It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah Judge Removes Foster Child (pending adoption) From Home Because Parents are Lesbian

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Beckie Peirce and April Hoagland, who have 2 children of their own, were fostering a little one-year-old girl, working on the process of adopting her (with the consent of the biological mother), when Judge Scott Johansen decided the little girl would be better off with a heterosexual couple and is removing her from the home.

And it's not the first time he's imposed his personal opinion onto the people he "serves".

Johansen said that “through his research he had found out that kids in homosexual homes don’t do as well as they do in heterosexual homes.” She added that, when the judge was asked to show the research, he wouldn’t.
This is not the first time one of Johansen’s decisions — and personal behavior — has been in headlines. In 1995, at the courthouse in Price, Utah, where he served, he slapped the 16-year-old son of a friend who thought the teenager was stealing.
“Seventh District Juvenile Court Judge Scott Johansen has a reliable recipe for turning an underperforming student into a juvenile delinquent, or worse,” the Tribune wrote in 2012. “And, unfortunately, Johansen follows his own recipe far too often when sentencing young offenders.” It added: “That was the beginning of a pattern of incarceration for the boy.”

Johansen’s exploits even led to the short-lived blog “Judge Scott Johansen is a tyrant” after he challenged home-schoolers in Utah to enroll their kids in class, or possibly lose them to the foster system.

Source

Edit: I have contacted staff about the fact that my name is listed as "submission" on the New Topics page.

edit on 11/12/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Wow, this Judge needs to go.

I recall reading an article about a study showing that gay parents tend to have better overall results in measured parenting. It makes sense really, since most gay couples can plan ahead and prepare instead of "uh-oh we're pregnant", and they usually adopt a bit later in life, not to mention all of the red tape and huge expense to adopt.

This guy is either a complete idiot, or is willingly using his "power" to push his own views.

**edit to add- in looking for the study I saw years back, it seems like there are dozens of studies that go one way or the other and one that states kids are no better off and no worse off (I agree). In my personal opinion, a loving home is a loving home; an unstable environment is an unstable environment - I think the environment has to do with the people involved regardless of sexual orientation.

edit on 12-11-2015 by raedar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Those "serving" the Justice System should be held to a higher standard, what the hell is this? He's supposed to be enforcing the laws, not making such determinations based on his opinion. Granted, there could be more going on here and other factors may be contributing to his decision.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

What an embarrassment. And people keep asking why the LGBT advocates are still fighting for equality. Isn't it obvious our nation is still under the influence of Christian Sharia law?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: raedar
This guy is either a complete idiot, or is willingly using his "power" to push his own views.

I don't know the guy, but his tactics have been a bit unconventional. What bothers me about this story is that the little girl thinks this family as her moms and siblings. They have formed a bond and she feels loved. Tearing her from that home now, could very well have lasting damage. I hope he changes his mind.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Sorry if off topic BH.

But when I looked at your thread in the new threads list it says '(submission)' as the author, not Benevolent Heretic.
Any idea why?

Mods delete if inappropriate for thread.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

No clue. Maybe I'm on probation?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Is Utah that quaint little Town next to Baghdad?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

This is why LGBTQ+ needs to be a protected class of citizen. If that were the case, it would be easy to appeal this judge's verdict then have him impeached for violating Civil Rights laws.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
After reading that.

This guys is just a dick.

Sending under-performing students to juvie ?

Slapping kids.

Blocking lesbians with made up data...

Giant A-Hole Achievement Unlocked.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
We can't make enough laws to keep things like this from happening. How do you stop blatant stupidity?

I'm sad the little girl thrown back into the Foster Child system; I'm heart-broken for the parents.

If any of you have ever lost a child for whatever reasons, you are too.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

And it's not the first time he's imposed his personal opinion onto the people he "serves".

Oh, it bothers you when people do that? I guess the left can do it but no one else?

You mad, bro?

link   
What is this guy, a f_n closet dominionist? He needs to be de-throned, and have his license to practice law revoked permanently. I would say he can work at McDonald's, but I would feel sorry for the kids working with him. We need an island to put people like this on.

edit on 11/12/2015 by Klassified because: eta

link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Probably in time, as the older generation die off, so to will their ways.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot

Oh, it bothers you when people do that? I guess the left can do it but no one else?

You mad, bro?

Why are you making this thread about partisan politics? I didn't see BH condemning conservatives in the OP.

(post by HighDesertPatriot removed for a manners violation)
(post by HighDesertPatriot removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You mad, bro?

I think you're missing her point. A judges personal "opinion" does not belong behind the bench. They are to interpret the law, and apply it to the case at hand. Nothing more. They can give their personal opinion, but they aren't supposed to rule from it. A bit different than what you're talking about.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This is why LGBTQ+ needs to be a protected class of citizen. If that were the case, it would be easy to appeal this judge's verdict then have him impeached for violating Civil Rights laws.

And that right there outs you as a hypocrite. You gay commies go on and on about "tolerance", yet you have none.

Krazysh0t is neither gay nor Communist as far as I know.

I do happen to be gay, and I'm not offended to be called a Communist, even though I don't happen to be one.

I'll be glad to discuss the matter with you; how exactly is having a child ripped from your family about "tolerance"?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

You mad, bro?

I think you're missing her point. A judges personal "opinion" does not belong behind the bench. They are to interpret the law, and apply it to the case at hand. Nothing more. They can give their personal opinion, but they aren't supposed to rule from it. A bit different than what you're talking about.

Ah, got it. The law is open to interpretation by a left-leaning judge, but not by a right-leaning one. Understood.

edit on 12-11-2015 by HighDesertPatriot because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join