It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning robot?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I just finished watching The Incredibles(I noe, cool movie
) and wad struck me most was not the animation, but the spherical "learning robot". I was wondering whether there is such a thing in this world. I tink alot of ppl will say AI is considered learning, but do these AI really learn?Like some compter games claim that "the AI will read your moves and will react and store it". I'm still sceptical of these learning robots cause if they did really learn, i tink they could come up with new theories and ideas and philosophies etc. already. What is the ATS members' say on this?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I haven't seen "The Incredibles" yet (I want to) but yes, there are robots that are capable of learning. The kicker is that they're mostly capable of learning only the simplest things (basically on the level of an insect... where "food" is and where solid objects are.) There's a robotics engineer who builds these robots -- can't think of his name but they're buglike creations and do a lot of interesting and intriguing things.

As I recall, another AI robot "learned" enough to escape from its lab in England and go rolling down the street (it was a small 'bot' and basically 'learned' to go through doors and get outside although there was no motivation to 'escape.' It simply went for the brightest light source.)

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Isnt Binary code the language computers use so wouldnt a robot have to learn that first?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Another question of learning robots i have is this:

Remember the big control AI in "I, ROBOT"(V.I.K.I, which controls all the robots)? she(or IT, depending on how you see it) figured out through logic that the best way to protect humans is to kill them all. So are present robots smart enough to think of such logic?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
well i,robot was a horrible movie.

i think that we should try to develope AI, but we should try to make sure that there is always away to stop it, always a failsafe.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
Isnt Binary code the language computers use so wouldnt a robot have to learn that first?

im sure the 1's and 0's are worked out by the curcuitry not the software the software interprets it but it would'nt be that hard to learn massive hhd though maybe it would have to reylie on servers?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Binary code is just one of the many different ways a computer can communicate.There's also hexadecimal, decimal, octagonal etc. I tink ASCII and unicode is also computer language, although a more complex form.I might be wrong though.

top topics

join