It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, let's talk about crime! My most extensive study yet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
So, let's get into some statistics on crime.I am using this site for my initial gatherings on the crime itself, and this site for further studies, plus some other sites like this

First, let's look at the top 20 cities with the highest crime here

Now, let's look at poverty here and riches here

And the safest cities here

Using all this information I see definite trends that can be statistically proven. Here are some results.

Typically lower population is lower crime, even per capita. You'll see the safest cities are between 20-30,000 people, even though it seems they may not include even smaller places - Which some other websites show smaller towns of around 10,000 people being the safest to live. Higher population cities often have higher crime, even when using percentages.

Poverty is definitely correlative to crime, seeing most high-crime cities have more than 20% of people below poverty, while the safest cities are typically 10% or less. The mean income shows the same, lower=higher, higher=lower crime.

Ethnicity is correlative to crime - every high crime city has higher black or hispanic population than average, all of the safest cities have high to extremely high white population, with some asian population thrown in the mix of safe cities.

My findings on the so-called "richest" cities were not extremely productive - Crime rates are very high in nearly all "rich" cities, but these cities still have high amounts of poverty as well, the site just seems to be using medians ( so one millionaire, one homeless = 500,000 ) and it doesn't seem to portray the cities with the most poverty.

Anyways, that's my findings so far! I did this while at work else I would include more data such as local laws, political stances and such - But I was just looking to find patterns in crime. As far as I can see? A poor person living in a big rich city calls for crime. As for ethnicity findings.. I don't have an educated answer, though I assume it has to do with racism, bigotry, discrimination/reverse discrimination, etc.

Let me know what you think! If you have more to add, or opinions on these findings I'd love to here them.

-Deadlyhope

edit on 10-12-2015 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
So, let's get into some statistics on crime.I am using this site for my initial gatherings on the crime itself, and this site for further studies, plus some other sites like this

Using all this information I see definite trends that can be statistically proven. Here are some results.

Typically lower population is lower crime, even per capita. You'll see the safest cities are between 20-30,000 people, even though it seems they may not include even smaller places - Which some other websites show smaller towns of around 10,000 people being the safest to live. Higher population cities often have higher crime, even when using percentages.

Poverty is definitely correlative to crime, seeing most high-crime cities have more than 20% of people below poverty, while the safest cities are typically 10% or less. The mean income shows the same, lower=higher, higher=lower crime.

Ethnicity is correlative to crime - every high crime city has higher black or hispanic population than average, all of the safest cities have high to extremely high white population, with some asian population thrown in the mix of safe cities.

My findings on the so-called "richest" cities were not extremely productive - Crime rates are very high in nearly all "rich" cities, but these cities still have high amounts of poverty as well, the site just seems to be using medians ( so one millionaire, one homeless = 500,000 ) and it doesn't seem to portray the cities with the least poverty.

Anyways, that's my findings so far! I did this while at work else I would include more data such as local laws, political stances and such - But I was just looking to find patterns in crime. As far as I can see? A poor person living in a big rich city calls for crime. As for ethnicity findings.. I don't have an educated answer, though I assume it has to do with racism, bigotry, discrimination/reverse discrimination, etc.

Let me know what you think! If you have more to add, or opinions on these findings I'd love to here them.

-Deadlyhope

My "opinion" on your "findings" is....

Now you too are part of the statistics.
By doing this at work.
That's theft, bro.

Oh.....
I'm offended as well.

(just playn dude

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Which political party gets the most votes from high crime areas I wonder.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

what about the effects of inequality www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Well, previous studies that I don't have links for show its Democratic party, but that doesn't specifically mean Democrats commit more crime as I don't know the statistics of the specific people jailed etc

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

Good thread. Inequality is definitely a major factor it seems. As I originally wrote, some of the richest cities still have very high crime, I think this is because of perceived inequality.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoadCourse

originally posted by: deadlyhope

My findings on the so-called "richest" cities were not extremely productive - Crime rates are very high in nearly all "rich" cities, but these cities still have high amounts of poverty as well, the site just seems to be using medians ( so one millionaire, one homeless = 500,000 ) and it doesn't seem to portray the cities with the least poverty.

-Deadlyhope

My "opinion" on your "findings" is....

Now you too are part of the statistics.
By doing this at work.
That's theft, bro.

Oh.....
I'm offended as well.

(just playn dude
probably works in congress that's our tax dollars lol

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This info, is published for people like you, to find, "link" to and spread it around. Statistics, like percentage, is not very "scientific" really. I'm sure a 100% of 10% of, people polled, would agree with you though.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Many of these statistics are from the government, and I'm just showing my findings, not giving some grand speech about what should be done about my findings, or that I am the holder of truth or something...

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Well said. At least we have an understanding.

top topics

join