It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America Needs A Third Major Political Party----How About The Independent Moderate Party

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

The important thing is that whatever we call a third party, it must represent a combination of the best positions that the two major parties have to offer in one really coherent platform that eliminates the confusion caused by false perceptions arising from misleading political labels.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: kendix1960
a reply to: Irishhaf

The important thing is that whatever we call a third party, it must represent a combination of the best positions that the two major parties have to offer in one really coherent platform that eliminates the confusion caused by false perceptions arising from misleading political labels.

Isn't what you describe, the Libertarians. I worked for Gov, Gary in 2012 but somehow I got the feeling that they didn't really take themselves seriously. There was an incredible amount of drinking and ..... partying.
edit on 24-1-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

No! What I have in mind is a far cry from the Libertarian point of view. That perspective is led by Rand Paul. It is unrealistic and far too isolationist for today's dangerous world as seen on the international stage.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: kendix1960
How about "The Fence Sitters Party" that about sums up this proposed party.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

I think not, sir! Moderates can and should have centrist policies that are both proactive as well as progressive, and at the same time stress a strong national defense with a realistic, (not isolationist), foreign policy. Due consideration should also be given to maintaining our social security and entitlement programs and to protecting our senior citizens. Likewise such a party would strive to continue providing aid and comfort to those of us who are disabled and infirm.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You're correct, Olaru. Truth is a many sided prism! It usually comes down to which side of that prism one is viewing the truth from. Your vision of what the truth may be is just as valid as mine or anyone's.

As for myself, I do my best to come from the center, resist labels, and try to see other points of view so as to remain flexible. I try to never see things as either strictly right wing or left wing.

That is why I'd like to see an Independent Centrist Party one day in America.
edit on 24-3-2016 by kendix1960 because: Punctuation error corrected

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12:

This blog is about a possible Independent Moderate Party one day becoming part of our political landscape. Since polls do show Gov. Kasich of Ohio the likely candidate to defeat Hillary Clinton in November because he is very popular with both democrats and independents, in addition to moderate republicans, it would be logical to to expect that his election to the Presidency would really be the election of an "Independent Moderate" centrist after all.

The above would be a great step in the right direction for our country.!

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

From an outsiders point of view wouldn't a genuinely Independent Moderate Party be slightly more left wing than both of your major political parties both of which tend to be viewed as right of centre by most outside of the USA?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I see an Independent Moderate party ideally to be neither right wing or left wing, but having a centrist viewpoint and consisting of the best elements of the two current major political parties.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I understand that my friend, but my point is that both major US political parties are viewed as right of centre by most outside of the US.

If there was a genuinely independent and moderate political party in the US then most non-US observers would expect that by using those two terms in their official party name that they would support policies that were actually to the left of both The Republican and Democratic parties.

What you propose in just another rightist leaning party, just not as much as the GOP and slightly more so than the Democrats.

I don't mean this as a criticism in any way, shape or form - simply an observation from an outsiders perspective. (An outsider who readily admits he is no expert on US politics just someone who tries to keep abreast of things more than some.)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I quite understand what you are saying, Freeborn, and I do agree with you to an extent. But that is what needs to be corrected and why I'd truly like to see labels such as liberal left and conservative right removed from the discourse. Then we can hopefully get down to a candidate who can express views that have, for a long while, been exclusively identified with one of our two major political parties or the other. We need more clarity in politics and thus less labeling and confusion.The voters would be the beneficiaries IMO.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I can't really speak for the USA but its my honest opinion that party politics has outlived its fit for purpose.

Who agrees with all the policies of any one political party?

I sure as hell don't.

I have no desire to derail your thread but two of the biggest threats we face is the presence and influence of lobbyists as well as the ridiculously huge amounts of money required to run for any sort of office in the USA.
The wishes and best interests of the 'ordinary' folk simply get swamped and forgotten in the rush for a place at the trough.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I've said this before in other threads, but it's inevitable that the Republican party will split after losing in November.

The data shows that the public is becoming more liberal, they're fed up with the religious, the gun-toting, the extremism of the Conservative Tea Party nuts.

The Republican party absolutely cannot survive after the fiasco of Trump. It's solidified the extreme right, proven the Tea Party to be the radical cancer at the core.

When you have so many Republicans saying Trump is unacceptable, you have a major problem.

The only solution is a third party.
The US will end up with a three-party system of the Democrats, Conservatives (focusing on security and fiscal conservatism) and a far-right party made up of the Tea Party and Trump supporters.

This would actually be a great result for the liberals too. It would mean the power of the Republican Conservative base would be split between the mainstream centre-right and the far-right. The dems would theoretically be in the lead for a long time to come, until the centre-right party gains support and traction.

The only people to blame for this are the Conservatives who have refused to evolve to meet the demands of the American public. Society evolves all the time, political parties ABSOLUTELY HAVE to follow that evolution closely and provide the representation the public is looking for. The Republican party has failed abysmally in keeping up with societal changes in attitudes and they are now too far gone to be able to recover that ground without a massive shift away from the far-right radicals, the religious preachers, the gun nuts and the Trump characters.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

There is way too much lobbying and corruption in our political system. I see it all the time. Steps must be taken to rid the country of this kind of graft and dirty dealing before people will be able to take the candidates seriously regardless of what party nominated them. I'm certainly with you on that issue, my friend!

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I also feel that the Republican Party will split after Trump is defeated by Hillary Clinton in a landslide in November. But if a third party does emerge thereafter, I advocate that it be an independent moderate party where its candidate can govern from the center as distinguished from either the right or the left.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013:

We actually already have a candidate presently running for President who would surely qualify as a member of the Independent Moderate Party were such a third party to exist today. His qualities include elements of both Democrat and Republican platforms with no need to rely on labels in order to define his position on the issues.

I believe Governor Kasich to be the best qualified candidate running for President today, and the only one polls consistently show can defeat the lying Hillary Clinton in November given his ability to eat heavily into Mrs. Clinton's electoral base at a time when millions of Democratic Party voters would like to turn to someone with a sound and genuine moral compass.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Calling for a third party. Alrighty, Hillary for sure, but I hope Bernie is our next president.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Muse7:

One major reason the Republican Party will choose a compromise candidate at the July convention if Trump and Cruz fail to reach majority in the remaining primaries is so that the R.N.C. can avoid seeing a fracturing of the party resulting from a huge electoral college defeat in the general election. That choice, if it were to be Jonn Kasich, would in many ways create an independent moderate party informally given the governor's centrist moderate position on the major issues.

And Kasich is the one Republican candidate in the race who can beat Hillary Clinton.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join