It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You could Transfer Your Conscious Mind to a Human Like Android would You ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Maybe not today but in the future robotics and artificieal intelligence will create robots with greater and greater capability - One day these
robots will appear very close to Human in appearance and function - And it is in the realm of the possible that a 'Data' [from Star Trek] Human type of Android will be real. Now let us say when that day happens we will have learned enough about Human consciousness so as to be able
to download it into a machine - And even further we will be able to upload it into a Human likd Android. The Android will be stronger
and longer lasting [possibly almost immortal] with fully replaceable parts though the conscious mind transferred to it might have limitations
as to its durability and length of useful functioning [maybe a 100 years, maybe a few hundred years] you would still not live forever.
But while in the android state you would not age, not get sick - As long as your mind was functioning well - Your wellness could be
maintained at peak efficiency.

Now the question is could you see yourself in this type of existent state

Would you be willing to give up your biological body for a longer lasting more efficient android

edit on 24-1-2016 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Sure.
No more having to wipe your butt, no more aches.

But I think nanotechnology body modification will be the likely path we end up taking.

But I'm cool with being RoboCop too.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Only if I could have rocket boosters like Iron Man and a never ending supply of energy so I could leave this planet and explore space

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I sure would if I had a choice as to the appearance of the android body I would do it.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I definitely would.
That would be so cool.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I could imagine this type of thing being useful for people with severe disabilities. Imagine a whole new working body. I might be tempted myself so I could get rid of my back pain. Don't know if I would go the whole way though because if they had the technology to do that, surely they would have the technology to just fix my back.
I might go for it in a few years though.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

No. Not to be contrary, I'll try to explain.

the human mind, thought, consciousness, is just as fragile as the biological housing that it sits in.

To place the mind into something else would change it irrevocably. It might destroy, decay, alter it in some way that would make it as alien as anything from another planet.

Man wasn't meant to live forever.

That's my reasoning anyway. Not trying to be difficult.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

To feel pain, love, sorrow, joy, etc. Is a large part of the human experience. I would not do this. I want all my original parts in my weakening body, including my mind. For in this body also resides my soul. Do robots have souls?

Nah, I'll stay how I am.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Yes I agree. I was trying to see it from a purely practical angle. I think anyone in their right mind would fear the loss of parts of themselves we would term as human emotions.
Would the android be aware of this loss?
If I was trapped in a non working body and couldnt do anything but think and feel, I might see it as a trade off.
Not something you would do lightly.
Ask Phillip K.Dick.
Cheers.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
If this idea of an android is so human like, why bother?

We're already human like.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

They are already working on this and is sponsored by several billionaires. I believe Google had some projects as well leading to this.

2045.com...

edit on 09131America/ChicagoSun, 24 Jan 2016 09:09:53 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Replacement vehicle? Maybe one day everyone will be doing it. Just like getting a new car. It all depends on how perfect the transfer is though. If there was no change in personal awareness, like changing your shirt, it would be OK I suppose.
My next concern would be this...if the human mind isn't ready to die when the body is, and you had the tech to change that. How long would you want to live?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

To feel pain, love, sorrow, joy, etc. Is a large part of the human experience. I would not do this. I want all my original parts in my weakening body, including my mind. For in this body also resides my soul. Do robots have souls?

Nah, I'll stay how I am.

I feel the same way. I'll just be me till I leave this world, then I'll be a new me anyways

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

As the OP stated the goal would be virtual immorality. Some responders here tend to skip over the full meaning of "human consciousness" that the OP clearly stated would be in the artificial unit. That leaves us to only wonder about where that leaves a sexual climax in the grand scheme.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

My next concern would be this...if the human mind isn't ready to die when the body is, and you had the tech to change that. How long would you want to live?

My circumventing answer is we already live forever. Our soul is eternal.

As far as physical form, this body, this 'husk' is a cage, old people know its useless to live any longer trapped in this decaying shell.

Everyone is going to (pass). it'll be okay, everyone does that.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

That's why I mentioned the transfer method. If it really was as easy as changing clothes I could see some people going for it.
Can mine have an off switch though?
When my mind is all full up and I'm tired of the world, I think a perfect body might eventually become a curse.
What if you had a breakdown and went on a rampage in your new unstoppable body?
I'll leave the sex question for someone better qualified.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

As the OP stated the goal would be virtual immorality. Some responders here tend to skip over the full meaning of "human consciousness" that the OP clearly stated would be in the artificial unit. That leaves us to only wonder about where that leaves a sexual climax in the grand scheme.

Is there sex in the after life? Sure why not? Some ghosts I've seen appear as human as humans. I think it will be all the good stuff without al the negative secretions the body produces here.

Blood, puss, snot, #, piss, B.O. etc.

'Feelings' are accompanied by glandular secretions into the blood.

After death, just pure love, joy, etc.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I've probably got the quote all wrong but wasn't it Dracula who said..."To die, to be truly dead. That must be glorious".?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView

Would you be willing to give up your biological body for a longer lasting more efficient android

Yes.

Just watched "Chappie" today, in which someone did exactly that. I suspect that is the next stage of evolution for our collective consciousness.... just like in the movie "A. I." , at the end, where biological bodies no longer exist.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I'd certainly do it....

BUT;

Is it really your consciousness that is being transferred?How would you even know?

If your original you is still alive and acting normally,all you've done is uploaded a copy of yourself.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join