It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Bust Weekly Mahjong Game Played by Elderly Women

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
How dare they! A group of elderly women had their weekly mahjong game busted up...For no real reason.

Seems someone (an annoying and growing trend) called the police to complain and report these ladies.

King says word spread about their weekly gathering and that a “troublemaker” in the community called the police citing a law that prohibits playing the game for money. Police closed the clubhouse.

The women were sent a formal notice from condominium management stating that there would be no more mahjong, bingo, or poker played in the location until further notice. Police reportedly stopped by several times later that week to make sure the games weren’t being played.

Police stopped by "several times later in the week to ensure the games weren't being played." Does anyone else find this utterly and completely ridiculous?? Especially when they didn't EVEN BREAK THE LAW in the first place?

Heritage Florida did find Statute 849.085, which states: “Certain penny-ante games are not crimes; ‘Penny-ante game’ means a game or series of games of poker, pinochle, bridge, rummy, canasta, hearts, dominoes, or mahjong in which the winnings of any player in a single round, hand, or game do not exceed $10 in value.”

The women playing had a $4 limit. The women also had homeowner rights, were over the age of 18, and were not enforcing debt to be paid.

So, they weren't even betting more than $4.00 and it isn't as if Ethel's grandson was going to bust knee caps if the money wasn't paid.

Florida is FULL OF REAL CRIMINALS! This cop should be fired for his blatant stupidity and waste of tax money. This S5!T has got to stop.

Source

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

Police stopped by "several times later in the week to ensure the games weren't being played." Does anyone else find this utterly and completely ridiculous?? Especially when they didn't EVEN BREAK THE LAW in the first place?

A policeman's job is to enforce the law.

They DO NOT make the law.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Stupid.

Just stupid.

Bet these cops would hate to play poker with me.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Between the ages of 85 and 92. Playing majong for $4.

Sounds like Al Qaeda to me...

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
If they send a percentage to the gov everything will be just fine.

Though shalt not have enjoyment unless it is paid for!

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Perhaps in Mayberry RFD...

Law Enforcement has become judge, jury and in many cases...executioner.

They also selectively enforce many crimes and let corruption flourish in many cases.

It's a brave new world....

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Grifter Granny Gamblers.

Another criminal mafia syndicate foiled again... good going vigilante citizens !

Your tax dollars hard at work.

Lock them up and throw away the key dammit !

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
LMAO! saw this earlier and thought "for real"?

they're old. let them do whatever they want. they're not hurting anyone.
let them gather.
let them play.
let them have Cake!

agreed op. this is ridiculous.

edit: must admit. when i saw the headlines on FOX. I envisioned a high stakes Majong Game going down at the OK Coral. gun slinging grannies.
edit on 27-11-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I get it...those old ladies were a true threat to society for sure.

I'm glad they got taken down.

That neighborhood is way safer now.

I feel safer.

That other non sense of real violent crime doesn't really matter. I'm just so relieved that tax paying money is getting spent wisely.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Commit $1 a game to the Police Retirement Fund - game back on.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
There were no victims of person or property so I fail to see a crime here.

These ladies were minding their own business and should have been left alone.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Land of the free.......

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

Laws are made for those who complain. I know, I had an asshole neighbor.

There are probably laws you never heard of, but if someone complains - - the police have to respond.

If there is a law against what these ladies are doing - - the police have no choice but to enforce it.

That's the way it works.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

They certainly have Carte Blanche to NOT enforce the laws they don't want to. No one can tell me they don't.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

Laws are made for those who complain. I know, I had an asshole neighbor.

There are probably laws you never heard of, but if someone complains - - the police have to respond.

If there is a law against what these ladies are doing - - the police have no choice but to enforce it.

That's the way it works.

Does it?

Have you ever been let off after being stopped for speeding? Maybe you were cut a break on getting caught with alcohol as a teen or even caught with a joint and let go?

The point is police have leeway in deciding if they want to enforce or not.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Duh, really?? You obvi didn't READ the OP, otherwise you'd understand that they didn't break any laws.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Duh, really?? You obvi didn't READ the OP, otherwise you'd understand that they didn't break any laws.

I don't know that.

Do you? Really?

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

They certainly have Carte Blanche to NOT enforce the laws they don't want to. No one can tell me they don't.

Exactly. Especially when they didn't break any laws, at all. Some people will just support this BS to troll, others are sheep who have no damn clue.

Jesus, I am sure glad they broke up that gambling gang of grannies in Florida! I feel SO much safer up here in Colorado because of it.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I don't know that.

Do you? Really?

Yes, because I read the article and a few others. I'm assuming you're here to troll. Have fun with that.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I don't know that.

Do you? Really?

Yes, because I read the article and a few others. I'm assuming you're here to troll. Have fun with that.

OK. I missed part of it.

Still, police respond to complaints. That is their job.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join