It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Terrorists take 170 hostage incl. French military personnel, US & Chinese citizens in Mali

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ecapsretuo

A couple things to consider, as you mentioned Boko Harem and between them and ISIS constitutes around 40% of terror attacks around the world with Boko Harem taking a slight lead.

That said, where they came from and who finances them is certainly open for debate.

Now what appears to be transpiring here is a real head scratcher. These aren't random citizens being targeted, we are looking at another potential Benghazi situation. And if we are responsible for their birth as well, it will be yet another example of the dog biting the hand that feeds. When will we learn.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
RT now reports 9 dead.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
BBC

Gunmen shouted "Allahu Akbar" as they stormed the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako, a security source told Reuters news agency. This means "God is Great" in Arabic.

I wonder which group takes responsibility. If ISIS does this will be interesting, BTW Boko Haram is now ISIS. They are allied and carries the same flag.
edit on 20/11/15 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

If they've let those go who can quote scripture, seems to me they're not expecting any ransoms to be honored.

I think this may very well end in a bloodbath regardless. Certainly if there are 8-10 baddies in there, even if the army sieges the hotel it doesn't look good for the hostages.

link   

originally posted by: Exitt
Breaking news? not to me it isn't.

Why do people still fly out to these places is beyond me. Risking your life and your children's lives for a cheap holiday, sad times we live in.

What's the fun in that?
Let's all stay at home, watch television, eat chips and coke, complaining how f
d the world is and die of obesity. What's your story then?

If it's not a terrorist attack, you will get wiped away by a tsunami while sunbathing on your favorite beach or your hotel will fall down on you during an earthquake or you get lost in the jungle or eaten by a polar bear,...

It seems like they got you right where they want.

We all die anyway, so why do anything at all? The show will still go on

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

If they've let those go who can quote scripture, seems to me they're not expecting any ransoms to be honored.

I think this may very well end in a bloodbath regardless. Certainly if there are 8-10 baddies in there, even if the army sieges the hotel it doesn't look good for the hostages.

Maybe they have demands but are also ready for the demands to be turned down hence releasing people who can quote scriptures. They dont want them to be harmed in case this gets bloody.

I think I will disagree with you here. I expect we will hear about the demands soon.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Mali's Presidents Office tweets that 170 people held hostage.

MALI | L'Hôtel #RadissonBlu de #Bamako attaquée ce matin par des assaillants armés qui prennent en otage 170 personnes #AttaqueRadisson

More info coming in:

"There are six Turkish Airlines personnel in the hotel," Reuters cited a Turkish official as saying.

Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangoté, who is in Mali on a business visit and was welcomed by the country’s president and premier, has been staying at the Radisson Blu in Bamako, local media reported.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   

It wouldn't surprise me but it would seem counter intuitive. They seem to have it backwards.

So they capture military and defense personnel for ransom and just blow up citizens. As usual who benefits?

If I was leader of ISIS I would hold citizens ransom and blow up enemy military personnel. Scan all files and upload them to their internet savvy jihad friends and than set off to meet your 30 virgins. Up is always down.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

For us Euros, Mali is cheaper than Barbados or New Zealand but in my opinion those places are a lot more fun also.
And i'm not saying people should be afraid but simply not go there, that's all. I've got a little boy and nope i won't take him to see the pyramids or hippos any time soon. Doesn't mean you can't get killed while crossing the street on your way to work but Mali, Morocco even Malaysia these days are definitely not 'slight risk' countries.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   

It wouldn't surprise me but it would seem counter intuitive. They seem to have it backwards.

So they capture military and defense personnel for ransom and just blow up citizens. As usual who benefits?

If I was leader of ISIS I would hold citizens ransom and blow up enemy military personnel. Scan all files and upload them to their internet savvy jihad friends and than set off to meet your 30 virgins. Up is always down.

The military personnels who are hostages are there as guests, most probably unarmed. US citizens, French military and airlines personnel make great bargaining chips. The people they let go were people who they thought were Muslims and did not want them to be harmed in case things get bloody.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: asen_y2k

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
French troops now on the scene. For the sake of the hostages they need to just steam in and end crap this asap.

I am not sure army personnel are trained in Hostage rescue. Thats a completely different ball game and requires special forces specially trained for situations like this.

If the army storms the hotel, this could becoe a blood bath.

Hey it's two guys against a Army ffs....Just get in and end it. Stop this pussy footing around. Time is not on the hostages side here.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Exitt
a reply to: Kandinsky

For us Euros, Mali is cheaper than Barbados or New Zealand but in my opinion those places are a lot more fun also.
And i'm not saying people should be afraid but simply not go there, that's all. I've got a little boy and nope i won't take him to see the pyramids or hippos any time soon. Doesn't mean you can't get killed while crossing the street on your way to work but Mali, Morocco even Malaysia these days are definitely not 'slight risk' countries.

Apparantly it was not safe being a tourist in Paris last week. People can get killed everywhere, including while flying to their destination. We should not live in fear, after all, everyone dies one day or the other.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   

French troops now on the scene. For the sake of the hostages they need to just steam in and end crap this asap.

I am not sure army personnel are trained in Hostage rescue. Thats a completely different ball game and requires special forces specially trained for situations like this.

If the army storms the hotel, this could becoe a blood bath.

Hey it's two guys against a Army ffs....Just get in and end it. Stop this pussy footing around. Time is not on the hostages side here.

Many reports including local news sites claim there are 10 Terrorists. I think they should stall it and wait for special forces.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Reports coming in of Belgian and French hostage being killed.

#BREAKING: #Bamako: at least 9 killed inc. French& Belgian. 10 Gunman stormed #Radison hotel holding 150+ hostages 3:10 PM - 20 Nov 2015

Not good, not good.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Here we go! Best of luck boys!

The AFP news agency is reporting that Mali soldiers are now storming the hotel.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Here we go!

Sorry..., but didn't I call that? Way closer to a Benghazi situation. Hopefully the army gets to them before anyone else dies. Real possibility for a suicide bomber.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Here we go!

Sorry..., but didn't I call that? Way closer to a Benghazi situation. Hopefully the army gets to them before anyone else dies. Real possibility for a suicide bomber.

True, you were correct. Now I hope the only people dead are the terrorists.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Interesting they were targeting French/Belgian nationals. Reprisal attack.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Hey you, i totally get what you're saying and if you feel this way that is fine by me.
Just wanted to add something off topic, i've randomly chosen a third country starting with M which was Malaysia so after i wrote my post i went to check if i spelled it right and whatdoyaknow it's in today's news. Google it if you're interested.
Stay safe everybody.

edit on 20-11-2015 by Exitt because: ..

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
AFP:

#BREAKING: At least three hostages killed in Bamako hotel siege: minister 4:07 PM - 20 Nov 2015 149 149 Retweets 15 15 likes

But this appears to be before the army storming. Maybe this lead to the army's decision to intervene.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join