It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Work For Food

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Everyone has seen it.
Some people give.

I always size the person up first.

If they are missing limbs, blind in one or both eyes, dont push lame sob stories, yes I offer a dollar or two. Maybe even a McMuffin and hot coffee if it is cold.

But I have become very good at finding the losers that are just bums or drunks. I avoid them.

I cant help everyone that stands on a corner. But if it is obvious the person is disabled, or truly a desperate vet, or someone obviously in dire need, then I willingly give a little.

Do you?

(This isnt a guilt thread. I just wonder your positions on this subject)
edit on 10-1-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
smirkley

Everyday I work for food...but my goals are higher than that so I work more to support everything else I want in life. Those that pan handle with signs saying they will "work" for "food" is a total lie...and some of these actually have good coin in their pockets but don't really want to do real work.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: smirkley
Always. And it reminds me of this recently posted on facebook, and posted by someone who is on ATS also.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I have, actually. One time I saw an old guy in the parking lot of a free clinic late at night. He was in a wheel chair. I was at work at the time, driving, and not supposed to stop but screw it. It's a bad part of town and I can't just go past if someone needs help. So, I stopped. He was waiting for a ride. The guy was a vet and had gotten the crap pounded out of him not long before by a couple thugs. I remembered it from the news. I stayed with him until I was sure he was going to be okay. He said cops kept checking on him for the same thing. I gave him money I couldn't afford to lose and left.
ETA: He didn't ask for the money. He'd mentioned in passing while we were talking about other things that he was in need. He was surprised I gave it to him. The smile on his face made me night.
edit on 10-1-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reldra

Always. And it reminds me of this recently posted on facebook, and posted by someone who is on ATS also.

For all we know the man who received a fish from a fisher will trade that fish in for something useless like booze or drugs and ends back at the dock where he/she received the fish. The cycle repeats itself.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
reldra

For all we know the man who received a fish from a fisher will trade that fish in for something useless like booze or drugs and ends back at the dock where he/she received the fish. The cycle repeats itself.

Or they might eat the fish. I am not sure why this has to be over thought.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This is a very tough situation. I try to be a giving person to an extent. I look at it this way, if you gave everybody a dollar who needed it, then you won't have any left for yourself.

I try to take pitty on some bums, but I see the same people begging for 4+ years straight. You can tell they are drunk, and don't really care to work.. so I try to avoid those people.

Just today I gave a guy a ride up the street and gave him a couple smokes and he was very appreciative, which made me feel good. But on the other hand, somebody else will come along and just want money but not do anything to earn it.

I don't know about other people, but I always have an internal battle with myself when I see somebody begging. Either I help them, or I don't, but I feel bad either way.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
nope.
not once

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I avoid the teams that canvas the exit ramps on all 4 corners.

I avoid the ones that most certainly can do day labor at minimum.

I avoid the ones that have drawn out conveluted stories of woe.

But this one man, older in a weelchair and no legs, sitting under a tree in a parking lot near Macs in any kind of weather gets me everytime. A small sign asks help a vet in need.

He isnt getting a decent job anytime soon. I dont care if he gets drugs or alcohol with the pittance I give him. A sandwich will not change his outlook. Nor will a cheap bottle of booze. What he does after he wheels himself to whatever he calls home is not my business.

And he is very thankful everytime.

One of the few that crack open my heart.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I usually try and get them water or food first.

Those that deny that, which is very rare, I may give money to based on their reaction or reason to deny.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Sometimes it sours you a bit when you give and then see a scammer.

I had a guy approach me at a convenience store a few weeks ago. He explained that he needed to get somewhere and had ran out of gas and didn't have his wallet. I gave him the spare change that I had in the console of my car, it is a cupholder and I would guess it was 4 or 5 dollars.
A half hour later, I see him at another place of business. I watch him leave his car and approach several people, asking for money. He would get back into his car and wait for another person to pull in, then he would ask them for money.
He finally came over to my car and asked me for money again. He didn't remember me, I guess.
I told him to take a hike and that he ought to remember who gives him money.
He looked like he needed money for heroin.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
We help people out in our own ways
Usually not those that "beg" for money tho
(and no, can do without lectures or guilt trips)

Like the 2 young guys broke down at a truck stop in need of a hose, but didn't have enough on them.
We watched them when we got there and just before we left, my husband walked over and asked them what was wrong. They had some cash but not enough. So we gave them the xtra $15 needed to buy new hose.
But you could tell they were in a dire situation, not scammers

Once in a fast food joint (we travel due to work, so we make fast stops along the way)
We saw this lady with her stuff in two plastic bags.
As we were throwing our scraps away, she asked if she could have them.
Never once did she ask for money or free food.....but we bought her a lunch combo and the smile on her face made our day.

Now due to personal issues with trying to help someone out with a drinking issue in the past, there is no way in hell we will support giving someone money for booze/beer. EVER
Which is a waste of OUR hard earned money

But we help people in our own way when we can, if we have the xtra money on us
Yet it is not our place to give handouts to everyone we see standing on the street corner panhandling.

And after that investigative report we saw a few years back on how many do that as a means of hustling to make money, well we are hesitant now.

Some people need help, yes
But not all of them

edit on 10-1-2016 by snarky412 because: spweeeling

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I don't like to judge people immediately, but I can confirm that there are evil people in this world and no matter what you try to do, they will remain evil.

Just remember that evil exists, and there's not a lot we can do about it.

Meanwhile, you can reach more people than you think. Most people do not have any evil in them and are grateful for whatever they receive.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

That is a ploy I learned about a long time ago.
Labelled as loser undeserving.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I have actually approached people in the past with the "will work for" kind of sign. The wanted nothing to do with working when actually approached to do it. Not talking a tough job here, just raking leaves basically. So that didn't go so well.

I have also been left with a bad attitude about it from other things that pop up periodically in the news. A example, I lived in the Hollywood Florida when the exits of I95 were full of those guys on the corner. Turns out they were actually working. Working for a right to live in hovels for a very rich landlord that they gave the money too for that right to live in squalor. It was a big deal in the news back when it happened.

Keeping it short, I'm pretty sure we have all seen some sort of scam in the news when it comes to light. While I am a very giving person, it is really hard to separate the people that actually need the help from the bums. I don't like that I have lost that trust. It doesn't sit well with my soul.

So now, I keep my help to the circle I know. I help the innocents. I help animals and I help kids. I have helped teachers that I know dig into their own pockets to try and give their students something to work with. I never give money anymore. I take the money I would have given and outright buy what it is they need the help with. Food for the animals and kids, school supplies for the teachers. I will also help the elderly if I come across one in need of a helping hand.

As far as a handout on the corner, nope, those days are over for me. I need to know my help did exactly what it was suppose to do. Actually help.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
We have folks that canvass the local WalMart...

We also have folks that stand at the "island" of the local grocery store.

When there's women and children, I suppose I DO give more.

Am I being scammed? Maybe.
If I didn't have it to give already, I am sure that I wouldn't.

I lived in a car for awhile when I was younger...I hate for ANYONE to suffer! ANYONE!!!

I understand the drugs/alcohol concern BUT...

and this is a BIG BUT...

My father in law (RIP) was an alcoholic.
When I was younger and pregnant, he would scrounge up change and ask me to go to the store for him to get a 40 ounce of whatever...his hands were shaking and he had a "humbled" look on his face. He was ashamed and embarrassed. He just NEEDED his "fix"...

He HAD to have it...like I had to have dinner...

If an addiction is so strong, I don't feel (IMO) that me NOT giving them the money is helping or adding to that addiction.

NOW, with that said, I have had drug addicts come up to me, aggressively, wanting money or a ride or whatever. If you are savvy, you KNOW...I just say "I'm sorry I am not able to help you out", whatever it is that they need at that moment. NOT because I don't have compassion but, because I cannot put myself at risk for them at that moment...

My children need me....

edit on 10-1-2016 by TNMockingbird because: grammar

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I lived in a car for awhile when I was younger.

I've been there, too. It sucks. Even if I had an apartment I sometimes couldn't afford food after paying bills and starved a few times; skin and bones. I can't see letting anyone else end up like that even if I'm poor, too.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I know where you are coming from and agree with your post completely.

Been quite poor more than once. I never took any handouts though. And I never asked.

Teach a man to fish. Help someone learn how to make a buck. Offer a bite to someone hungry. Give some change to a person with no obvious outlook.

I can do that.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I like to give to hitch hikers. People who are on their way to hopefully a more fruitful place. Where I live the towns are an hour or so apart. During the ride we chat and if I get a sense of them making the move for a better life, I ask them if they can use some money to eat with along the way. Many say no, they are fine while others say, wow, it sure would help. So I dig out a ten or twenty to help them on their way.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

My Dad would drive by every day on his way for work.
He knew we were in the car park, where people park to commute...

He never stopped.

THIS is crazy but, my dog lived with me too...
couldn't find a job (too young).
We ate (on a good day) a bag of chips (split with two people AND a dog) and a soda pop.

It was so bad! I was so stupid!

Maybe, some of these folks just haven't got it together enough yet.
Have you ever talked to those people who just seem so young minded, so "unwise", so...I don't know...just inexperienced in the ways of the world???

Some of the people I see on the curbs, begging, seem like that.

I can't help but feel, sometimes, if it's a "test"...

No matter "who" or "what" you believe in...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join