It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'This Is Not Islam': #NotInMyName Campaign Revived After Paris Attacks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
'This Is Not Islam': #NotInMyName Campaign Revived After Paris Attacks

So as many probably already know, ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack in France. Naturally, this is going to set back Muslims relations considerably. However, people aren't giving up. Just to let everyone know that Muslims aren't all evil scumbags, the hashtab #NotInMyName was revived.

"Whoever kills an innocent person, it is as though he has killed all of mankind," tweeted London-based journalist Shehnaz Khan on Friday, quoting the Quran. Khan also included two hashtag with that messages: #TerrorismHasNoReligion and #NotInMyName.

Following the wave of terror attacks that killed more than 130 people in Paris last week, many Muslims and others around the world have revived the hashtag #NotInMyName to take a stand against the Islamic State and the extremism they preach.

#TerrorismHasNoReligion, now THAT is a great hashtag. There are countless examples of non-Muslim terrorism going on around the world.

This is not Islam and these attackers do not follow the beliefs of any religion. The ideology of terrorists is hate. #paris #notinmyname
— Suhail Mohammed (@shadowwraiths) November 14, 2015

I am Muslim, and I stand against any crime/terrorist attack committed by extremists claiming to be Muslim #PrayforParis #notinmyname
— Dania Saltagi (@daniasalt) November 14, 2015

For anyone confused about what we, as Muslims, believe. Remember, terrorism is #NotInMyName. pic.twitter.com/rJ1Zn57RVe
— Noor Al-Khaled (@a_view_so_cruel) November 14, 2015

Getting over having to say #NotInMyName over and over again. FACT: these guys are a bunch of loons with a distorted perception of Islam.
— Tahmina Ansari (@TahminaAnsari) November 15, 2015

"Everywhere, everywhere, everywhere." We must refuse hate and make our world whole again. #lovewins #NotInMyName pic.twitter.com/ILfmSstih5
— Audette (@AudetteExel) November 15, 2015

The hashtag #NotInMyName first gained prominence last September when the Active Change Foundation, a London-based organization that works to combat violence and extremism among youth, launched a campaign showing young British Muslims challenging ISIS.

Just remember, not all Muslims want to kill you no matter WHAT you think their holy texts say.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Just remember, not all Muslims want to kill you no matter WHAT you think their holy texts say.

I just wonder why I dont see left wingers doing this when there is a racist incident in the US. Anytime some random white guy or back woods hick says something racist it becomes a national news story and is reported in a way to shame all white people. There is no liberal out cry to not blame all white people or all republicans or what have you. Anytime a Christian declines to participate in a gay wedding in becomes a national news story on how bigoted Christians in the country are. Are you seeing the contradiction at all?

In any case, a lot more Muslims are extreme than you or other left wingers will ever admit. World wide polling shows large percentages of them support extremist polices or actions. I have no doubt not all Muslims are this way, but you guys are down playing the numbers for the sake of political correctness.
edit on 16-11-2015 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Some of threads that have popped up in the last few days really shows how small minded some people are.

Its a sad world we live in when terrorists have the power to expose the sick ideas some have towards the appearance of people.

Reading threads about treating immigrants as child molesters and Middle eastern looking Muslims being profiled or how Islam is the religion of genocide is just sick and to me coming from an ignorant point of view, just as sick as those terrorists manipulating youngsters in performing their sick attacks on innocents.

Hate only breed more hate.

Knowledge can help battle the hate but it seems the ignorance some possess is just so overwhelming that they cannot see straight and want the keep the ball of hatred rolling, being pushed from all sides of what ever fence anyone sits at.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
What I think their holy texts says, ahem!

This is a big swing from the most ardent atheist on the forum, going to call a big atheist and religious group hug soon

I have read much of the Koran.

I have read what the text says, it's not what I think it says

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I'm praying for an awakening of the great majority of peace-loving Muslims who will not allow murderous scum to act in the name of the Islamic religion.

I fully support my peace-loving Muslim brothers and sisters in this fight.

ISIS, and all Islamic extremists should be marked for death, they are the scum dividing all of humanity to hate, we all need to show this scum how their pathetic attempts to divide us will result in uniting us to the common cause of eradicating this filth from the face of the earth for good.

My children and indeed all of our children deserve the opposite future than the one ISIS and ilk as planned for them.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

World wide polling shows large percentages of them support extremist polices or actions.

This is a great example of ignorance.

World wide polling?

So its not statistically based on on a small number of Muslims but a real world wide poll of all Muslims?

If it is statistical could that not be easily manipulated by doing the polling of say a 1000 Muslims in an area where it is known that many hold a more extremist belief and then advertised as it is and to have people like yourself gobble it up to further your fear of people different from yourself ans support an on going cycle of hatred that will lead to more war in turn which lead more terror?

I thought people were able spot propaganda easier these days, I guess any time an event happens critical thinking gets thrown out the door.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Krazysh0t. ...plz start a thread on the Belgium attack. Most probably doesn't even make American news. On phone so cant really do it myself.Good thread.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

So its not statistically based on on a small number of Muslims but a real world wide poll of all Muslims?

No, polling of muslims in different countries.......

www.pewforum.org...

Tell me, why didn't Muslim countries take all those Muslim refugees??
edit on 16-11-2015 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
True enough. Not all Muslim's want to kill you. Neither do the vast majority of Christians or Jews. That doesn't change the fact that all three are extremist religions. And extremist religions breed extremists. It also doesn't change the fact that the new protected class does things according to their religion in excess of Christianity. Yet no one dares to point those things out. We talk about Jesus camps, Kidnapped for Jesus, Christian parents disowning their children for being gay, the fact that many Christians think a theocracy is a good idea, misogyny, and so on. Muslim's have Christians beat on all of these fronts, and more.

All three of these religions believe you are either one of them, or you are condemned. All three believe they are god's elect or chosen. All three believe when the end comes, they won't have to kill you or convert you. God himself will kill everyone that isn't in the clique, and give the earth to those that are.

No. Not every Muslim is a terrorist. Not every Christian belongs to the WBC, and not every Jew says Goy with disgust in their voice. That doesn't change the fact, they are what they are. A group that believes they are favored by god among humans, and everyone else be damned. Literally.
edit on 11/16/2015 by Klassified because: add

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Care to back any of what you said with actual links and evidence then? Evidence like this:
Are All Terrorists Muslims? It’s Not Even Close

So here are some statistics for those interested. Let’s start with Europe. Want to guess what percent of the terrorist attacks there were committed by Muslims over the past five years? Wrong. That is, unless you said less than 2 percent.

As Europol, the European Union’s law-enforcement agency, noted in its report released last year, the vast majority of terror attacks in Europe were perpetrated by separatist groups. For example, in 2013, there were 152 terror attacks in Europe. Only two of them were “religiously motivated,” while 84 were predicated upon ethno-nationalist or separatist beliefs.

We are talking about groups like France’s FLNC, which advocates an independent nation for the island of Corsica. In December 2013, FLNC terrorists carried out simultaneous rocket attacks against police stations in two French cities. And in Greece in late 2013, the left-wing Militant Popular Revolutionary Forces shot and killed two members of the right-wing political party Golden Dawn. While over in Italy, the anarchist group FAI engaged in numerous terror attacks including sending a bomb to a journalist. And the list goes on and on.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Yea. I learned about this attack this morning and as soon as I heard about it I knew that ATS must be a # storm of intolerance. As soon as I saw that article, I knew it had to be posted.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

This is a fair point and is certainly one of the reasons why I despise all three Abrahamic religions, but I'm not going to hate you just because you worship it. I want you to actually give me a valid reason to do so before I throw my hate at you. Hate is a VERY powerful emotion, and people shouldn't be so willing to throw it out.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Care to back any of what you said with actual links and evidence then? Evidence like this:

I posted a link to the pew polling.

www.pewforum.org...

Other polls that show the problem is more than just a "tiny minority":

www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org...
www.pewglobal.org...
www.telegraph.co.uk...
www.cbsnews.com...&date=2011-04-06
www.worldpublicopinion.org...
pewresearch.org...=60

I can post more if you like.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Which makes the manipulation even easier.

A small number from here and there all add up to make a high percentage.

Lets say it was 200 Muslims from 10 different countries making the polling done on a total of 2000 Muslims and that used as the statistical view point.

It would be quite easy to find out with a little investigating where to do the polling in each country to get negative results as in a high percentage of Muslims condone or have extremist ideologies.

As the numbers grow its harder to get such results that is usually why polls are done on lower numbers, to use as manipulating factors to further a certain agenda.

Anyone could do a poll using the same technique of a little investigating and find there to be 0% of Muslims of having extremist views.

All I could do is give you my speculative opinion, if you want facts go out and investigate them, however I doubt you will get your answers as you would need to contact people who call the shots in the Muslim counties you have in mind.

You have Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Iraq all with large Muslim populations taking Syrian refugees. these countries are actually have the highest numbers of refugees from Syria.

Or do You mean countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia?

What do you mean all those Muslim refugees, are you talking about Syrian refugees?

Not all Syrians are Muslims. Yes a majority are but if you want to talk so vaguely and do so much generalizing then there is nothing to discuss.

Generalizing and vague statements just lead to misinterpretation, just like how polling and statistics can do.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

This is a fair point and is certainly one of the reasons why I despise all three Abrahamic religions, but I'm not going to hate you just because you worship it. I want you to actually give me a valid reason to do so before I throw my hate at you. Hate is a VERY powerful emotion, and people shouldn't be so willing to throw it out.

Much better to replace it then ... with indifference?

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Are you sure that isn't Muslims who just don't agree with the western way of life? They like their way of life better and want to live that way. That doesn't necessarily mean they are violent though.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I'm NOT islamophobic or anti-islam or have ANYTHING against the religion, but I AM trying to better understand. When they say:

When you encounter your enemies who are idolaters, invite them to Islam; should they accept, they are your brothers. If they do not accept, ask them to submit to the state of Islam; should they not accept that either, ask help from Allah and make war on them

I just don't understand this ^ right here - what context could "make war on them" be?
edit on 16-11-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Great hashtags.

This knowledge is as simple and reflexive as breathing, it doesn't require even thinking about it. I don't understand why it is so difficult for so many to grasp this. The only reason I can ever seem to come up with is that those who condemn an entire religion or an entire color of skin or entire ideology are just as brainwashed as the extremists they fear.

'One bad apple spoils a whole barrel' is not an apt metaphor, especially when you're willfully placing good apples into the one with the rotted. That's not a good way to mentally group people. There should be a good barrel, a bad barrel and an I don't know yet barrel.

Most people: Muslims, atheists, Christians, Wiccans, Buddhists, Hindu, white, black, brown, Asian, liberal, conservative, progressive, rich, poor, smart, stupid... are going to go in the good barrel. Murderers, rapists, dictators, war mongers, the greedy, extremists in religion (any or atheist) that use their religion (or lack of) to suppress or to justify mass murder or go to war to spread or eliminate those who believe differently... go in the bad barrel.

The reason that some of us non-Muslims defend Islam so much is because the majority of Western people's are entirely wrong in their concepts of Islam. Reading the Koran (if you actually have and not just cherry picked verses other Islamophobes pointed out) is not enough. It requires trying to understand Islamic cultures and how the Arabic language works. It's not as simple as word for word translations.

It's not a perfect religion or culture by any stretch. What is? There's a lot of things that I don't like about the way many cultures interpret, practice and live Islam... to me they misuse it. But, those things that I don't like, don't threaten me, or the West. Those things can be found in every culture, every religion (or non). Those things can only change if the culture is left alone to revolutionize and break their own chains from within. Here in the US the level of equality and freedom (though not perfect) we have is because no-one was bombing the crap out of us.

Terrorists scare me and hurt my heart when they do horrible things like WTC and Paris but what scares me more and hurts my heart more is blanketing, the willingness to kill millions of innocents when only .00001% of the 7 billion people that live on Earth belong in the bad barrel.

Sorry I ranted.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

www.pewforum.org...

38,000 people speak for almost 2 billion?

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I think we need a new name for it. I'm at a loss for what that descriptor might be but it seems like something more than simply radicalized Islam.

It's anti-modern, anti-Democratic, anti-woman, anti-human.

It's not really any different than any fundamentalism -it's a pathological fear of progress.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join