It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do if the electrical grid went down?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaelci
I, personally, would welcome it. My partner and I have talked about this pretty extensively actually, because sometimes I get into these moods where I want us to move to a typical secluded cabin in the middle of no-where and live with nothing modern. Although, living in Australia, I suppose I'd be pretty miffed that I couldn't turn my air conditioning on. Ugh.

I'm delighted to see, so far, how many others would actually prefer this. No air would suck for sure. And like I previously stated, my house doesn't pull a breeze for shart. I'd have to improvise and make some new holes in my house. Hand drills and hand saws, here I come!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm on the grid in Texas. If cyber terrorism took out a grid it would target east or westcoast. Not concerned.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Without proper sanitation and clean water and a medical infrastructure; dysentery would kill most people fairly quickly and other diseases, would finish off most of those left.

All the stored food and bullets will be totally ineffectual against the plagues and diseases that will spread quickly and ravage the land.

Once containment is breached in the bio/chem warfare facilities.....all bets are off. Death will be carried on the wind.

The elite will probably fare pretty well in their climate controlled bunkers...the rest of us will be SOL.
edit on 11-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   
It would take less than a week for things to come to a complete stop and everyone would be on foot. Millions will die in the first 30 days and if nobody figures out how to keep the nuke plants cool they will start to melt down in less than 60 days. Game ,point ,match!! It wouldn't take long. Only so much wild game to survive on

link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Yes, this is one of the hand-wringing OMG events that have more than a little chance of happening in our lifetimes... due to the variety of ways it could happen... either by way of the sun or people.

The precautions to safeguard the grid are known and not too expensive, considering the alternative... but the knowledge and will to do it are, obviously, lacking.

If (or rather when) this happens, other people's reactions would be far more worrying than the lack of electricity itself... and I imagine any number of nightmarish scenarios as a result of no communication or transportation.

The global network of food distribution would be gone... water pumps, too, would stop... so would all modern transportation... and no matter how fast or efficiently the grid was fixed, there would still be death and panic.

I'd hope that as awareness of this likelihood spreads, people would pressure their local government representatives to budget for these fixes... as it's one of the more preventable SHTF scenarios.

There is still vast square miles of open rural land that would have to be occupied by anyone that made it of the concrete jungle alive. 18 months is what they say for down time.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I'd love being out in the middle of nowhere. It is so peaceful. When I go on vacation, it takes me a few days to fully disconnect and decompress, but once I get used to not having to deal with the electronic BS, I love it. No email. No TV. No internet. Just a cup of Joe and a good book. Maybe go hiking or fishing.

The creature comforts we have are nice though but sooner or later, you get used to not having them.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: forkedtongue

originally posted by: KawRider9

Personally, I'd love it.

I'm rural enough that most crime won't be an issue. I'm an avid hunter and outdoorsman so that's covered. The hardest part will be life without ATS.

I agree, no internet would be the biggest hit for me.

Dude........ME TOO! No facebook, no drama, no television, no internet, no phones. It'd be about like it was when I was growing up in the 80's, minus the 5 channels on TV and the electricity, and the landline phone.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

What would you do if the electrical grid went down?

You mean before or after I go into convulsions from internet withdrawal ?

After, lol.... My fiance would probably join you in those convulsions.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It'll be ok till people realise that no power = no access to pr0n and at that point

I do remember the power cuts here in the UK in the 1970's so i am a bit used to enforced power cuts

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

This book right here should be a must read for everybody.
It really is an eye opener! Even though it's about an EMP blast, it's very telling of human nature in any break down that may possibly happen.

link   
a reply to: mikell

Do you think all 3 grids would go down simultaneously? It takes between a few weeks and a couple of months to get a grid back up. The question I have is if the authorities could actually provide basic needs for as long as it would take to get a grid back up.

link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: forkedtongue

Yeah I'm on the outskirts of a small town in Northwest Louisiana. Population out here is 800 and I've got land to hunt, ponds to fish, and a garden down the road. I guess my biggest thorn would be poachers or people trying to fish in my ponds. Only other problem I'd have is that my house can't pull a breeze if its foundation depended on it so I'd have to improvise.

Just a thought to try helping out.

Bury a septic tank full of big rocks in your yard. Duct air in and out from your house in a closed loop.
This will act as a 'heat sink" and, except for some moisture build up over time, will feel much like air conditioning.
You can use a small windmill with a belt to move the air.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
We'd be screwed. Anyone who is even remotely close to a major city is screwed royally. The vast majority of people have no clue how to fend for themselves. It won't take but a few days without groceries for all hell to break loose.

This is something that has often bothered me. I kind of wish I could move far enough out into the boonies and be somewhat self-sufficient. Unfortunately, my career and family is tied to the city.

That's who I'd feel bad for. People like you who are tied down like that. Without posting up in a dark hallway with your rifle or pistol, you won't have much chance once the rebels begin to get hungry. If you know anyone in the country, you'd definitely want to get there. But like another poster brought up, how will we even know that it's a nationwide grid failure and not just some power outage that'll be fixed in an hour or a couple days? I work in the city so if I ran out of gas on the way to work, I'd be screwed too.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaelci
I, personally, would welcome it. My partner and I have talked about this pretty extensively actually, because sometimes I get into these moods where I want us to move to a typical secluded cabin in the middle of no-where and live with nothing modern. Although, living in Australia, I suppose I'd be pretty miffed that I couldn't turn my air conditioning on. Ugh.

I'm delighted to see, so far, how many others would actually prefer this. No air would suck for sure. And like I previously stated, my house doesn't pull a breeze for shart. I'd have to improvise and make some new holes in my house. Hand drills and hand saws, here I come!

Invest in a summer kitchen, they are great in the south, you guys have the most oppressive heat I have ever been in in my life in lousiana.

Fricking 103 degrees 99% humidity in late september early october.......uggg

My grandparents had a summer kitchen, we spent many a summer night out there playing cards and eating good food.

My grandpa smoked 2 hogs in it every winter.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

a reply to: forkedtongue

Yeah I'm on the outskirts of a small town in Northwest Louisiana. Population out here is 800 and I've got land to hunt, ponds to fish, and a garden down the road. I guess my biggest thorn would be poachers or people trying to fish in my ponds. Only other problem I'd have is that my house can't pull a breeze if its foundation depended on it so I'd have to improvise.

Yup, and when the quickie marts don't have any more moonpies, the city folk will start to wander towards you.

I have a few like minded friends around and we talk about having several alternative plans and keeping together being really important. I try not to sound like a paranoid prepper, but you kind of have to discuss this stuff. It's a reality nobody wants, but everyone will/may have to face.

I think ATSers should try to look out for each other if times like that happen. (even the democrats) Not that we are any more trustworthy than strangers, but we were all a bit nuts before anything weird happened, so there is that.

Well, I'd give the shirt off my back to a democrat if they needed it, and I'd stand in front of them if we were being threatened by unwanted people. I'd help anyone that needed help, but I don't know who's even close to my town that's on this forum.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
I'd sit in the dark and wait until the power was turned back on.

What's the point in living without electricity? There, I couldn't ask that question to you, without it.

Facing what our ancestors faced in the 19th century. I guess we'd get a taste of it.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This movie probably reflects reality.....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
ID hunker down, hide my solar planels , blackout my windows, guard my hilltop, and the rest is classified. Lol. Well besides requiring a certain number of people with skills and assets to use. And create a small community.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
It would take less than a week for things to come to a complete stop and everyone would be on foot. Millions will die in the first 30 days and if nobody figures out how to keep the nuke plants cool they will start to melt down in less than 60 days. Game ,point ,match!! It wouldn't take long. Only so much wild game to survive on

Not if millions are dying. Then there's plenty of wild game. Especially wild hogs down here where I'm at.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell

Not if millions are dying. Then there's plenty of wild game. Especially wild hogs down here where I'm at.

Wait, the worlds ending and you have a thriving supply of bacon and ham readily available!!!!

I wanna move back to the south now that I think about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join