It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend a good Fantasy CRPG?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Hello there ATS gamers!

I've been looking for a good fantasy RPG. Can anyone make recommendations? I'm not really into the MMO scene. My favorites were always single player campaigns. I loved Neverwinter Nights I & II, Dragon Age:Origins and Skyrim. (In fact, I've still been messing with Skyrim but the game started crashing recently).

I took a flier on Pillars of Eternity but the whole micromanaging your whole party got old fast. I also picked up Dragon Age Inquisition but I found a lot of the animations were too childish. I guess this was getting spoiled by Skyrim? Anyway, I'm wondering if there's anything out there worthwhile or if something is coming up on the horizon.

Disclaimer: I know someone is going to say get a life or pick up a book. I have a life and I read more than I game. This is for those times in between when I like to sit back with a beer and do something mindless.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Have you tried Dark Souls? dark souls 3 is coming in april

link   
a reply to: RomaSempre

Divinity Original Sin is supposed to be a very good RPG

link   
If you like older games check out vagrant story, all the grandias are good too. Shadow run, you must play both the old shadow run for the genesis and the new one for PC
edit on 2-2-2016 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Dragon's dogma, because dragon slaying is cool.

Grim dawn. ARPG Diablo style.

edit on 2-2-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

It sound's like you have probably over modded skyrim for it to start crashing, I have done that myself and have 255 mod's active (which makes it incredibly unstable).

Now I would say try the fallout series but my real recommendation is to try the mass effect series, they are not really role playing and more on the rails but there are multiple choices with multiple outcome's and if you have all three of the games with there DLC's then one playes into the other as you progress through the story with mass effect 2 characters directly ported by the game to mass effect 3.

Also watch out for cyberpunk 2077 cyberpunk.net.../ this is going to be one hell of a RPG set in the steam punk universe, think deus ex but far better.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

None that aren't mentioned to suggest from me. You reminded me that I am having a hard time finding another JRPG for pc, ugh! I don't want to buy a Nintendo DS

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

The Witcher 3.

Absolutely superb.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Demon's Souls(ps3 only), Dark Souls, Bloodborne(ps4 only) These are more action w/ rpg elements but they are the best.

If you want a more old school jrpg feel, I'd recommend Phantasy Star IV, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire (3 is my favorite, but they're all pretty good) Those are just a couple.

Path of Exile is really good, free to play on Steam, and is more of a Diablo style game

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I started The Witcher series, but couldn't get into it. However a lot of people really swear by it.

I do like the Dragon Ages even with the silly animations they tend to have. The story in Inquisition and the world are enough for me to overlook their idea of animation.

If you can go sci-fi, the Mass Effect series is good. The combat in the first one takes getting used to. I recently decided to revisit the first one and I am experiencing extreme culture shock after 2 and 3 where they really cleaned up combat a LOT. But the stories are good (although I think 2 is really the weakest for that overall).

I have heard Divinity if good.

You might also try Jade Empire. Origin was offering it on the house not too long ago, but I don't know if they still are.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Fallout 4

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Only games I'm thorough with is
Gran Turismo and Call of Duty series.

Interested in the recommendations.

BTW....Any Gran Turismo people out here?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Witcher 3, hands down.

If that's not your cup of tea, Pillars of Eternity is pretty good, too.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse

"Ex" Gran Turismo.Was trying the S license kart race and realised I couldn't drive well enough.Gave up.😃

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomaSempre
Hello there ATS gamers!

I've been looking for a good fantasy RPG. Can anyone make recommendations? I'm not really into the MMO scene. My favorites were always single player campaigns. I loved Neverwinter Nights I & II, Dragon Age:Origins and Skyrim. (In fact, I've still been messing with Skyrim but the game started crashing recently).

I took a flier on Pillars of Eternity but the whole micromanaging your whole party got old fast. I also picked up Dragon Age Inquisition but I found a lot of the animations were too childish. I guess this was getting spoiled by Skyrim? Anyway, I'm wondering if there's anything out there worthwhile or if something is coming up on the horizon.

Disclaimer: I know someone is going to say get a life or pick up a book. I have a life and I read more than I game. This is for those times in between when I like to sit back with a beer and do something mindless.

If you don't mind simple ascii graphics there's a ton of free rogulelikes here Roguebasin they're dungeoncrawler/rpg type games that are usually pretty in depth.

Lately I've been playing adventure mode inDwarf Fortress a lot.

Features

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy game. You can control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated, persistent world.

Although Dwarf Fortress is still in a work in progress, many features have already been implemented.

The world is randomly generated with distinct civilizations spanning centuries of detailed history, hundreds of towns, caves and regions with various wildlife.
The world persists as long as you like, over many games, recording historical events and tracking changes.
Play an adventurer and explore, quest for glory or seek vengeance.
Meet adversaries from previous games.
Recruit people to come with you on your journey.
Explore without cumbersome plot restrictions -- thriving capitals, villages, catacombs, labyrinths, bandit camps, caves and more!
Seamlessly wander the world or travel more rapidly on the region map and in underground tunnels.
Travel by day and search for a place to shelter as night falls.
Listen to rumors and help out town and civilization leaders.
Earn a reputation as a hero, friend, soldier, enemy, thug, musician, etc. with the various civilizations in the world.
Retire and meet your old characters. Bring them along on an adventure with a new character or reactivate them and play directly.
Z coordinate allows you to move between twisting underground caverns and scale structures, fighting adversaries above and below. Climb, jump and sprint!
Stealth system with vision arcs which also respects vegetation density and other factors.
Use signs like shoe impressions and animal tracks to hunt and avoid danger.
Steal a mummy's treasure or learn the secrets of life and death at a necromancer's tower.
Visit your retired fortresses and ask your dwarves to join you on adventures.
The combat model includes skills, body parts, individual tissues, material properties, aimed attacks, wrestling, one-time opportunities, charging and dodging between squares, bleeding, pain, nausea, various poison effects and much more. Attacks and other movements extend over several instants, allowing you to deliberately catch enemy blows or plan your counter-attack.
Generated poetry, musical forms, instruments and dances. Watch the dwarves perform, or try it yourself!
Hundreds of animals and other monsters, including many that are randomly generated for each world.
Multi-tile climbable trees and many, many kinds of plants. Fruit, flowers and falling leaves.
A dynamic weather model tracks wind, humidity and air masses to create fronts, clouds, rain storms and blizzards.
Over two hundred rock and mineral types are incorporated into the world, placed in their proper geological environments.
Add new creatures, weapons, plants, metals and other objects via modifiable text files.
Extended ASCII character set rendered in 16 colors (including black) as well as 8 background colors (including black).

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Zork.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Look up Doom and Destiny, and Doom and Destiny Advanced. They are old school style turn based rpg's like dragon warrior or earthbound, but they are new. Both games are very nerd/geek themed with lots of references. In D&D Advanced I can summon the flying spaghetti monster and Mayor McCheese for example. They are very good, fun games!

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

How about Lord of the rings Online?

Started playing a few months back, and im hooked on it now...

Venturing though middle earth is pretty wild if you're a fan of the series.

Its an MMO, older too... very much like WOW, except in middle earth... but its free to play, and you can actually get the whole game free but it would take a hell of a lot of grinding

And the best part is after all these years, the game still isn't finished... Thus far we've made it to Rohan, and Minas Tirith... so theres a lot more to come

Check it out... its worth a look... especially if you have a decent cpu... the high rez version is really good

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter
a reply to: RoadCourse

"Ex" Gran Turismo.Was trying the S license kart race and realised I couldn't drive well enough.Gave up.😃

Want me to handle it for you?

I've read a lot of articles/reviews through the years, and that is the most common reason for turning away. Too technical.
I guess it takes a special breed for the race sims.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Borderlands 2 is so much fun!

When you think murder, think marcus munitions!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join