It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Christians And Muslims Worship The Same God? - NPR Story

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
With all this back and forth seesawing hypocrisy as of late, I thought this was a pretty interesting article, not so much for the glaring similarities between the two religions, but for the statements made by scholars representing each of the faiths...

NPR

Most mainstream Muslims would generally agree they worship the same God that Christians — or Jews — worship. Zeki Saritoprak, a professor of Islamic studies at John Carroll University in Cleveland, points out that in the Quran there's the Biblical story of Jacob asking his sons whom they'll worship after his death.

"Jacob's sons replied, 'We will worship the God of your fathers' — Abraham, Ishmael and Isaac. He is the God," Saritoprak says. "So this God that Jacob worshipped, this God that Abraham, Isaac worshipped, is the same God that Muslims worship today."

Christians, however, believe in a triune God: God the father, God the son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit. And many evangelicals will say that means Muslims and Jews do not worship the same god as Christians.

"To say that we worship the same God is not the same as insisting that we have an agreed and shared understanding of God," Pauw says.

God is much greater than anything we can imagine," Yusuf says. "The Muslims have a statement in our theology: Whatever you imagine God to be, God is other than that."

"No one is in a position of saying, 'Well, we know exactly how God works in the world, and my particular group has a monopoly on that,' " Pauw says.

So what we really have here is nothing but the struggle of the blind ego carried over millennia trying to establish itself as undeniably righteous.

The fact is all religions are ultimately bound to the universal 'power principle' that is intrinsic through all matter and by ignoring this truth, the collective conscious of these religions are not only nullifying their own faiths through their defense, but are nullifying life itself. In other words religion itself is the Mahdi, the Anit-Christ... truth manifest as a consequence via this ignorance.

If you only knew how real god was, you'd realize why he doesn't exist at all.
edit on 22-12-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
So how many earths were created by all these gods?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

They're called abrahamic religions for a reason with obvious differences

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: errorcode
So how many earths were created by all these gods?

six hundred and sixty six?
edit on 22-12-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

hahahaha, yeah it's pretty obvious.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
There is just the one "God". The various religions have chosen to try to make that one God their own, but it's all the same God. While I believe "God" in whatever form that may be, exists, God didn't create religion, man did.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
edit god
edit on 22-12-2015 by NowWhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
If there is a consciousness such as god..must be worried about his creation. Makes me think of this song
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
God is not a religious figure......

Religion is what man created to try to understand God

If you believe in such a force

Which I do

People shouldnt be persecuted for their pursuit of truth, lest that pursuit cause harm....

I dont believe in demeaning others for choosing paths different from my own

However the OP seems to have some criticism for how people decide to achieve that goal....

“The various religions are like different roads converging on the same point. What difference does it make if we follow different routes, provided we arrive at the same destination?” ― Mahatma Gandhi

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
At least there is big enough differences between Christianity, Islam and Judaism to have a decent argument.....you should try Catholicism and Protestantism! The argument there is just plain stupid.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

The main god is the same...the differences begin if you decide to follow one of the prophets (from the Islamic point of view).

They chose Muhammad and his teachings concerning how to conduct one's life.

Christianity follow's Jesus' teachings on how to conduct one's life.

Judaism only cares about YHWH...prophets be damned (more or less).

But at the center of all three is the same god.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

That's great you don't believe in demeaning others to chose paths different from your own, you shouldn't, but the religions in question have done so very violently for a couple thousand years now,

My criticism is of the death, destruction and cruelty that is perpetuated on behalf of these religions, not necessarily in one individual belief, but in the collective reality that takes precedence.

as far as the Gandhi quote... The difference is, we age wars, kill and maim trying to get there.

I'll criticize that all day.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Muslims will say that they do worship the same God, Christians will say they don't. The Muslims would be right and the Christians would be wrong in this case. Both worship the God of Abraham, both descended from Judaism.

This is why I see the Abrahamic god as the deceiver and divider of mankind, not the true God. It has 3 different (main) religions under its name all disagreeing with one another and each religion has its different denominations that all disagree amongst themselves.

There is no unity under Abraham's god, only disunity and discord. Take today's war in the Middle East as an example; while it may not technically be a "holy war" in name, we have the predominately Christian U.S. and Russia intervening in the predominately Muslim Middle East.

They have used the Abrahamic religions to covertly justify these wars they're fighting without ever actually calling it as such. This is one of the main uses of religion, to get people to accept wars in the name of their particular faith.
edit on 12/22/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

That's great you don't believe in demeaning others to chose paths different from your own, you shouldn't, but the religions in question have done so very violently for a couple thousand years now,

My criticism is of the death, destruction and cruelty that is perpetuated on behalf of these religions, not necessarily in one individual belief, but in the collective reality that takes precedence.

as far as the Gandhi quote... The difference is, we age wars, kill and maim trying to get there.

I'll criticize that all day.

Do you know of a religion exempt from such violence? All of them have gone through times where they were violent...

The issue is the majority of them now with th e exception of one, have gotten past those times, been through reformations and no longer condone those actions.....

i feel like this thread is trying to pull up the ol "crusades" talking point again...

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
To ANSWER your OP? Nope! Many "Christians" worship the same "god" as the heathens do, out of ignorance.
"God" once, "winked at ignorance".... Not so much, anymore.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Judaism only cares about YHWH...prophets be damned (more or less).

I thought Judaism was all about the profits?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yes...Christians, Jews, Muslims...they all go back to a guy we call Abraham. We only divided into these three religions for power and to justify killing, raping, looting and stealing land.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

That reason is because of the stealth agenda behind the phrase “Abrahamic faith”...

The term comes from the Qur’an and the whole purpose behind it is to undermine Christianity.

‘Abrahamic faiths’ is a distinctly Islamic term that subverts historic Judaism and Christianity, reframes them within an Islamic worldview, asserts Islamic superiority, and thus is the very opposite of its alleged intended usage. ‘Abrahamic faiths’ is a loaded term that reinforces the Islamic claim that “Christianity and Judaism are regarded as distorted derivatives of Islam…” and serves the purpose of Islamic da’wa.

The term ‘Abrahamic faiths’ and its cognates is misleading. Reinforcing the term’s misleading nature, Aaron Hughes, in the conclusion of his book-length evaluation of the term Abrahamic Religions, states that it is more an impediment than an expedient to understanding. I trust that I have made the case that the term is, for all intents and purposes, meaningless.”105 Whilst in broad agreement with Hughes, the term ‘Abrahamic Faiths’ is worse than meaningless, because it is literally full of meaning. The term comes from the Qur’an, is a loaded term that serves the agenda of Islamic da’wa while undermining the authenticity of Judaism and Christianity. Therefore, I conclude that ‘Abrahamic faiths’ is a term that should be abandoned by scholars except in its original qur’anic signification.

The Myth of the Abrahamic Faiths (PDF)

The concept of “Abrahamic faiths” is a fallacy. Its contemporary influence was, tragically, born out of a century of Christian suffering in the Middle East and foisted upon the unsuspecting West. It is reasonable to ask whether this is a theological Trojan horse designed to promote an Islamic worldview of relations between faiths.

The Abrahamic Fallacy (PDF)

This false idea of there being three Abrahamic faiths is the false belief behind the latest apostasy rising in some churches that is called “Chrislam.” Chrislam is nothing more than preaching a false Christ to kowtow to Islam and shows that the people peddling this false religion want to be friends with the world system. So we see in Islam a whole plethora of things that Abraham would never do. Furthermore, the Quran makes many factual errors about Abraham such as the claim that Abraham worshiped at Mecca [Sura 14:37], but he actually worshiped in Hebron [Genesis 13:18].

Abraham did not believe in salvation by works. Abraham rejoiced to see the day of the Lord Jesus Christ, and he saw it and was glad [John 8:56], but Muslims deny Jesus Christ is the Lord and deny that God has a son. Abraham, as Jesus said, was not into killing people who spoke the truth. Muslims who establish sharia believe in killing those who speak the truth of the gospel. Since Muslims do not display the same faith as Abraham, Islam is not an Abrahamic faith.

They claim the god they worship, Allah, is the same as Jehovah. But just like Jesus told the Jews, “If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham,” [John 8:39-40]. Abraham, as I said before, had faith in God and faith in God’s Son, the Lord Jesus. That is the work that made him righteous before God.

The myth of “three Abrahamic faiths”

edit on 22-12-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

That reason is because of the stealth agenda behind the phrase “Abrahamic faith”...

The term comes from the Qur’an and the whole purpose behind it is to undermine Christianity.

‘Abrahamic faiths’ is a distinctly Islamic term that subverts historic Judaism and Christianity, reframes them within an Islamic worldview, asserts Islamic superiority, and thus is the very opposite of its alleged intended usage. ‘Abrahamic faiths’ is a loaded term that reinforces the Islamic claim that “Christianity and Judaism are regarded as distorted derivatives of Islam…” and serves the purpose of Islamic da’wa.

The term ‘Abrahamic faiths’ and its cognates is misleading. Reinforcing the term’s misleading nature, Aaron Hughes, in the conclusion of his book-length evaluation of the term Abrahamic Religions, states that it is more an impediment than an expedient to understanding. I trust that I have made the case that the term is, for all intents and purposes, meaningless.”105 Whilst in broad agreement with Hughes, the term ‘Abrahamic Faiths’ is worse than meaningless, because it is literally full of meaning. The term comes from the Qur’an, is a loaded term that serves the agenda of Islamic da’wa while undermining the authenticity of Judaism and Christianity. Therefore, I conclude that ‘Abrahamic faiths’ is a term that should be abandoned by scholars except in its original qur’anic signification.

The Myth of the Abrahamic Faiths (PDF)

The concept of “Abrahamic faiths” is a fallacy. Its contemporary influence was, tragically, born out of a century of Christian suffering in the Middle East and foisted upon the unsuspecting West. It is reasonable to ask whether this is a theological Trojan horse designed to promote an Islamic worldview of relations between faiths.

The Abrahamic Fallacy (PDF)

I'm not sure I agree with you. Only because all three religions can trace their roots back to Abraham in some way. He is the father of all three religions. Even more telling is that Abraham can be traced back to the Sumerians.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Only because all three religions can trace their roots back to Abraham in some way. He is the father of all three religions.

This cannot possibly be true because they contradict each other.

If two beliefs directly contradict each other, both of them cannot be true, no matter how "tolerant" we become. This means it is false to say that every religion is true, or that every religion leads to God. When people make such claims they show that they have not taken the time to study the world's religions, because a brief reading of the sacred texts of only a handful of religions quickly reveals contradictions on the most fundamental levels.

They could all be false, but they can't all be true. Are any of them true? This is the most important question anyone can ask. Recognize religious contradictions. Embrace them. Test them. Seek the truth.

Contradict: They Can't All Be True

Would the Abrahamic religions contradict each other if they all shared the same source?
For example, their theological understanding of Jesus of Nazareth.

Judaism contradicts Christianity [1], Christianity contradicts Islam [2], and Islam contradicts Judaism [3].

[1] Judaism: (1) Jesus of Nazareth is not the Jewish Messiah. (2) Jesus of Nazareth is not God.

[2] Christianity: (1) Jesus of Nazareth is the Jewish Messiah. (2) Jesus of Nazareth is God.

[3] Islam: (1) Jesus of Nazareth is the Jewish Messiah. (2) Jesus of Nazareth is not God.

In truth, it seems to me, both Christianity and Islam presuppose the theological truth of Judaism, and then they contradict it, and then attempt to rationalize it, or justify it. Why is there so much difficulty between the Abrahamic religions?

www.quora.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join