It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern Ontario bridge fails in cold, severing Trans-Canada Highway

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

A newly constructed bridge in northern Ontario has reportedly split apart in the cold, closing the Trans-Canada highway — the only road connecting Eastern and Western Canada — indefinitely.

The Nipigon River Bridge has been closed for "an indefinite time due to mechanical issues," according to the Ontario Provincial Police. Local reports suggest an expansion joint has failed.

Northern Ontario bridge fails in cold, severing Trans-Canada Highway

Well guess this is one way off dividing Canada in Haft

Wow Just open this summer and they just finish taking the old one down

www.cbc.ca...

This what it will look like when both East and West side are done

This is in - 15 C to - 20 C weather hate to see what happen when it get colder around - 40 C to - 50 C
always said that was Canada worst spot for something to happen as in this case weather or man made KaBoon

Greenstone declares state of Emergency to help traveler
edit on 10-1-2016 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Trillium

What a mess! They really should have at least two ways across, in Canada.
I've been hearing the only way to cross is via the US. There's a lot of Cdns that aren't allowed in the states. Truck drivers too....

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Not surprising, when contracts go to firms "donating" to the Ontario Liberals....

edit on 10-1-2016 by _BoneZ_ because: Removed excessive quote. Please do not quote the entire OP

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

This is a BIG wow for the trucking Industry .Glad I dont drive any-more but still have some old friends that do . The time frame on this will go into a emergency status I would think .

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

It was probably a old Harper federal project seeing it is the TCH .

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If the area is anything similar to the upper regions in the US, there will be places you can simply drive across on the ice.

They will find a way.

How much traffic does this bridge encounter?
edit on 10-1-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
That's really the only roadway connecting east/west Canada?

There have to be some "little county road" types somewhere right? To have only one road is, well... Ignorant?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Its the Trans Canada Hwy and had a ton of traffic . cars and trucks ...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

Look at a map and you will understand .To the south is Lake Superior and to the north is rivers and more lakes . www.google.ca...@49.0203589,-88.2496775,16z

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

A 'newly constructed bridge'? "Holy carumba Batman!" Thought Canadians knew how to engineer for the cold - was the job off-shored to a tropical country?

Honestly - it's horrific in so many ways.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
That's really the only roadway connecting east/west Canada?

There have to be some "little county road" types somewhere right? To have only one road is, well... Ignorant?

Saw on FaceBook a detail list of back road to take but it be iffy to do in the summer never mine
doing 250 to 300 Km of unplowed back road would take 2 to 3 day's just to plow it and cut all
the tree fall away LOL

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Two or three days to get that cleared is better than waiting until Spring (probably at least May, really) to get the bridge opened up. Depending on the rerouting, it might take some trucks to do that just on their own.

Looks like the next best way around is through the Upper Peninsula via US 2, up to Duluth and hop on US 53 to Fort Francis and into Canada there. That's a hefty detour.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Don't know about you guy's but something else not right about the look off this bridge

Just me or not very straight

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Ashley Littlefield, who lives in nearby Dorion, Ont., witnessed the failure Sunday afternoon as she was driving with her husband.

"As we turned onto the highway, we saw the whole bridge — a kind of big gust of wind came underneath it and blew it up and then it came back down," she said, adding it shifted by about half a metre.

www.cbc.ca...

Weird...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Looking at the map I see what you are talking about.

I'm obviously no expert but there's gotta be a way to add in some sort of detour in case an event like this occurs. Easier said than done and all that, but there should always be a backup to any route, be it highways or hiking trails.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Yes I definitely see the problem with the back road idea as I work doing snow and if need be, tree removal from my area during winter.

But shouldn't there be a designated route they can throw into emergency detour status and get cleared ASAP? Use local as well as government snow/debris removal teams to clear the way? I'm not familiar with the immediate areas but there must be at least one or two little village/towns that could really hurt if they don't get certain deliveries on time. I know it sounds a bit extreme, but when you only have one major roadway, ya gotta take precautions. IMHO of course!!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
www.theweathernetwork.com...

Bridges are much more susceptible to temperature fluctuation because cold air travels both above and below the bridge, The Weather Network meteorologists explain. Under extremely cold conditions the bridge is more susceptible to contract, adding strain to the overall structural integrity of the bridge. While this does not entirely explain what exactly caused the Nipigon bridge to split, this could be a contributing factor.

If this had anything at all to do with the cold, they better hire bridge builders from Manitoba or Saskatchewan next time...
I heard it was only -28C, that's not extreme.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Soooo....made in China? LOL

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Built by murcans

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

The suspension is canted outwards for support. It's a cable-stayed bridge design that has become pretty popular over the last fifteen years or so due to it's aesthetic appeal and ease of construction. They're typically best for spans too long for cantilever bridges and too short for a true suspension bridge.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join