basically there is no law enforcement - the no snitch rule is so strong you can shoot who ever you want and don't have to worry about the police.

Tighter gun control won't work and neither will more corrupt police.

Get rid of the corruption in Chicago politics and allow people who aren't a part of the good ol boys network a chance at a few jobs and you will see the crime rate drop - not that it will ever happen.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2
It's like the Wild West because basically there is no law enforcement - the no snitch rule is so strong you can shoot who ever you want and don't have to worry about the police.

Get rid of the corruption in Chicago politics and allow people who aren't a part of the good ol boys network a chance at a few jobs and you will see the crime rate drop - not that it will ever happen.

Not even double illegal?
How much more gun control could they do they are already illegal.

You have to clean up the cops. If you can't provide law enforcement you can't clean up the ghettos. Nobody is going to want to go in and set up infrastructure and businesses without protection. If you can't protect schools and jobs from being shot up no help will arrive.

It starts with the most basic thing which is not being shot walking around in those areas. Once you gain some kind of control you can start building the community. They may need a private police force or national guard to protect people trying to help restore the community.

But again they don't pay a lot in taxes so the ivory tower doesn't care much.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2

Absolutely, Daughter... there are spots on the map where the
cops won't even go until after everybody's sure to have bled
out and/or gone away, so they can mop up.
It's sad: I'm about 50 miles straight west of Wrigley Field: and
by the middle of the month, having moved almost 300 still won't
feel safe. It's never been about the guns, but the people.
Nobody wants to go near it, because there's still too much
money and power to be had over keeping the blood flowing.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: elementalgrove

I am not near Chicago, is this really as simple as drugs?
I grew up near DC during the crack crisis in the 80's drug violence can be horrible.
How many have to die there before anything is done?

I believe the core issue here is the Drug War.

It fuels the gangs both legal and illegal, if we were to eliminate the drug war, they would still have criminal enterprise's however it would be limited far more and the good LEO's could go after them with much greater efficiency. Things like prostitution, human trafficking and weapons are really all they would have left.

And As I said the amount of money that would be saved by ending the drug war could be used to implement programs to get people on the right track. Put that money into housing and development/education/rehab/healthcare.

There is so much that can be done, the sad truth is that profit margins are more important, our politicians are here to divide us not unite and place common sense above their bottom dollar.
edit on America/ChicagoWednesdayAmerica/Chicago02America/Chicago229amWednesday12 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Mostly gang related. I mean the city has a long history of gang violence. It will never change, it's just ingrained in their way of life. You can ban guns all you want.. they will still end up with high crime.

Big cities are cesspools of crime.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
traffic must be getting better everyday

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Yup - A perfect example of why gun control doesn't work - Chicago.
edit on 3-2-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
They should try and find some sort of anti gun crusading community organizer to tackle this problem
edit on 3-2-2016 by EightTF3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   
How about just investing some of the bloated drug war budget in the high crime areas......
They need access to education, safe housing and safer streets...and a host of other needs....
They need their dignity back.....
You can build them shelters or build them homes., and give them low interest mortgages........which do you think would give them their pride back....
Understand the trillions spent on foriegn adventures was your childrens inheritance as well as your own..............
No sane person could authorize the killings and destruction which we have wrought....
Ergo those in charge are insane...and we are used as enablers....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join