It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinners and Saints: A history of the Papacy - Introduction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The history of the Papacy spans about two millennium, with Peter traditionally consider the first Pope and continuing today with Pope Francis from Argentina. Even though I identify as an atheist; I enjoy learning about the history of the Catholic church. From the Pope, to the evolution of the church, scandals, and what not.

For me I want to express what I learn about the Popes, and the Catholic faith, with you guys here. This is no easy task. Still I feel it's necessary because of how big and influential the church is today. When we understand the Catholic faith, we can build better relationships and also debate with them more easily. I hope we'll all benefit from this.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
If you like Catholic history look into P2 and "God's Banker".

Very interesting story.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Teddy916

This is one of the best documentaries on the subject.

If you want a history of the Church, here it is.

edit on 28-12-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
One thing such a history ought to be doing is combatting the tendency to antedate the authority of the papacy.
We find the supporters of the papacy and the opponents of the papacy colluding in this distortion of history, because the latter like to have someone to blame for things they don't like in the early church.
For practical purposes, the "catholic church" in the modern sense (as an institution centred upon the papacy) did not really begin to exist until the time of Charlemagne. It gradually detached itself from the church world at the other end of the Mediterranean, and slowly convinced itself that its own separate orbit was the whole world, and therefore it was the world church.
As a result, the meaning of the word "catholic" has evolved, from the original sense of "universal", to the more modern sense of "offering obedience to the Pope". A key element in modern catholic apologetics is the pretence, taken for granted rather than expressed explicitly, that the word has always had both meanings.

edit on 29-12-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

As a result, the meaning of the word "catholic" has evolved, from the original sense of "universal"
Quite true .I find it strange that they (The Vatican) would claim to be the whore that rides the beast .Many think they are her but scripture identifies her as where the Prophets and our Lord was crucified . The RCC's covert Jesuit order and their history brings in some light to the ,behind the scenes workings of the operations .

But you can find true believers within the RCC .Most dont seem to read ,study, or understand the bible and from what I have seen being preached and taught , its no big surprise . strange church , strange history and strange doctrine imo

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Chris White has the best study on Mystery Babylon I have watched . That vid you posted is a pretty good historical one and shows that the RCC is part of Mystery Babylon and the whore that rides the beast . any way just a link to the study by CW www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Oh Lordie, if you're looking for accurate information about the Catholic Church, you're in the wrong forum, brother!

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: infolurker

Chris White has the best study on Mystery Babylon I have watched . That vid you posted is a pretty good historical one and shows that the RCC is part of Mystery Babylon and the whore that rides the beast . any way just a link to the study by CW www.youtube.com...

Checking it out today. Thanks for the information. I had not seen this series.
edit on 29-12-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I thought you may find this interesting. I am currently reading through an informative website on one person's journey from Christianity to Atheism. There are numerous pages on Catholicism. I will link a page on "The Myth of Petrine Papacy".

"The Roman Catholic Church claims that Peter was the first pope and that he was appointed to that post by Jesus himself. This myth carry with it three implicit suggestions. The first is that Jesus actually appointed Peter to be the head of the Christian church. The second is that Peter became the bishop of Rome (the original title of the Pope). And third is that the supremacy of this title was recognized, from the earliest times, by the entire church by virtue of the above two points. Yet all three suggestions are demonstrably false."

There are explanations with regard to the following:

The Appointment of Peter Given in Matthew is Not Historical
The Investiture of Peter by Jesus in the Gospel of John is fictional
Some New Testament Passages Point to James the Just as the Leader of the Early Followers
The Tradition of Peter Being the First Bishop of Rome only Surfaced in the Fourth Century
The Hierarchy of the Early Church Could Not Have Produced a First Pope
Other Major Centers of Christianity Never Accepted the Supremacy of Rome
The Supremacy of Rome Arose Due to Contingent Historical Circumstances
The Use of Forgery to Enforce Claims of Papal Supremacy

Link

There is also a start page for Catholicism

The Roman Catholic Church

The website name "Rejection of Pascal's Wager" initially made me feel that this person's journey would involve derogatory statements and emotional rhetoric but I was wrong.

new topics

top topics

join