It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Felons Can't Vote & Why They Should

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
I don`t believe most convicted felons care whether they can vote or not,it`s difficult to believe that criminals are very civic minded to begin with.
sure, let them vote, as someone above has already posted, what difference will it make elections are rigged anyway.

You don't get out much, do you? We are every where. I'm a grandfather, veteran, electrician, very civic minded and a felon. What I am not, nor have I ever been, is a criminal.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Hmm. I still can't find the spot in the constitution and bill of rights that says "except criminals".
A hand full of entries that protect potential criminals, but nothing that says except them...

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ApparentlyStupid
Hmm. I still can't find the spot in the constitution and bill of rights that says "except criminals".
A hand full of entries that protect potential criminals, but nothing that says except them...

Well considering they can vote I don't see why thATS still a issue in regards to the op. Should the question be on most applications you fill out? That's more pressing to most felons. If that's eliminated, should it be for all felons? Or nonviolent? Should nonviolent felons be allowed to bare arms?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85
a reply to: JesseVentura

I'm sorry but no. They should not be given the right to vote. Once you break the law you give up that right.

Everyone has broken the law. Everyone has committed at least one felony. There was a study in the 1940s, "Our Law-Abiding Lawbreakers," in which 99% of respondents admitted to committing at least one crime that could have sent them away for a year or more. None of them had been arrested. The other 1%, I think, was lying.

By the way, there are convicted felons working for the Federal government. Felonies will keep you out of the FBI and such agencies, but they are not disqualifying governmentwide. Felons may not be able to vote for their bosses, but they can still hold public trust and/or sensitive positions in the government.
edit on 25-12-2015 by FurvusRexCaeli because: change pronoun to noun for clarity

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Why can convicted felons run for office if they can't vote?

They can...TI proved that when he voted for Obama.

You can see here by state the voting rules for felons...

exoffenders.net...

Should have actually done your research before making this thread.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Jahari

Felons can vote. Just not while incarcerated. At least that's how it is here in ohio.

And most states.

Seems Jesse would have done better research for this thread...but I guess he couldn't be bothered to do any.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
End the drug war and theoretically most felons to be wont be. Obviously though all that revenue would still keep the ghetto the ghetto etc etc

Actually all that revenue would "empower" the ghetto, which is why it's kept illegal in the first place.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Jahari

This applies only to state and local level elections. Not Federal elections. This is based on how SCOTUS interprets section 2 of the 14 th Amendment.

Just to give a little background perspective, in 1800 for example, there were no laws in the US prohibiting felons from voting. By 1860, 80% of states had laws prohibiting felons from their right to vote. This was done ostensibly to keep as many free blacks from voting as possible as the demographics then we're not so different from today in regards to people of African descent being disproportionately represented in the ranks of convicted felons.

If someone has served their sentence, is a productive member of society who works and pays taxes then they should have the right to vote reinstated. After all. Isn't that one of the impetus for revolting against the Crown in 1776? Taxation without representation?

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
No! Convicted felons should not be allowed to vote. In the US we need people that can understand the consequences of their actions voting, as well as people that will vote for the good of all society. Unless they have been pardoned, why would you want them to vote? Originally the right to vote was only bestowed on men that owned land. While limiting it only to men was wrong, the idea that you had to own real property was the right idea. In other words people that were smart enough to figure out how to own and maintain property were probably wise enough to be able to vote competently.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AntigravityField

No! Convicted felons should not be allowed to vote. In the US we need people that can understand the consequences of their actions voting, as well as people that will vote for the good of all society.

And that should go for all then...Obama being elected shows us this.

You would be amazed at what convicted felons know about the US political world.

Just because your a felon it doesn't make you stupid.

Unless they have been pardoned, why would you want them to vote?

If they paid their debt to society why wouldn't you want them to vote?

edit on 26-12-2015 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

A felon is a felon. The law will make no difference in it. You go down for theft you get thrown in with the rest of the bunch that did worse.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Don't do twitter gonna sound off here.

Felons are not allowed to vote because they know how screwed up our judicial system is. If they were allowed to vote the private prison industry would be in big trouble. No longer would people be allowed to profit off of the incarceration of others. I say let them vote. Not like it matters anymore anyway corporations determine who is elected in this country.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
Don't do twitter gonna sound off here.

Felons are not allowed to vote because they know how screwed up our judicial system is. If they were allowed to vote the private prison industry would be in big trouble. No longer would people be allowed to profit off of the incarceration of others. I say let them vote. Not like it matters anymore anyway corporations determine who is elected in this country.

They can vote!

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Yeah I never understood why doing your time for the crime isn't enough ? Because when someone does time so do the loved ones and families too. And when they are released they are ostracized from society , employers , from renting a place ect. It's as if they are set up to fail and then forced to turn to crime again.

It's by design imo , the offender is considered stock for for profit prisons. Once you go to prison you will be forever a slave to the state that point on. The door is forever revolving with a cell and a cot waiting for them with a name on it. It's big business it's never been about "corrections" or "rehabilitation" that's a lie.

Shake down these crooked law makers and the lobby

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AntigravityField
No! Convicted felons should not be allowed to vote. In the US we need people that can understand the consequences of their actions voting, as well as people that will vote for the good of all society. Unless they have been pardoned, why would you want them to vote? Originally the right to vote was only bestowed on men that owned land. While limiting it only to men was wrong, the idea that you had to own real property was the right idea. In other words people that were smart enough to figure out how to own and maintain property were probably wise enough to be able to vote competently.

When someone robs a bank the last thing they are thinking is

"Better not do this I can't vote if I get caught"

Said no criminal ever !

As others pointed out this is no punishment to the individual but a political scam to keep the crooked white collar scum in power. They depend on people like you go keep them elected.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Do you know how incredibly easy it is to NOT be a felon? You don't have to try to not be a felon. It doesn't require training,or conscious effort. In fact, not being a felon is one of the easiest things in life.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I didn't watch the video but I am a felon. FYI, FELONS CAN VOTE! They can't vote while in jail/prison or while on probation but once free of probation or prison in most states their right to vote is automatically restored. In commonwealth states like where I live in Virginia you have to email if a non-violent offender or mail if violent a form in to the governors office stating that you would like the right to vote. I believe along with that comes the rights to hold public office,be bonded,etc.. But not the right to sale alcohol,practice medicine or own a firearm or run for governor,senate or president. Not sure why but they want you to file separate petitions for some of your rights. As well as with a passport,felons have to ask permission to get one and then when leaving ask to leave. It's all really weird. I've been told they also block you from moving to another country but I don't know about that. I do know that after about 7 to 10 years after your conviction the federal government doesn't really care much about you being a felon. I at this very moment have several passes to work on government installations and inside of federal buildings. I also have a rapid pass and twic card to work at ports and airports. It's all really not that hard you just have to gain an understanding of how the system works and don't give up or act #ing stupid. The only thing I don't get is that in some states,no matter how long you've been free you can never have your record cleared. If someone could shed some light on that,please do so. a reply to: JesseVentura

(post by franky2 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cumingsj
I didn't watch the video but I am a felon. FYI, FELONS CAN VOTE! They can't vote while in jail/prison or while on probation but once free of probation or prison in most states their right to vote is automatically restored. In commonwealth states like where I live in Virginia you have to email if a non-violent offender or mail if violent a form in to the governors office stating that you would like the right to vote. I believe along with that comes the rights to hold public office,be bonded,etc.. But not the right to sale alcohol,practice medicine or own a firearm or run for governor,senate or president. Not sure why but they want you to file separate petitions for some of your rights. As well as with a passport,felons have to ask permission to get one and then when leaving ask to leave. It's all really weird. I've been told they also block you from moving to another country but I don't know about that. I do know that after about 7 to 10 years after your conviction the federal government doesn't really care much about you being a felon. I at this very moment have several passes to work on government installations and inside of federal buildings. I also have a rapid pass and twic card to work at ports and airports. It's all really not that hard you just have to gain an understanding of how the system works and don't give up or act #ing stupid. The only thing I don't get is that in some states,no matter how long you've been free you can never have your record cleared. If someone could shed some light on that,please do so. a reply to: JesseVentura

That's not true. As an ex-felon I can 100% without a doubt say that once you complete your terms, you still need to apply for whats known as a certificate of relief from disability (granted to petty criminals automatically, but for more serious offenders it needs manual application)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You don't have to apply in every state. States like Indiana give them back automatically. I lived there for a few years before I applied to have mine restored in VA. I had the rights to vote,serve jury duty,sale alcohol and the other BS that doesn't really matter This was 2 years ago when I lived there.
Below is a map to the voting right restoration. The dark blue,light blue and yellow are also the states in which almost all restore rights once released from probation & paroles. Orange state you must apply for restoration and red you are basically #ed for life if you stay there. Most of the states outside the ones in blue won't expunge or seal your record ever. I'm not sure when you had to go through this but many of the laws have changed over the past year or 2
www.aclu.org... .a reply to: theySeeme

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join