It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Learning' Robot: Korean engineers unveil humanoid machine capable of 'thinking'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Korean engineers have invented a robot that they claim can learn and interact with its environment based on past experiences. The small, humanoid robot is controlled by a separate computer through a wirless link (its always having out of body experiences
). Beyond the questions this brings up regarding human nature and the nature of intelligence... I also can't help but wonder if this is the first step towards droid armies like those seen in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace:

www.chinadaily.com.cn...

"South Korean scientists said they had developed the world's smartest robot able to think and learn like a human.
"Unveiling their creation, they said the robot that looks like a small teenager wearing a blue and grey space suit was the first wireless network-based human-like robot.
"It can become wiser through learning because unlike other robots, the device is linked with an outside computer through a high-speed wireless telecom network, and is able to exchange information with the server and respond quickly to real-life environments."

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
A.I is far from humans some learning robots have been made like MIT's Cog. This is still very interesting I love the idea of having the brains in a seperate computer this could come in very handy but if the connection is broken your robot is brainless.
Which could be bad

Even the creator is saying the body is not up to ASIMOs standards with Asimo now starting to run thats not a big deal since its pretty much the best in the world.

"Its creators say the new robot's ability to move and walk lags behind that of the ASIMO developed by Honda of Japan"

Whats up with the Asian countries and humanoid robots they cant wait for those mechs in their anime to become real

[edit on 8-1-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Yeah, I personally doubt that this thing is capable of 'thinking' or 'learning' like a human (because such a function would require some degree of sentience/self-awareness that could, in turn, consciously affect learning/cognition... and I have yet to see proof of a sentient machine), but it seems like it is at least capable of mimicking human learning (in that it can react to situations based on data collected in the past, even if zero real consciousness is involved). So, though this isn't exactly what it is advertised as being, it's still pretty interesting. Though it lacks emotion or self-awareness... it is (or at least it is billed as) a machine that can adapt to an environment.

And, again, just think about a bigger, more agile version tied into a bank of central computers. The field soldiers of the future?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
They might be planning a less honorable future for the ASIMO type robots then looking after the elderly.

I think robot bodies are pretty much were they need to be for some impressive stuff, its just the Robot brains are lagging behind.

top topics

join