It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The older mind verses youth in media

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I came to a weird realization of sorts after dealing with the new star wars movie. As I watched the younger actors, and what to me seemed some of the worst acting of all time, I realized it wasn't just star wars. I've noticed that there's a whole generation of actors and actresses, that to me, just always seem really really bad at acting.

They can't win, I see them, and get disgusted. Every role feels like a bad skit from Saturday Night Life or Madtv. The more serious the role the more out of place they seem. Every movie with a younger actor seems to have the feeling of some bad teen television show.

Is it my age? Is this what happens to everybody? At 36 years old I don't feel that old. Why do I have such a bias against this generation of actors? Is it because they are unfamiliar? Am I just growing jaded and have a demand for better quality while seeing the actors I grew up with with nostalgic blinders on?

I've heard tell tale of this phenomena before. I know I'm not alone in experiencing this, so what are your theories about why this occurs? Why do we, like in that south park episode start seeing newer stuff with crap tainted glasses?
edit on 1/6/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Maybe because the movies today kinda suck.
You can't polish a turd.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'll be honest, I want to think that's it, because that's how I personally feel. But I also know there's a phenomenon where this generational gap is a regularly occurring perception.

How does one know when they're just older and jaded, or everything really does just suck.

Then again I have a problem, a lot of shows where the bulk of actors aren't of this weird youthful actors, I enjoy. So it's not necessarily all new movies and shows. It just feels like there's a large pool of youthful actors I do not like. I don't know why...

Is just this weird phenomenon to me, cause often it feels like such completely obvious bad acting, making characters I can't possibly take seriously, yet others just don't see it like I do. Meanwhile I can't fathom how it can't be seen as the crap it is.

Am I just overly critical of today's youthful actors? Even that doesn't feel right, I mean I see some that do just fine.

Color me confused.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I am around your age and I do not feel that way. I look back at some of the movies/shows from when I was younger and many of them suck just as bad as some of the newer material.

There are plenty of talented actors/actresses and writers out there. I actually think due to the wide spread availability of cable, and now the internet, that the we are able to see some truly great programs.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Like I said there's lots of shows I like I see today, but they seem aimed at a more mature audience. I feel like... there's a large pool of young actors in this generation that whenever given a role in a movie or show instantly bring down the quality of it. I don't know their names, but there's lots of them. Their acting just feels lacking. But I've seen others watching the same people, just not seeing it. I love lots of shows, but there's a large pool of actors I can't stand.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

To be fair (and i probably get more flames for this then in the Ukraine forum

Star Wars already sucked back then. Trekkie here...

In the movies nowadays i miss good story lines.
And all these comic Movies (spideyman, superman, avengers,....) they just suck.

Except of course The Batman trilogy.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I don't think that talent has simply left cinema, but rather, production companies want to pump out as much content as possible, as quickly as possible, and generally as cheaply as possible.

There are plenty of insanely talented young actors out there. For the new star wars, I didn't find the acting to be as horrendous as you did, however, it wasn't flawless either. Ironically (in reference of this thread) the worst performance was from one of the oldest cast members (Harrison Ford).

It's hard to deny that talent is simply gone when you look at the stunning film-history of young actors like:

Chloë Grace Moretz (18 years old)
www.imdb.com...

Dakota Fanning (21 Years old)
www.imdb.com...

And of course, Robert Pattinson (29 years old) in twilight
www.imdb.com...

Just kidding about the last one

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

I dunno I loved Guardians of the Galaxy... might be because I loved the music choices though...

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Give me an example of something back in the day that you thought was great for comparison.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: svetlana84

Cause Star Trek: The Motion Picture was the Citizen Kane of outer space.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I've become the same way, though I'm only 26, so I don't think it's age just disillusionment. I can't help but think "this is fake" while watching a movie or TV show regardless of what it is. I rarely watch movies or TV anymore because of this, plus I think most movies and TV shows nowadays are really bad compared to older ones. Maybe it's just me though.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Youthful actors you don't like?

Now that might have to do something with age or rather time:

There are hundreds of new actors in Hollywood each year. Some of them succesful, some of them not.

With time the bad ones are sorted out, the good ones stay. And they develop, learn their acting, expand roles etc.

I see it with music: Back in the early 90ies i found the actual pop music horrible.
Just recently i heard a 90ies remix and was surprised how much better it was, then in my memory.

Reason being the only played the good songs from back then, all the lousy 2week/summer hits have gone forgotten.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Guardians of the galaxy was amazing! And yes, the music was cool, they had two songs in it i just listenend before the movie.
It worked great because music wise, it was our generation (i am a bit older then you, but still same generation) but the movie also works for Teens.

The Star Trek by JJ Abrahams was great as well.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Hmmmm the problem with that is it's an actor problem, not a movie problem. I'll do actor comparisons.

Whoever it is that played Fen, verses pretty much any actor from the old days. Since he has black skin I'll stick with black skinned actors. Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, Samuel L. Jackson, Eddie Murphy, Danny Glover, I can go on even though I despise doing comparisons along the lines of color, as it gives some authenticity to the concept of race, but that's neither here nor there.

Even the most comedic and silly of these actors can also do serious well when they want to, as well as handle comedy when appropriate. They have a wide range of skills. Meanwhile we got in using star wars Fen's actor. At no point did his emotions feel real or authentic, he felt out of place. Then again is possibly it's just a poorly written movie and it's the writers fault for making the character feel unbelievable. This wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't being set up as the leading man next to Ray's leading lady.

I mean they did a horrible job with Han Solo, which was disappointing. Ford how could you let them do this to Han?

The main issue I have in giving examples is I'm notoriously bad with actor and actress names, as well as having a mind that draws a black when put on the spot. Only reason Fen sticks in my mind is he's the most recent actor that I've seen in a movie that set off this feeling.
edit on 1/6/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Let me say at the outset that I think there are some good youthful actors out there. There's just not a lot of them; but then again, there's a shortage of good producers and directors as well.

There are a number of reasons. One, the whole "studio" industry died so there's no training going on and not much in the way of older actors mentoring new ones.

Two, the whole "method" acting school has gone out of favor and so has the Adler technique so there's no depth to the actors being trained up today. See: en.wikipedia.org...

And see: en.wikipedia.org...

I'd guess the reason they've fallen out of favor is that these "acting" schools are extremely intense and time consuming and no one has the time for all that in today's world.

Third reason I've observed is the fall off and decline unto near death of Soap Operas. From the 1950's on, the Soap Operas provided an intense acting type environment/school and mentoring program that spun of hundreds of strong lead actors and supporting characters for the movie and tv industry. Now all that's pretty much gone.

So what we're left with, but with exceptions, re a group of young actors that more resemble graduates of a Mexican Professional Wrestling theatre.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Good questions P. Have you juxtaposed this perception of yours concerning acting with the current musical trends? Does music today seem as good to you as it did back when? Or juxtapose what you have seen as being funny from, say, ten or twenty years ago. Does much of todays comedy seem bland to you?.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Whoever it is that played Fen...

John Boyega, and the character's name was Finn.

And honestly, I thought he did a great job.

...versus pretty much any actor from the old days. Since he has black skin I'll stick with black skinned actors. Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, Samuel L. Jackson, Eddie Murphy, Danny Glover, I can go on even though I despise doing comparisons along the lines of color, as it gives some authenticity to the concept of race, but that's neither here nor there.

I think Will Smith is overrated and I am not a fan of Danny Glover. Eddie Murphy really has not done anything of consequence in sometime. I like Freeman and Jackson.

Even the most comedic and silly of these actors can also do serious well when they want to, as well as handle comedy when appropriate. They have a wide range of skills. Meanwhile we got in using star wars Fen's actor. At no point did his emotions feel real or authentic, he felt out of place. Then again is possibly it's just a poorly written movie and it's the writers fault for making the character feel unbelievable.

I guess I just disagree. I thought is was a very well written film and he played the part well. He was very likeable for me and, judging by the reviews, the vast majority of people.

I mean they did a horrible job with Han Solo, which was disappointing. Ford how could you let them do this to Han?

I thought Ford fell right into the part again, it was like watching the old Han Solo, particularly when he was given some witty dialogue which was a hallmark of the original trilogy.

The main issue I have in giving examples is I'm notoriously bad with actor and actress names, as well as having a mind that draws a black when put on the spot. Only reason Fen sticks in my mind is he's the most recent actor that I've seen in a movie that set off this feeling.

Oh well. There have been some real duds made lately but I do not think the new Star Wars is one of them by a long shot.

edit on 6-1-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: svetlana84

Cause Star Trek: The Motion Picture was the Citizen Kane of outer space.

To be honest, as much as I love Star Wars that was a true statement. The original trilogy is riddled with bad acting and enormous plot holes that have to be explained away by Sci-fi geeks to make sense. Heck, Return of the Jedi is CLEARLY a cash grab attempt to sell action figures on George Lucas' part.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I like Star Trek, a lot, particularly the new one by J.J., but if I had to pick I would take Star Wars over Star Trek any day of the week and twice when there is a matinee.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Well me too, but that is because Star Wars has always been an scifi action series and Star Trek was supposed to be a scifi drama series. JJ Abrams of course turned Star Trek into Star Wars (hence why many Star Wars fans like it), but up until then that was what it was supposed to be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join