It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboard asking people to skip church on Christmas stirs controversy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This one is interesting, and we haven't had a discussion about the war on Christmas this month...
So I thought I'd throw this into the mix.

Billboards popping up in Colorado and North Carolina carry a message appreciated by some but not as much by others.

They feature a picture of Santa and the words, "Go ahead and skip church! Just be good for goodness sake. Happy holidays!"

Time for some outrage, am I right.

American Atheists, the group behind the ads, says their intention is to emphasize that being a good person isn't tied to attending religious services.

According to a quote at the source;
This may be insulting to those who do celebrate Christmas for religious reasons.

Big whoop, eh?

One person said they should have "worded it differently"...
How's that for PC?

Merry Christmas, everyone.

m.aol.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

It's a group of Atheists. They all got together and decided to pool their resources and get a better image. If they all decided to meet, say, once a week and discuss their thoughts. Perhaps on Sunday.

link   
Obviously not talking about Jehovah's Witnesses.

This is a "m'eh". Everyone knows you don't need church to be moral.

link   
Well, the way it's worded implies that the people it's talking to do go to church and are celebrating it for religious reasons, so the idea is to "skip" church which is bad, but be "good" anyhow?

That's sort of oxymoronic for a church goer. You can't be good if you're already doing something you believe to be bad.

I mean, I don't know how devout you are Charlie, but you are supposed to be pray 5 times a day as a Muslim. Can you skip one of those prayers and still be called good?
edit on 10-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I couldn't give a #, the Solstice is coming, the Solstice is coming...soon more minutes of light than dark!

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Their money (right?). Public Billboard. No problems.

No threats or obstructions.... Does anyone think seeing a billboard would change someones plans to go to church?

Now, if the atheist REALLY want to have some fun, put up a billboard in Wayne County Michigan with cameras on it from every angle that said:

No Islam, Know Peace

Know Islam, No Peace

And watch how long it took before destroyed.
edit on 10-12-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

It's called "conservative correctness".

Just like how "happy holidays" is a form of religious persecution...

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Another attack on Christianity, seems endless

Why isn't their a billboard saying skip the mosque, the temple as well?
It's not ok politically to offend any religious people but Christians these days

this world is becoming stranger by the day, no wonder there is a rise in fundamentalism

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I find it amusing atheists are using a being that does not exist (Santa) to promote not going to church to worship another being that does not exist.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I have always said Political Correctness is a cancer on society!

The times I said it, it was assumed I was attacking Progressives, but I really wasn't. It applied to everyone who chose to exercise their rights by denying others theirs. Is this not the religious right being politically correct? Being offended? I don't have to agree or like the message, but to be honest? I am glad the true colors of those who believe in the political ideologies/turned religious are getting so damned dumb, that we will wake up and see the maliciousness and divisiveness of political correctness for what it is! We either learn to not be offended and work out our differences that WILL DESTROY US or we will implode from within!

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I read that they had a billboard last year of a little girl writing a letter to Santa, saying what she wanted for Christmas was to not have to attend church. So, this is this year's response... Pretty cute, I think.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Another attack on Christianity, seems endless

Why isn't their a billboard saying skip the mosque, the temple as well?
It's not ok politically to offend any religious people but Christians these days

this world is becoming stranger by the day, no wonder there is a rise in fundamentalism

The last I looked Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, etc don't celebrate Christmas. But don't let that stand in the way of a good pity party.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

atheists put up a board telling people not to go to church and there spokesman is a pagan diety.

I dislike people

link   
a reply to: infolurker

Does anyone think seeing a billboard would change someones plans to go to church?

Good question, and I highly doubt it.

But I wonder, why do churches use big billboards to get people to come to church?

link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Obviously not talking about Jehovah's Witnesses.

This is a "m'eh". Everyone knows you don't need church to be moral.

Oh, how I wish that were true, Intrepid. For many, not going to church is immoral, and makes you an immoral person. Believe it or not. Some of my family members are among them. But I do think there are more now than ever, who would agree with the point of your statement.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Is this not the religious right being politically correct? Being offended?

Why, yes, sir, I believe it is. A simple billboard is seen as being "Another attack on Christianity".

Nice post!

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

From what I understand, some Jews and Muslims celebrate Christmas. Perhaps in their own way.

Jesus is a figure in the Muslim faith as well.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Lmao thats priceless! I love it! Atheists for the win!

Religous folk need to calm down.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I've never understood religious controversy via billboard, in either direction.
What reason is there to think that this message will change anyone's behaviour?
Those always intending to go, will go. Those without the intention won't go.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

will they accept christmas presents

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join