It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Hate Being 'Shushed'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I have been thinking a lot about my emotions lately and trying to analyze where they come from and what causes them. There really aren't many things that can elicit an emotional response from me other than someone trying to take my freedom, but the one that instantly makes me irrationally angry is being 'shushed'.

I wish this didn't bother me because I don't like to let emotions control me or keep me from acting in a logical fashion, but this drives me nuts when it happens. It is so rude, so dismissive that I instantly get angry. It isn't just the 'shush' itself, but anything similar that basically tells me to shut up or be quiet.

Anyway, I have been wanting to post this for awhile because I wondered if anyone experienced irrational anger or emotions from this particular rudeness or maybe you have another pet peeve that drives you nuts that you are willing to share.

Thanks, I feel better.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Shhhhhh. You don't want to be getting people pissed off.

Hows that work for you?

I used to take out my anger on a deer, putting a different face on it as I shot it seven times. It makes you feel so good.
edit on 15-11-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Reminiscing back to your photo thread, you don't look like the kind of guy that someone would want to shush, or it could get a little rough for them lol...

I hate that too, I also hate the "move along nothing to see here" attitudes.

But that's mainly online.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Ha, thanks!

Actually, I am a surprisingly nice and gracious person when you meet me. I save most of my arguments and anger for online and try to treat people with dignity and respect in my daily life.

I like a person...it's people that suck.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I hate it too, however -

- I am aware that I have the kind of voice that really carries (the result of years in community theatre perhaps), and that I tend, without realizing it, to gradually raise my voice if I am conversing about something that really interests me, so...

...I try to be good natured about "shushes", even though they make me want to slap the heck out of the 'shusher'!!

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Ha - I'm with you, OP. I had a bastard boyfriend who would make me go insane by shushing me.
There are few things that make me lose it... but that is one.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I hate being shushed, too. If somebody says "shut up" to me, it automatically pisses me off.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

its only a slight whooshing noise.
nothing to fret about

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I honestly cannot remember the last time I was shushed or told to shut up.

Hasn't happened in the last two decades that I recall...not even from my hubbie although I'm sure he has wanted to. lol

I'm not a very outspoken person though. Not online or in real life.

My voice only rises if it's a topic that I have an interest in or a passion for.....

I learned early on in life to pick my battles wisely.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I had a friend who would irritate me in a similar way by ending my sentences for me or say "I know what you're going to say". (He didn't).

Also, he would just interrupt whenever I paused for breath and if he pissed me off would say "Don't get mad" before I'd even opened my mouth.

I thought things would be better after he'd had a large dose of therapy because they taught him how to not interrupt people when they're talking. Sadly they also taught him how to give the other person 'permission to speak' and a lovely little technique for getting the conversation back to whatever it was he wanted to talk about after you'd said your piece.

I'm not really a violent person, but Cor, I was tempted

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Now Dennis, settle down... We've seen how this ends... Hahahaha... It's always Sunny in Philadelphia devoted an episode to finding and shaming the shoosher... I'm mobile so no linky but you can find it I'm sure... If you have never watched the show I recommend you do... It is irreverent humor, that is not for everyone but Charlie Day and Danny Devito are a pair on par with any of the greats. Great show!

PS... Don't shoosh me Bro! I'm making the T-shirts tomorrow!

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
I had a friend who would irritate me in a similar way by ending my sentences for me or say "I know what you're going to say". (He didn't).

Also, he would just interrupt whenever I paused for breath and if he pissed me off would say "Don't get mad" before I'd even opened my mouth.

I thought things would be better after he'd had a large dose of therapy because they taught him how to not interrupt people when they're talking. Sadly they also taught him how to give the other person 'permission to speak' and a lovely little technique for getting the conversation back to whatever it was he wanted to talk about after you'd said your piece.

One of my biggest pet peeves is to be interrupted mid sentence.....I absolutely CANNOT stand it.

Its rude and disrespectful.

I always let people speak their thoughts before I respond...naturally, I expect the same in return.

Sadly, I married into one of the worst families that are known for this.....

I HATE holidays! For this very reason. lol

Just kidding, I just learned to shut up and smile.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

If anyone tries to 'shoosh' you HERE...Go back to your post...and edit it (if there's time) to HIGHLIGHT and double your typeface size.

heh...heh...THEY'LL get the message...oh, yeah...heh...heh!
edit on 15-11-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2015 by IAMTAT because: highlighting

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
For me, it is the people who will take and listen while you talk, and then focus on one tiny, insignificant part of what you just said, and tear into it.

Most of it is completely off-topic / subject. Like a vocabulary word they don't think you used properly, or the example used in a metaphorical way.

I have to remind myself that simple minds tackle simple problems, and obviously what I just said was way above their pay-grade.

Shuushing is so irreverent. It's too bad slapping people is a form of assault. LOL..

Opinions are like.... /cough and they usually stink. Too bad the majority have forgotten how to be able to consider others opinions from their side.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it". -Aristotle.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

One of my biggest pet peeves is to be interrupted mid sentence.....I absolutely CANNOT stand it.

I always let people speak their thoughts before I respond...naturally, I expect the same in return.

There's a guy I know who is notorious for talking over the top of you.

Normal dialogue goes like this:

Person A: Makes a statement or question, then pauses.
Person B: Waits for pause, then responds - then pauses.
Person A: Waits for pause, then responds and so on.

A dialogue with person in question is like this:

Person B: Waits for Pause, starts responding...
Person A: Makes statement whilst Person B is responding
Person A: Continues responding until Person B pauses
Person B: Pauses
Person A: Continues response.

So I have started fighting back with hilarious consequences:

Person B: Continues response whilst Person A is responding
Person A: Continues responding
Person B: Continues responding

Just ends up two people talking over the top of each other, best I've managed is about 20 seconds of talking over the top of him. I try to do it every time he does it, childish I know, but you have to do it.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Manipulative people with control issues are the shooshers. They don't want to hear anything that goes against their grain.

Or they just like irking people by not speaking when spoken to, like not answering questions directly, answering questions with another question, changing the subject, interrupting sentences, poking fun, name calling, hurling insults, embarrassing you, raising their voice, talking over you, making you angry so your train of through is disrupted.

These are shallow, self serving, petty people only interested in themselves and how you amuse them.

You know them right away. They feed off your energy, you provide them with entertainment the way a cat plays with a half dead mouse. Keep feeding them your energy to their cruel amusement or just detach.

Dr. Evil…

edit on 15-11-2015 by intrptr because: YouTube

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I can't stand those that just wait for their turn to talk, and they like to talk. You are talking, they are just wandering eyes, checking their watch and hair, tapping toes, not an ounce of attention on the speaker, no listening so you know they don't even care to listen to you at all. I have ways of dealing with people and have a way of shutting them up if need be.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

People who 'shoosh' you are never really interested in YOUR point of view on the subject at hand. They really do not want a discussion, but DO want an audience.
They are usually control freaks...and basically very insecure.

Great advice above; just detach...save your effort and energy.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: socketdude

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

There's a guy I know who is notorious for talking over the top of you.

Normal dialogue goes like this:

Person B: Waits for pause, then responds - then pauses.
Person A: Waits for pause, then responds and so on.

A dialogue with person in question is like this:

Person B: Pauses
Person A: Continues response.

So I have started fighting back with hilarious consequences:

Person B: Continues response whilst Person A is responding

Just ends up two people talking over the top of each other, best I've managed is about 20 seconds of talking over the top of him. I try to do it every time he does it, childish I know, but you have to do it.

Yep, that's why I avoid people like that as if they have the damn plague.

They are way more skilled in the art of jibber jabber than anyone on the face of this damn earth..

You will never get through to them anyway....

They are beyond fixed in their indoctrination.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Excuse me...

Do I hear complaining?

That's what I thought.

Go eat your smoked meats, watch some football and shut your mouth.

(just kidding)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join