It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 days into new year, more than 100 people shot in Chicago

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
One of the best decisions I've made recently, was when I decided to move myself away from Chicago (I live in Seattle now). Unfortunately, I still have my whole family back home in/around Chicago, and I can't help but pay attention to the news going on in the city. To no one's surprise, I'm sure, the city of Chicago has already had over 100 people shot this year, with 19 being fatal, An uptick from last years numbers, which showed 31 people shot and 9 killed (by January 10th)...

So, I ask, when is enough going to be enough? Why is no change coming here? The violence is getting worse, not better, and it seems the politicians in this city aren't doing anything about it....

How do you fix a problem/situation that is so far gone? Think about it, in this single city, over 100 people have been shot since it turned to 2016, with 19 of those gun shot victims dying... The figures are just crazy to me, and I know they shouldn't be, seeing as I'm from the area and was raised around this type of violence, but still, I can't help but SMH at stories like this, and the lack of change we see in these areas... Just sad.. Disturbing...

Seven people were shot to death and 30 more were wounded across Chicago over the weekend, raising the number of shootings in the city to more than 100 in just over a week into the new year, according to police.

The fatal shootings included two teens killed by a store clerk during a robbery in the Gresham neighborhood on the South Side, and one of three people shot at a party four blocks from Mayor Rahm Emanuel's home.

As of Monday morning, at least 19 people have been killed in gun violence in Chicago this year and at least 101 more have been wounded. This time last year, nine people had been killed and another 31 wounded, according to statistics kept by the Chicago Tribune.

Chicago Tribune

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

More guns!

That'll solve the issue... or so a lot of US citizens on ATS try to tell me.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
well when your president trys to change it but faces a backlash saying hes trying to deny everyones second admendment what do you expect,only banning guns or bringing in seriously tight controls are going to change it but do you really see that going to happen?

when you allow everyone to be armed then thats whats going to happen,its just a fact.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

edit on thMon, 11 Jan 2016 16:27:05 -0600America/Chicago120160580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Why doesn't Chicago enact more strict gun laws? By doing this, it will make it more difficult for criminals to get their hands on guns..... right?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

so what is your thoughts to stop gang violence?

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

More guns!

That'll solve the issue... or so a lot of US citizens on ATS try to tell me.

Less legal guns sure seems to be working Chicago, doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The Mayor is forming a "crisis assessment" committee.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

All guns that are purchased (privately or otherwise) should be registered to the person purchasing the gun(s), that would at least put an end to straw purchasing.

But Obama has already stated that it isn't even a possibility, to have those kind of commonsense regulations in the current environment, so its kind of a irreverent point, isn't it?

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm sure all the shooters passed background checks before buying their guns.

They sure don't seem to mind breaking laws against murder but they would not dare break a law while obtaining a gun.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Police tend to not want to deal with gang violence. After all, those bad guys are armed.

Funny how gang violence does not come up much as a problem much in the gun control debate. I don't think anyone wants to take on that beast.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

how do you register blackmarket guns?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Funny how gang violence does not come up much as a problem much in the gun control debate. I don't think anyone wants to take on that beast.

Why would they? I mean, its political suicide just to bring up the issue of gun show loopholes... Its literally a political mud pit.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I wonder how many of the perps religiously vote Democrat.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Calmly walk into the police station and ask "Hey, I bought this gun from some guy in a van downtown, how do I register it?".

PS- I actually have no idea how one registers a gun.
edit on 11-1-2016 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If only Chicago had strict gun laws

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Why would they? I mean, its political suicide just to bring up the issue of gun show loopholes... Its literally a political mud pit.

Has Obama ever brought it up in his "talks" on guns?

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

There needs to be a law against shooting people.

Because if we have a law that makes shooting people illegal, then no one will shoot people any more.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Police tend to not want to deal with gang violence. After all, those bad guys are armed.

It's because gun control only effects those legally buying guns so criminals who aren't going to obey laws anyway don't fit the narrative of those pushing it. Chicago being a great example

edit on 11-1-2016 by EightTF3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Has Obama ever brought it up in his "talks" on guns?

Yes he has... you'd know that if you actually watched he's talk on gun regulations the other day on CNN.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join