It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God save the Queen to be removed from national anthem??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I love the idea.

Not because of other countries feeling uncomfortable singing the words, but because for 2016 I feel it is disgustingly presumptuous that everyone believes in god, when clearly (especially in this day and age) a lot of people don't.

I would feel a lot more pride about my national anthem if it removed the word God. I'm not so bothered about the word Queen, although I am definitely not a 'royalist'

So what do my fellow English men/women feel?

Obviously if you are religious or a royalist you will disagree, and I wholeheartedly respect that and won't tell you you're wrong, each to their own.

m.bbc.co.uk...

Thanks
edit on 13/1/16 by OpenEars123 because: Forgot linky

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: OpenEars123

I vote yes! Remove god!

Religion has no place in the government. Keep it private.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

I vote yes! Remove god!

I couldn't agree more

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It's been done out of compassion I believe, it would be cruel to keep on praying to god that an elderly woman should have to go on living, just because it's a lyric in a song. She's getting on and will get old and die. It would be cruel to keep anyone living beyond their turn to die, she's had a great innings and I'm sure she will live much longer, but no one wants to go on indefinitely. So to ask God to create that is a bit selfish?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The more secular we become the more deprived we become.

The queen is the head of the Church of England so I think the line God save the Queen is very much suited.

But I also thank the Lord I am Scottish so get to sing out loud the flower of Scotland rather than praise the roysls

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
For decades now, the stands at England football games have been ringing to the sound of "God save our team".
Do you want to stop that as well?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I vote yes! Remove god!

Not really sure that this is anything to do with government, and as the queen is the head of the Church of England, it would be hard to separate the two anyway.

But I digress. A labour MP tabled the question not for anything to do with religion (seeing as he is suggesting Jerusalem that would be ironic), nor for anything to do with Monarchy, but because he believes it's a song that represents the British Isles as a whole, not England, whereas the other home nations have their own anthems for sporting occasions.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI yet it's one of the only national anthems that doesn't mention the country once.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
It's been done out of compassion I believe, it would be cruel to keep on praying to god that an elderly woman should have to go on living, just because it's a lyric in a song. She's getting on and will get old and die. It would be cruel to keep anyone living beyond their turn to die, she's had a great innings and I'm sure she will live much longer, but no one wants to go on indefinitely. So to ask God to create that is a bit selfish?

I never looked at it from that angle, so therefore I would have to agree with you.

But I don't think the sentence is referring to immortality, it's more towards almost worshipping the reining monarch.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I vote yes! Remove god!

I don't think any of you need be concerned about this at all.

I don't think you will find the God that you are likely referring to, anywhere near your government, or the government in any other country, for that matter.

I think they all have been very successful in making all governments God free zones.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
For decades now, the stands at England football games have been ringing to the sound of "God save our team".

Of course not! I MUCH prefer that, just remove the word God. Not everyone believes any more you know? It's 2016 and religion is on its way out (excluding Muslims) but that's a whole nother thread.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
The more secular we become the more deprived we become.

~ Secular Societies Fare Better Than Religious Societies

~ Wealthier nations tend to be less religious

~ Happiest Countries are the Least Religious

The facts say otherwise

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr
That's just our egocentricity, isn't it?
It says "us", which must mean the only country in the world. Just like we are still the only country, I believe, which doesn't name itself on stamps.

Any ambiguity can be removed by singing the verse about crushing the rebellious Scots.

edit on 13-1-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenEars123

originally posted by: DISRAELI

Of course not! I MUCH prefer that, just remove the word God. Not everyone believes any more you know? It's 2016 and religion is on its way out (excluding Muslims) but that's a whole nother thread.

It is indeed and it's right here!

Link

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I believe that a strong faith is important to living a full and happy life, if you disagree then fair enough I am only expressing my opinion.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I believe that a strong faith is important to living a full and happy life, if you disagree then fair enough I am only expressing my opinion.

That's fine, you have your opinion, and perhaps to you at an individual level your claim is true.

However, I didn't express opinion, I showed the facts, and the facts clearly show that a full and happy life does not require a god

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I am both religious, and somewhat of a royalist, so naturally I oppose ANY change to our national anthem of any kind, for any reason, either now, or in the future.

However, I know plenty of atheists who would not want to see the anthem changed, because they see no reason to inflict their views on others, or change traditions by the doing of it. This is, in fact, what marks them out from many other groups and organisations, religious or otherwise. One might suggest, that an atheist who is trying to change the world they live in to fit their beliefs, has missed the point of atheism entirely.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

That's fine, you have your opinion, and perhaps to you at an individual level your claim is true.

However, I didn't express opinion, I showed the facts, and the facts clearly show that a full and happy life does not require a god

Well not really I am sure I could go off and find studies proving a link to happier lives and religion on a much more individual level. It's not quite as simple as saying here are two links your opinion is wrong.

But that is all of topic

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Well not really I am sure I could go off and find studies proving a link to happier lives and religion on a much more individual level. It's not quite as simple as saying here are two links your opinion is wrong.

But that is all of topic

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I can actually agree with both of you. Yes having faith 'can' give you a happy and full life, if you believe it. Let's not forget it's a blind faith though.

And ghost you're right, facts do not lie.

Good posts, let's keep it nice like this, we all know what happens when ATS debates religion. This is about our national anthem, not about the existence of a god.
Thanks

Damn I've got to go out, will be back in a while. Play nicely

edit on 13/1/16 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join